Notices

Injector 4 fault, and faulty fuel pump.

Search this Thread

Old 15 May 2011, 05:21 PM
jabran200
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Injector 4 fault, and faulty fuel pump.

This is a really odd one and I can't figure out what is going on.

I drove the car on wednesday and parked it at night and in the morning after about 5 minutes of driving the car hesitates and stutters etc so I checked the codes and 17 pops up which is injector 4 fault.

As I don't like to blindly change parts etc I switch the 2 and 4 injectors over but the fault remains at number four...

I checked the signal and it is pulsing just fine.

I decide to start the car and check the diagnostics again and it won't start, check the fuel filter out and no fuel is coming out. Checked the fuses first and everything is fine.

I have to mention that it has become progressively worse and struggles to idle now.

Fuel pump has priming power as well as power when cranking but still no fuel, gave the pump cover a thump whilst someone is cranking and it starts and idles but leaving it for 10 minutes or so the same issue.

Now why I am getting an injector 4 fault and what else can I check? as honestly switching inejctors and checking for power is all that it can be imo apart from fuel supply but how can the Engine management know this?

I have a feeling the faulty pump is causing the error but it needs changing anyway.

any opinions or advice is welcome as this is really really odd as it happened all of a sudden.
Old 15 May 2011, 05:31 PM
shane_evans
Scooby Regular

Is no.4 the last injector to get fuel? so if the pressure is not being maintianed then it wouldnt be getting enough fuel causing it bring up a code?
Old 15 May 2011, 05:46 PM
jabran200
Scooby Regular

No, Fuel filter feeds to no.4 first.

I started off thinking it was faulty injector after checking for power at the injector plugs but swithcing the injectors proved it wasn't at which point the fuel pump start acting up and I just checked again now after leaving it for a while and there is no priming or fuel during cranking.
Old 15 May 2011, 05:50 PM
shane_evans
Scooby Regular

I hear mine priming before i start the car, although i swapped mine for a walbro. Have got a spare fuel pump, or know someone locally who has. I have 2 standard ones but i am in essex. Is there fuel before the filter? just incase the filter is shagged.
Old 15 May 2011, 09:56 PM
Eprom
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get bucket, remove feed to fuel filter. place pipe in bucket and try cranking it over, it should start flowing, if not fuel pump or relay could be shot.
What My year would help
Old 15 May 2011, 10:13 PM
jabran200
Scooby Regular

Nah no fuel before the filter either. I don't know anyone local that has a spare pump either.

I am pretty sure it is the pump as some taps get it going but pretty poorly as tickover is rough.

It has power to the pump during cranking so won't be relay.

Might investigate it again tomorrow.

Anyone know any good deals on some walbros?

Last edited by jabran200; 15 May 2011 at 10:14 PM.