Notices

Power Steering Leak

Search this Thread

Old 19 April 2002, 05:15 PM
juninho
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've got a leak from me power steering resevoir, and was wondering how hard it is too remove the whole pump, so oil doesnt go all over the engine block and exhaust when i take the resevoir off.

Any help appreciated

Mark
95 WRX
Old 19 April 2002, 06:04 PM
dhorwich
Scooby Regular

Hi,

Ive heard that they leak often come from the 'o' ring on the reservoir... i think mine is leaking too..

Dan
Old 20 April 2002, 06:28 AM
CRAFT
Scooby Regular

Talking

Hiya, wouldn't bother taking the motor off m8, as you'll still get fluid everywhere. Best thing to do is to get a turkey baster, and drain as much fluid as possible, and on top of the pump, stuff plenty of kitchen towel. Once most of the fluid is out then completely remove the res and the cradle it sits in, as there is a O ring under the cradle that might need replacing as well(usally does). When you've replaced the res O ring and you push it back into the hole, you should feel it resist the pushing(oo'err) then pop in, then you know you've got a proper seal. Then just refil. Pour some hot soapy water over the area, then start your motor and put on lock to lock to get the fluid into your system, perhaps get someone to do it for you so you can check for leaks, usually found at the back of the res on the cradle.
It's not a hard job, just make sure you get a few different sized O rings from 25mm-10mm, can't remember the exact size, just grabbed a handful from work
Hope this helps, and if you have any more queries, drop us a line.

CRAFT
Old 21 April 2002, 05:21 PM
Octane Man
Scooby Regular

Talking

Junihno..

Looks like it's that time of year for power steering leaks, I know of 4 people now who've had a similar problem in the last few weeks.

Although mine was a bit more serious with a Power Steering rack overhaul required, I checked out my "O" Ring seal between the reservoir and the pump. Using a turkey baster is ideal although I didn't have one at the time and just let it all flow down the engine, I steam cleaned the engine afterwards.

I checke the O ring and it looked fine, but to be on the safe side I used some Silicon Gasket Sealant to give a good seal.

One thing to note is that a garage told me that the seal on the caps frequently go and this causes fluid to leak out from the cap.

Cheers

O.M.
Old 21 April 2002, 09:44 PM
rayman
Scooby Regular

Craft fixed my power steering leak at a motorway cafe!!!!! and it has been okay since then juninho.

Cheers Craft any luck on the colour change on the reservior?

Old 22 April 2002, 06:50 AM
CRAFT
Scooby Regular

Talking

Not yet m8, been tooo busy at the mo, don't worry, I'll have it done by Trax......which Trax, I don't know

CRAFT