odd noises on part throttle

Search this Thread

Old 13 May 2011, 12:51 PM
markb_s1
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default odd noises on part throttle

Afternoon folks,

I'm pretty new to Subarus (as in i've had one a week!) and last night i noticed a bit of a strange noise on part throttle.
the car's a jdm my93 classic with god knows what done to it to make I'm told around 300bhp. bits i know about are blitz nur spec exhaust, massive cone filter, td05 turbo. it's on the slanty type intercooler. unsure what boost it's running as there's no gauge at the moment.

The strange noise in question only happens on part throttle as i'm cruising/accelerating very gently and the turbo is just around the boost threshold, and sounds almost like compressor stall, but slower.
it's almost as if air's hitting the blades too fast for the speed of the turbo is you see what i mean. never noticed it until yesterday night but that doesn't mean it wasn't there before. am going to see the mate i bought it off tomorrow so he can tell me if that's normal or not!

doesn't seem to affect performance at all - no hesitation or anything, and if i plant the throttle it takes off up the road with no problems.

the only thing i can think of that has changed that might possibly effect the turbo is the chrome plate dropped off the end of the dirty great cone filter on the car. i haven't refitted it yet, and from looking at the filter it doesn't look like there's any opportunity for air to enter directly form the end of the cone, but then again, the plate does have some slots cut in it but whether that's just for looks or actually does dsoemthign i don't know.

anyone got any ideas? i'm just getting a bit paranoid about blades touching the compressor housing etc etc, and as i've only had the car a week i could well do without the expense of a new turbo or even engine... especially when i need to get some coilovers for the rear too!

thanks.
Old 16 May 2011, 09:24 AM
markb_s1
Scooby Regular

turned out to be the chrome bit off the air filter in the end, in case anybody's interested.
Old 16 May 2011, 12:12 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You are running DV or Recirc Valve?
If not/yes you are probably hear just turbo chatter via Cone filter

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7Xga...yer_detailpage
Old 16 May 2011, 03:06 PM
markb_s1
Scooby Regular

not running either... just loads of bungs all over the place

i get loads of chatter when i lift off throttle, btu the thing that was throwing me was the fact that it was happening on part throttle or when accelerating gently.

no youtube at work unfortunately so can't see the video.