Notices

Exhaust Questions

Search this Thread

Old 11 May 2011, 10:45 PM
Loco
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust Questions

ok guys, just a few niggley technical questions that I could do with some help with!! I like to understand how things work, and I'm just not very familiar with these particular points:

1) do classic cat back exhaust systems fit newage? I have seen that some do, such as the afterburner vortex system - something to do with the hangers? if this is the case, will all fit? what are the differences between the classic and newage cat back exhausts? (I understand that the turbo back systems are rather different).

2) on newage exhausts, in terms of turbo back systems - how would i go about hooking up an aftermarket 3" exhaust to the original 2.5" turbo outlet? do all exhausts come with a part that starts at 2.5" and expands to 3"? I have heard the word "bellmouth", but not sure if this is part of the actual aftermarket exhaust, or another part that is needed.

3) the same questions as above really, but for cat back - how would I go about attaching a 3" cat back exhaust to (for example) the prodrive 2.5" sports cat already attached to my car? Is it even possible?

Many thanks in advance for your answers guys!!
Old 12 May 2011, 06:19 AM
Glowplug
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Loco
ok guys, just a few niggley technical questions that I could do with some help with!! I like to understand how things work, and I'm just not very familiar with these particular points:

1) do classic cat back exhaust systems fit newage? I have seen that some do, such as the afterburner vortex system - something to do with the hangers? if this is the case, will all fit?
The answer iirc is, yes.
But you must have the 'complete' d/p fitted to the newage, ie sports cat and 2nd cat or delete pipe, and fit both Classic sections to the newage 2nd section. This is because the center and rear sections are different sizes from MY92->MY01 and MY01->MY07. Once bolted up they both become equal overall.

what are the differences between the classic and newage cat back exhausts? (I understand that the turbo back systems are rather different).
Not that big really.
Emissions laws, mapping and the need for a little fabrication of/to some hangers aside.
I can see no reason why you can not run a MY92 full turbo back decat system on a newage.

I believe to this day that i have a newage system on my MY93.

2) on newage exhausts, in terms of turbo back systems - how would i go about hooking up an aftermarket 3" exhaust to the original 2.5" turbo outlet? do all exhausts come with a part that starts at 2.5" and expands to 3"?
As above, you can just get a full 3" decat system with Classic 'style' decat d/p. The d/p to turbo flange will be the same size, just a wider bore pipework.

I have heard the word "bellmouth", but not sure if this is part of the actual aftermarket exhaust, or another part that is needed.
Bellmouth, as the name suggests, a big open gob into which both exhaust and wastegate gases and ejected into together. As opposed to a Divorced port or a Screamer pipe where the two gases are ejected into separate pipes that mix further down the system.
Some say a Bellmouth is best, others will tell you a divorced port is best. Others may say screamer pipe!

3) the same questions as above really, but for cat back - how would I go about attaching a 3" cat back exhaust to (for example) the prodrive 2.5" sports cat already attached to my car? Is it even possible?
Personally i wouldn't bother stepping up to 3" after the sport cat. Lets face it, the restriction has already been caused. Hence the use of 'true' 3" systems.
I would be looking at a good quality, fully decatted 2.5" cat back system Again iirc, the 2.5" is good to 400bhp, and you should pass emissions on just the sports cat to.
That said, i suppose many have, as yes it is very possible. You can buy or have an adapter made for a few quid.
Old 13 May 2011, 12:14 AM
Loco
Scooby Regular

many thanks for the info mate! very helpful!