Notices

Fuel empty now wont start!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06 May 2011, 08:52 PM
Leonboy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel empty now wont start!!!!

Right i left my scooby sitting for a few days with very little petrol in the tank, went to start it she fires but for all of a second.
Noticed the fuel gauge didnt even budge so filled a can up with a tenners worth and now has nearly a 1/4 full but it still wont fire up.
What am i doing wrong or is there a primer or reset switch somewhere for the fuel pump?

Any help would be greatly appreciated thanks, Leon

By the way the car is a 2000 turbo2000 uk
Old 06 May 2011, 10:02 PM
Leonboy
Scooby Regular

also the fuel pump doesnt buzz on the ignition but i can hear the relay clicking.
Old 06 May 2011, 10:38 PM
kevin wrx
Scooby Regular

if the fuel pump dont buzz on turn off key to prime the injectors,the pumps fubared or the relay is.the best thing to do is turn the key until dash lights come on and u should hear the pump for a split second.
Old 06 May 2011, 10:47 PM
Raptorman
Scooby Regular

If you don't hear the pump 'buzz' try slapping the
fuel tank, it worked for me.
Old 06 May 2011, 10:50 PM
the hamster
BANNED

also known as a tank slapper? lol
Old 06 May 2011, 10:54 PM
madscoob
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

check the connections on the black connector under the back seat /drivers side 1st before you spend any money , well known fault it corrodes and can crack if kids / fat people jump up and down on back seat . my mother in law killed mine and i aint joking
Old 06 May 2011, 10:58 PM
Leonboy
Scooby Regular

Thanks, i cant see why the pump would stop working all of a sudden just as the fuel tank was empty, surely it should be fine as i put some juice in the tank.
I am going to try it tomorrow and put a direct feed to the pump just to test it, just out of curiosity would it bump start?
Old 06 May 2011, 11:03 PM
musso2010
Scooby Regular

If fuel pump is faulty it will not bump start.
Old 06 May 2011, 11:11 PM
Leonboy
Scooby Regular

a direct feed to the pump would determine if its the pump or not, what will banging the tank do? sort of bash it into life?
Old 06 May 2011, 11:22 PM
SLAB
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You have let it run low on fuel my guess is the t bag filter is full of rusty crap, If fuel pump not buzzing when ignition is turn on or fuse, pumps knackered or relay i go with the fuse 1st start cheap worry about the expense later, you could always take fuel pipe of under bonnet not sure which one of the 2 it is, lets go top lolol.
Slab
Old 06 May 2011, 11:23 PM
SLAB
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leonboy
Thanks, i cant see why the pump would stop working all of a sudden just as the fuel tank was empty, surely it should be fine as i put some juice in the tank.
I am going to try it tomorrow and put a direct feed to the pump just to test it, just out of curiosity would it bump start?

Last edited by SLAB; 07 May 2011 at 12:09 AM.
Old 06 May 2011, 11:36 PM
Leonboy
Scooby Regular

what fuse is it? although i cant see any blown from the ones in the engine bay or inside the car
Old 07 May 2011, 12:02 AM
jameswrx
Scooby Regular

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts

First thing I'd do is get a lot more fuel in the tank, worth a try if it was empty. There's a sort of baffle surround around where the filter bag sits, can't remember if it's solid but if it is when it gets really low I guess it's possible to need a certain amount of fuel in the tank for it to go overthe edges of e baffle area.

I know this used to be the case with the old vauxhalls, would need 10 litres plus of fuel if ever completely run out. Stick 5l in and they'd never start.

Originally Posted by SLAB
You have let it run low on fuel my guess is the t bag filter is full of rusty crap, If fuel pump not buzzing when ignition is turn on or fuse, pumps knackered or relay i go with the fuse 1st start cheap worry about the expense later, you could always take fuel pipe of under bonnet not sure which one of the 2 it is, lets go top lolol.
Slab
Bit of a myth this really as your fuel pump pickup is in the same point in the bottom of the tank whether it's full or empty. Also, it's very unlikely to have any rusty crap in the tank anyway.
Old 07 May 2011, 12:08 AM
SLAB
Scooby Regular

try to get or make a 12 volt bulb tester unplug from fuel pump and check to see if there's power better still multi tester, but if your not hearing the fuel pump kick in & all fuses are ok, I would say fuel pump gone
Old 07 May 2011, 12:16 AM
Leonboy
Scooby Regular

im going to try a direct feed to the pump tomorrow and also do the bang on the tank test to try sort it, i did put a tenners worth of jungle juice in the tank, would i need more? I guess the only fault that could be is the fuel pump?
Old 07 May 2011, 12:27 AM
jameswrx
Scooby Regular

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts

Thing is what's a tenner these days, 6 litres? Not enough if it's empty.
Old 07 May 2011, 02:49 PM
Leonboy
Scooby Regular

would the pump cut out if it run dry? as i still having no joy today, its never done this before until the petrol ran out
Old 07 May 2011, 04:14 PM
Turbotits
Scooby Regular

The pumps can overheat and seize if there run dry as the fuel is used to lube them dependant on what pump you have in there
Old 08 May 2011, 09:22 AM
Leonboy
Scooby Regular

im going to take the pump out today and have a look, is this an easy job? also if i want to test the pump from a direct feel what 2 wires on the connecter bok do i use as there are 5 and some are for the fuel gauge
Old 08 May 2011, 10:41 AM
Leonboy
Scooby Regular

i also have about 12-15 litres of fuel in there now
Old 08 May 2011, 11:16 AM
RB5_390
Scooby Regular

Leonboy - i have the same problem with my RB.. I replaced the relay and still got no buzzing from the pump or no fuel being feed to the engine. How easy is it to replace the pump? also i have been told that sometimes the immobiliser can sometimes snag the fuel feed.. but sadly im no electrican and wouldnt no where to start.
Old 08 May 2011, 11:19 AM
Leonboy
Scooby Regular

it is winding me up to be honest, also i want to take the pump out to test it or give it a wack of encouragement but it seems i have to do it the hard way as from removing the rear seats i find i cannot take it out this way
Old 08 May 2011, 11:57 AM
RB5_390
Scooby Regular

it seems the only way you can remove the fuel pump is by lowering the whole rear sub frame which seems a massive job for a part that can go from time to time.. do you know which fuse in the fouse box is the for the fuel pump as its not labelled?
Old 08 May 2011, 11:58 AM
albob
Scooby Regular

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

heres a nice diy for u

http://www.rexnet.com.au/forum/index...-installation/

its how to fit a walbro but show u how to remove pump

http://www.p1woc.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=15828

another here

Last edited by albob; 08 May 2011 at 12:00 PM.
Old 08 May 2011, 02:53 PM
Leonboy
Scooby Regular

Right thanks for the how to guides, i have now managed to get the pump working by a direct feed to the battery and ive had the car running, but as soon as i disconnect this the car dies. i dont seem to be getting any power to the plug that the pump plugs into. What fuse supplies this and which relay as i haven checked most of them and they all seem fine, so i must be missing something. Thanks Leon
Old 08 May 2011, 03:08 PM
albob
Scooby Regular

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

the fuel relay lives on the bulkhead up behind the accelerator pedal (more or less where your right knee points). it is on a bracket with two other relays, the fuel relay is the bottom one (green connector). I have just had a similar problem to yours - mine turned out to be the immobiliser.....
Old 09 May 2011, 12:21 AM
Leonboy
Scooby Regular

mine could still be the immobiliser then as i can hear a relay clicking still to prime the fuel pump, but then still when i turn the engine over on the key the fuel pump doesnt buzz
Old 09 May 2011, 07:44 AM
RB5_390
Scooby Regular

I have at last solved my problem, or so i hope so?! luckily a friend of mine had a breaker he was getting rid of and fortunate enough for me still had the fuel pump in it, as I had come to the conclusion that it must be something to do with the pump after replacing the relay and not getting any luck/change or buzzin from the pump.

I went and got his fuel pump (which we believe is an upgraded model) disconnected my pump from the main connector and plugged in the new and voila, Buzzzzzz... the sound of the fuel pump activating was back again! I'm now waiting untill the weekend to fit and fix the pump correctly with all fuel feeds etc, but I'm 99.9% certain I have found the problem.. fingers crossed!

The immobilsier is a common fault for snagging the fuel pump relay, you can bypass it but this a temp fix in my opinion as you will also need to lopk into the ecu and starter etc

Last edited by RB5_390; 09 May 2011 at 07:46 AM.
Old 09 May 2011, 09:18 PM
Leonboy
Scooby Regular

i have done as you said i am now running the pump off the ignition as i also got told this is better as the current is constant, i will try look into it when i can but i have an idea it is to do with the immobiliser, im happy with how it is now though, was nice to get back in the scooby as its my weekend car and didnt get to use it last weekend.
Glad you got your sorted, doesnt look an easy fix changing the pump if you cant take it out through the inspection cover!
Old 10 May 2011, 06:02 AM
RB5_390
Scooby Regular

As long as you can remove your rear seats, removing the pump is a very simple job. The hardest part of the job is being pateint when liftin the pump from inside the tank as you don't want to break anything or bend your fuel float! I've now got my hands on a standard RB fuel pump as think ahead if I installed the upgraded pump I would most likely need to remap it due to fuel consumption.... Or am
I thinking way to ahead of myself with that?

Quick Reply: Fuel empty now wont start!!!!