Notices

Violent shaking

Search this Thread

Old 23 April 2011, 11:37 AM
wrxsti280
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Violent shaking

Ok, not sure where to start on is one, but car was taken into garage this morning for clutch to be done and fywheel skimmed and lightened, whilst moving the car in the car park and under very light load, i got a very hard shaking through the whole car, almost as if the engine was rattling from side to side at speed, then it cleared and ran fine again, anyone got any ideas what it could be?? Bit of a long shot i know, but thought id give it a go.

Thanks in advance
Old 23 April 2011, 11:42 AM
Alan Jeffery
Scooby Regular

Location: Enginetuner.co.uk Plymouth Dyno Dynamics RR Engine machining and building EcuTek SimTek mapping

Originally Posted by wrxsti280
Ok, not sure where to start on is one, but car was taken into garage this morning for clutch to be done and fywheel skimmed and lightened, whilst moving the car in the car park and under very light load, i got a very hard shaking through the whole car, almost as if the engine was rattling from side to side at speed, then it cleared and ran fine again, anyone got any ideas what it could be?? Bit of a long shot i know, but thought id give it a go.

Thanks in advance
This is what I'd do in any situation where something like that occurs.
I'd start by going back and repeating whatever I did that made that happen. If nothing untoward occurs, I'd try it again, going a bit either side of it, rpm, power, whatever. If I still find that nothing's happening, I'd forget about it.
It sounds like a clutch issue, possibly a burr on the splined shaft, or a minor fouling of the cover drive plate.
Old 23 April 2011, 11:46 AM
Rescue Dude
Scooby Regular

The shaking is after they've done the clutch and flywheel?

If it keeps happening i'd make sure they balanced the flywheel as well as lightening it.

That doesn't make sense. If it was a badly balanced flywheel it would do it all the time.

As above clutch issuse.

Last edited by Rescue Dude; 23 April 2011 at 11:52 AM.
Old 23 April 2011, 11:56 AM
wrxsti280
Scooby Regular

No john, it was when i dropped the car in to be done this morning, i,ll leave it with them and try it aftrwards again, like alan said, most prob duff clutch, but worried it may be yet another symptom of the appallingly mapped simtek ecu to add to the rest!!!
Old 23 April 2011, 12:12 PM
Rescue Dude
Scooby Regular

No john, it was when i dropped the car in to be done this morning, i,ll leave it with them and try it aftrwards again, like alan said, most prob duff clutch, but worried it may be yet another symptom of the appallingly mapped simtek ecu to add to the rest!!!
In that case if its clutch/flywheel it'll come back sorted.
Old 23 April 2011, 12:23 PM
P1Drifter
Scooby Regular

worried it may be yet another symptom of the appallingly mapped simtek ecu to add to the rest!!!
who mapped it ?
Old 23 April 2011, 12:37 PM
wrxsti280
Scooby Regular

Dont want to get into the whole mapping issue again, but if you really need to know pm me.
Old 23 April 2011, 12:44 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

Had a similar scare with mine today, drove 5 miles down the M 62 @ the limit, dog in back so no silly stuff...

Got back in and the check engine light started flashing

Massive shuddering mis-fire and very low EGT then on moving off a heavy metallic knocking....

So make sure you fully tighten the coil-pack bolts next time you change the plugs

Opps !

dunx
Old 23 April 2011, 03:55 PM
fastboyslim
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dunx
Had a similar scare with mine today, drove 5 miles down the M 62 @ the limit, dog in back so no silly stuff...

Massive shuddering mis-fire and very low EGT then on moving off a heavy metallic knocking....

So make sure you fully tighten the coil-pack bolts next time you change the plugs

Opps !

dunx
Hahahahah, thats the worst feeling.
Old 23 April 2011, 06:01 PM
Alan Jeffery
Scooby Regular

Location: Enginetuner.co.uk Plymouth Dyno Dynamics RR Engine machining and building EcuTek SimTek mapping

Originally Posted by dunx

Opps !

dunx
Does the dog monitor your speed? If so, does it have a hot line to the local Safety Camera Partnership? Have you tried bribing it, or maybe a blindfold?

Sorry, I just thought of a better one. Set up its mobile so it only accepts incoming calls!

Last edited by Alan Jeffery; 23 April 2011 at 06:05 PM. Reason: Brainwave.