Notices

Oils just gone amongst other things

Search this Thread

Old 18 April 2011, 09:51 PM
rumsey
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oils just gone amongst other things

really hoping you can help. had my headgasket done aswell as alot of other things,

basically i am having more problems.

basically i have had replaced thermostat, radiator, water pump, oil n filter, cambelt kit, head gasket and inlet manifiold(not headgaset set) also had the clutch done aswell.

i am having 3 problems at the monent which started 30 seconds after i got the car from the garage,

problem 1 - ratling noise when in low revs in higher gears, checked all heat shields but still there.

problem 2 - my oil is dissapearing, i have no smoke from exhaust and no leaks under the car or engine.

problem 3 - may be nothing. just heard a tingy tingy very low noise when i turned of the engine while it is settling down. (maybe nothing)

the link below will show some pics and explanations.

https://www.scoobynet.com/883924-nee...osition-2.html

I have come across another thread which sounds the same, have you ever heard of this before?

https://www.scoobynet.com/general-te...oil-level.html

seriously any help would me much appreciated as you can tell i need it.
Old 19 April 2011, 08:03 AM
kevin wrx
Scooby Regular

when they done headgaskets did they skim the heads,bit of a long shot but check for oil in the water and how much oil is it using.if all else fails take it back to the garage.was it using oil before the headgaskets went.
Old 19 April 2011, 08:19 AM
rumsey
Scooby Regular

no mate it wasnt using it before and yes i did have them skimmed mate. i have taken it back and he has no clue whats going on as most seem to be confused. did you read the thread about the similar thing happening?
Old 19 April 2011, 01:38 PM
A.D.Edmundson
Scooby Regular

Sounds like the bottom end has now failed.... Did he prime the oil before starting???

Any chance you can put a small vid of it? you could also do a compression check...

Ant
Old 19 April 2011, 02:15 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Bottom end: they often go straight after the headgasket is done..
And are especially prone to do so if the heads/block were skimmed but thicker gaskets were not used.

Increased compression ratio=det/knock=dead engine
Old 19 April 2011, 03:27 PM
specialx
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by alcazar
Bottom end: they often go straight after the headgasket is done..
And are especially prone to do so if the heads/block were skimmed but thicker gaskets were not used.

Increased compression ratio=det/knock=dead engine

Our thoughts exactly (although other tuners have argued we are wrong!)

http://midlandscoobies.invisionzone....1&#entry196292

We learnt this years ago after we had a couple let go a few hundred miles after a head gasket replacement, We now will only do a full rebuild and not just head gaskets if the car has done over say 70+k

Hope this helps!

Ads
Old 19 April 2011, 06:16 PM
rumsey
Scooby Regular

cars only done 63k at the mo. bottom end doesnt sound cheap. how much are we talking also even with the bottom end gone wouldnt i be able to notice the oil burning?

what would it intail parts wise? thanks
Old 19 April 2011, 06:33 PM
rumsey
Scooby Regular

Just spoke to my garage about the bottom end and he said there is no sign that is the case. there is no noise common with this also there is no noise when standing. a common sign this is gone is a very obvious noise that can be noticed even when the car is at a stand still. and my car is showing none of that aswell as the fact there is no smoke coming from my exhaust.
Old 19 April 2011, 06:46 PM
Jimbob
Scooby Regular

Seriously you need to take it to somewhere else, I`ve read your previous thread and tbh the garage sound a bunch of numpties.
Take the car to somewhere that knows the engines and cars, and see what they say, it may be something small. Like a oil pipe not having a clip on it so when at pressure and temp the pipe leaks, who knows.

But imho you will NEVER get to the bottom of it using guesswork, cunning, and an internet forum.
It needs someone experienced to spend some time with the engine, and see whats what. There is no substitute for that.

If you can take it somewhere and they say x/y/z and the X and Y were done by the garage causing Z to occur you can have a case against the first garage. But if they say something else atleast you can be assured that they KNOW what the issue is instead of guessing what it is.

Last edited by Jimbob; 19 April 2011 at 06:47 PM.