Notices

MY03 Oil level

Search this Thread

Old 21 August 2003, 12:48 PM
fastfrank
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi,
Just been trying to check my oil level this morning. Parked it at several different positions on my driveway to get it as levelas I could. Can't see any oil on the dipstick when I pull it out!?!? I know the car is level because the Power Steering unit reservior is level at this point. I'm getting no oil lights coming on so I guess it ain't too low.
I stuck about 300ml of Catrol GTX Magnetex in but still makes no difference.

Also:
Does £80 seem a bit steep for an oil change by a Subaru main dealer? £40 oil + ?? Filter + ?? Labour
They said it takes 30mins to do... :-#

Comments appreciated.

Old 21 August 2003, 12:53 PM
darkblueturbo
Scooby Regular

Have you run the engine for a few minutes before checking oil?

And that sounds about right for main dealer prices...
Old 21 August 2003, 12:55 PM
fastfrank
Scooby Regular

nope, this is from cold standstill.
Old 21 August 2003, 03:53 PM
darkblueturbo
Scooby Regular

let it run for 5 minutes, as it suggests in the owners manual (it does in the MY00 one anyway) so the oils warmed up a bit and expands so you should be able to get a reading.
Old 21 August 2003, 04:43 PM
BlueSimon
Scooby Regular

Hi,

Ive 'Lost' my oil twice now (Going for 10,000 next week so they can look at it then), ive put in 3Ltrs in the last 2000 miles, i cant see any oil anywhere comming from the engine and it doesnt smoke, so god knows where its going.

Ive only let it 'Dry' Once (no oil on stick, i hadnt checked it for about 500miles) and keep having to top it up when it gets to min (topped up to 1/2 way)

Some days i dont loose any others i loose loads.

Maybe theres a nice manufacture fault with our new 03's?

Simon
Old 21 August 2003, 05:30 PM
fastfrank
Scooby Regular

Just come back from a burn in North Wales. I'll check the oil with engine warm to see if I get a reading.

Blue Simon : It would be interesting to see what all other MY03 owners say about their oil consumption :-?

Old 21 August 2003, 05:42 PM
fastfrank
Scooby Regular

Question

Just checked the level. I can just see about a 5mm smidge of oil on the end of the dipstick...

.. I remember watching 'Deal on Wheels' once about buying a second hand Porsche 911 and they said you needed to check the oil when the engine was on due to the type of engine (boxer maybe???). I wonder if the same rule applies here?

If its any consolation, when I last spoke to my dealer about the oil level he stressed that they only fill the engines to the 'MIN' mark as they tend to eat anything inbetween. >>>Weird engine design if you ask me.

happy daze
Old 21 August 2003, 06:51 PM
darkblueturbo
Scooby Regular

Strange, never had such a problem. Mine stays between min and max and never drops (touch wood!). Always check it after about 5 or 10 mins of engine running.

If you've just got a tip on the bottom after a drive I'd suggest it definately needs a top up - can't remember the amount it takes to fill from min to max off the top of my head, I'm afraid, but I'm sure someone on here will know...

Don't want to offend, but are you checking the right place on the dipstick? It's between the two little holes, not the little notch further up (made that mistake for a while!). That's on a classic, haven't seen a new age dipstick...
Old 21 August 2003, 06:59 PM
fastfrank
Scooby Regular

yes, i know what you mean about the dip stick notches. The top most one for when the oil expands when it gets hot.

Maybe I'll top up and see what happens.
Old 22 August 2003, 08:44 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Mine was just below "L" after checking it the "proper" way.

Took a litle over half a litre to be full. CHECK YOUR OIL!
Old 22 August 2003, 08:49 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wink

I check my oil, in over 3 years and 32k its not drunk one bit of the stuff

Tony
(MY00 Turbo)
Old 22 August 2003, 09:16 AM
JIM THEO
Scooby Regular

Turn on your engine for 5min and after that wait AT LEAST 20min to cool down. Then check you oil levels.
It's strange but after less than 20-25min you take always oil measurement below "L" mark or this is what happens in my WRX03! Never had this on my MY00.
I added 200ml oil as you last time (it was below "L" - not properly measured) and found when check it after enough mins that my oil is little bit higher than "F" mark so be cautious!
JIM
Old 22 August 2003, 09:34 AM
scoobyslut
Scooby Regular

"CAUTION" !
suggest you dont fill to the very top "F" mark, as turbo engine tend to suck up the excess oil and push it through the turbo pressure hoses and control valves.
Suggest the correct level is sighted between the "Low" and "Full" at mid point. But when checking the level, always leave the stick in the engine for at least 10 - 15 sec's before pulling out to check as they tend to read slow onto the stick.
Old 15 October 2003, 04:58 PM
e02923
Scooby Regular

Just come in from checking my 'levels'... My MY03 was also just below the lower mark so have put in about 1/3rd Litre.
The engine was warm (after a run to fetch oil !!)... It was also left for about 20 mins to settle... I checked the level again and 1st time it read about 2/3 way up between top/bottom mark. Second go it was lower !!!
Glad its not just me... Thought I was cracking up ! I have done just over 6000 miles and its the first time I have put any oil in.
Anybody found out where it's going yet !?!?!?!
I don't want to overfill - But more important, I don't want to run out !!
I will check it over the next few days and see what happens...
I have got enough to be paranoid about owning a Scooby - without loosing the oil !
Old 15 October 2003, 09:18 PM
scoobyboy
Scooby Regular

just been on the course for the new legacy where we found out that subaru have redesigned the piston rings so that there is not as much tension on the bores this in their way of thinking then enables the pistons to move slightly quicker. this redesign is also in the foresters, they didnt let on if it is in the imprezas but it may be and could explain why some are using a bit
Old 15 October 2003, 10:02 PM
JIM THEO
Scooby Regular

Australian WRX03 owners suffer the same from oil consumption the first few miles, although they have different engine from European models with AVCS, higher CR, different turbo design etc so it seems that all the new age WRXs have this "problem", in my car I add less oil between changes now and hope it will stops completely next time at 15K service.
JIM
Old 16 October 2003, 01:49 PM
Miniman
Scooby Regular

I've noticed a couple of threads about oil levels over the last few weeks.

I have a similar problem on an MY02. Other threads seem to suggest its later models (not the classic) with this disappearing oil problem.
Old 16 October 2003, 06:30 PM
fastfrank
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

NEWS: I did the oil change at 7500 miles and have since kept tabs on my oil level (now at 8000) and all seem ok, no drop in level. PLUS the fluttering noise under hard acceleration seems to have vanished! I'm using Shell Helix Plus (10w40 grade) till the 10k service and then I'll specify fully synthetic. I'm AMAZED how much different the car is to drive since change the oil!

I'm still a little concerned to what oil was in the car after my 1000mile service as they are supposed to take the mineral stuff out and put semi back in. It didn't smell like normal oil when it drained. I hope the dealer wasn't naughty in charging my for something they didn't do!! :-#..

Over and out.
Old 17 October 2003, 01:57 PM
MadMark
Scooby Regular

Mine used nothing in the first 1,000 miles (treated her very gently), but I have put in 1.5 litres between 2,000 and 8,000 miles. Not used any since (and now up to 9,800 miles) and booked in for 10,000 mile service!

If it is off the bottom of the dipstick, you will need to put in about a litre to get it just below the full mark.

I have found that if you have recently run the car, the oil level comes up as significantly lower than when taking a "cold" reading.
Engine running oil level only applies to a 911 flat six as they are dry sumped.