Notices

Help Please..... :(

Search this Thread

Old 18 April 2011, 01:46 AM
STI_Kid
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Help Please..... :(

On the 16th of April, couple of days back I bought a 2001 Bugeye Impreza WRX. It has a boost problem which is really getting me worried and worked up

Problem:

For example I'm driving in 3rd gear, i tend to give it some and as it hits 3.5k rpm, its like its hitting a brick wall. The boost feels like its just cut out and its hesitating! Check engine light also flashed when I did this.

Steps took to find out problem:

I had my mate hook his snap on diagnostic machine to it and it came back with
  • Temperature Sensor
  • Cylinders 1 , 3 , 4 Misfire
  • EGR Circuit High Bank 1

Although my friends seems to think, it could be the temperature sensor which is leading to the boosting problem as the ecu can't determine whether the vehicle is at operating temperature or not. The temperature sensor always stays on the marker before the centre of the gauge where its meant to be! The seller did say he has previously had STI 8 clocks installed but removed them prior to the sale! Could this be the fault or is it the actual temperature sensor as it came up on the snap on? Also everything else works on the speedo apart from the fuel which is kinda lazy, temp doesnt go to normal halfway line and the lcd backlight for the mileage doesnt work!
He also asked if the scoobies had coilpacks and i said i didnt know and then mentioned that the 'hit into wall' dilemma could be down to the coilpacks he believes 99% if they have one! Also asked if the subaru had the spark plugs changed and i said no. They seem fine to me as the car starts first time, doesnt have the idle going up or down but stays in one place so i can only assume its either the temperature sensor or coil packs?

Please could you help me people as i've saved up so much to buy this car and now i'm having problems . I feel really upset i mean it drives absoloutley fine until you hit boost at around 3.5k rpm. I just don't know what to do. Is it really the temp sensor?
Old 18 April 2011, 02:08 AM
every1sgottablue1
Scooby Regular

Yes they do have coil packs, they are located on top of the engine with the ht leads going in to them. Sounds like fuel cut that you are experiencing. could be due to a number of things. Is the car de catted without a re map?
I'm not an expert but the things you mentioned probably wouldn't cause fuel cut, apart from the cylinder misfire. basically its the ECU stopping the fuel because it experiences a problem.
I'm sur an expert willl be along to give you some proper advice

Last edited by every1sgottablue1; 18 April 2011 at 02:09 AM.
Old 18 April 2011, 02:10 AM
STI_Kid
Scooby Regular

Yes its got a decat on it and you can clearly hear the turbo whistle! I don't think it has been remapped? I thought fuel cuts would happen at the redline usually although i'm not too clever with these things..
Old 18 April 2011, 02:15 AM
rosschalmers
Scooby Regular

defo sounds like fuel cut. have you got a boost gauge? i had the same problem and it was a split actuator hose causing it to over boost
Old 18 April 2011, 02:19 AM
STI_Kid
Scooby Regular

Thank you guys so much for helping me at this time. You really made me calm down a little. I've just turned 20 and i thought id come back to subaru ownership as i really did miss it but now i've got problems and its like almost 2.30am and i can't sleep because i got this car related problem and its just got to me.

Yes i do have a boost gauge but i didn't install it myself as i bought it with it. I believe its a electronic one as i have been told.
Old 18 April 2011, 02:20 AM
every1sgottablue1
Scooby Regular

I believe fuel cut can happen at any revs, due to the ECU command. Also with a decat without being remapped it is susceptible to it due to over fueling.
Old 18 April 2011, 02:23 AM
STI_Kid
Scooby Regular

^^ So that explains the pops and bangs which means its running rich then?
Old 18 April 2011, 02:25 AM
STI_Kid
Scooby Regular

EDIT: So what about the diagnostic issues or are they stupid things that i should leave till later?

I've just read another thread on here and its deffo fuel cut by the sound of it! He accelerates like me and as soon as he reaches 3.5k rpm its like hitting a brick wall but if he accelerates slowly, its fine!

So whats the cure then? remap?
Old 18 April 2011, 02:38 AM
every1sgottablue1
Scooby Regular

Would definately suggest a remap, but the cylinder misfire sounds like a problem. You could always give an expert a ring, and I'm sure they would give good advice. API David on here from API engines is very good, just do a search on here. Scoobyclinic, Enginetuner are another 2 hope you get it sorted.
Old 18 April 2011, 07:22 AM
B0DSKI
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Defo remap required and be V careful not to drive it on boost until it's done
Old 18 April 2011, 08:19 AM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

befor eyou go spending money on a rempa go and get the fault diagnosed, get it on a dyno and see whats going on. if its a sensor a remap wont solve it.

diagnose then fix is the best route to go
Old 18 April 2011, 10:12 AM
APIDavid
Former Sponsor
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!Support Scoobynet!

Location: @Junc 12, M40 Warwicksh; 01926 614522 CV33 9PL -Use 9GX for Satnav. South Mids Alcatek ECu dealer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Bug eyes have 4 individual coil packs. Not like 97-99 cars which have a single coil pack and leads. They've gone back to every cylinder has a coil, like the up to 96 cars.

It just needs a diagnostic check to establish what is causing the fuel cut and then fix it. It cannot be diagnosed by guesswork on a forum.

Call if I can help

David APi

01926 614522