Notices

98 wrx sti,speed sensor? and boost? maybe?

Search this Thread

Old 22 March 2011, 10:44 PM
mocko
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 wrx sti,speed sensor? and boost? maybe?

hi folks im new to all this had the car three days,when i got it on saturday the guy told me the speedo wasnt working as the speed sensor had gone,he gave me a new one,said it fits straight back onto the gearbox really easily? is this correct? also on the dash the light came on saying " check engine" would this be due to the sensor being down as he said the fault would come up on the ecu and that the car would be in limp mode kind of ? once ive fitted new sensor disconnect battery and theres two wires under the dash? as everytime i try to spool up the turbo the car just shudders and wont go? so i dont even know how quick it is as it just doesnt let me try let it go, is the guy right? or am i about to find out a big problem? the car drives fine normally and doesnt have any smoke either,noticed a slight drip of water too comimg from near the front bumper pass side? please tell me ive not bought a bad one? its just clicked on 118k 98 plater,does seem to look looked after,hope you guys can help cheers kev
Old 22 March 2011, 11:13 PM
witchamptonscoobie
Scooby Regular

im having exacly same prob on my 98 wrx wagon and yes speed sensor, how weird is that
Old 23 March 2011, 12:01 AM
mocko
Scooby Newbie

glad you said it mate was getting a tad worried,
Old 25 March 2011, 09:54 PM
mocko
Scooby Newbie

can anybody shed any light on what these sensors look like and where theyre located as ive had the car almost a week and im unsure as to where it is and dont want to be risking taking the wrong sensor out,i think mine must be a fly by wire as i took my clocks out and theres no cable running into the clocks just wires,cheers
Old 25 March 2011, 10:24 PM
WildPikey
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mocko
can anybody shed any light on what these sensors look like and where theyre located as ive had the car almost a week and im unsure as to where it is and dont want to be risking taking the wrong sensor out,i think mine must be a fly by wire as i took my clocks out and theres no cable running into the clocks just wires,cheers

As your standing in front of your car looking at the engine, Look down the left hand side of the gearbox behind your intercooler and you should see it there on the side of the box, All of the problems you describe would be caused by the ecu not getting a vss signal so nothing to worry about hopefully, Just unplug the wires and unscrew the sensor from the box, Screw new one in and re connect and job done
Old 27 March 2011, 12:50 PM
mocko
Scooby Newbie

Right finally i found the sensor folks,But, the last owner or the guy before him had been having a butcher at the wiring by the looks of it,i wonder if any of you can help me out with matching the wires back up? theyve been cut and just left hanging bare in the bay,not even any insulation tape on them,theres a red and black wire,a black wire,and a white wire too,all just disconected doing nothing,so this would explain as to why the speedo isnt working,and if im right theyre also connected to the lambda sensor in the down pipe fropm the turbo,can any one help with this?,he said he also disconnected the green plug and black plug under the steering column for this prob too? im thinking just maybe try and re-connect them then if no luck take the car to an auto electrician? cheers