Notices

can i run an sti v4 bottom end a v4 uk?

Search this Thread

Old 22 March 2011, 10:44 PM
rentonone
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default can i run an sti v4 bottom end a v4 uk?

Alright guys, just a quick question for the experts, i am building a car using the engine and running gear from a my 97/98 uk turbo car but the bottom end has gone bang and my mate has offered me his complete short engine from his sti v4 because he is upgrading his engine, now i just want to make sure it will bolt up to my uk heads ok with no problems? I have also got another idea which may sound stupid but here goes, i have got a complete sti v4 wiring loom, clocks and ecu, if i was to buy an sti v4 maff sensor and turbo would this run ok? so it would basicly be an sti v4 with uk heads??
Oh and ive also got the sti v4 gearbox and diff.

Any help is much apreciated..

James
Old 22 March 2011, 10:53 PM
banny sti
Scooby Senior

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Hi James yes that combination of sti bottom end and uk heads will work fine, however if you add the maf and turbo you will need a remap and the 97/98 ecu is not mappable at the moment.

If you can get the complete engine inc heads then no problems bolt the maf and turbo on and run using the sti ecu with a dash of octane booster
Old 24 March 2011, 07:30 PM
rentonone
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by banny sti
Hi James yes that combination of sti bottom end and uk heads will work fine, however if you add the maf and turbo you will need a remap and the 97/98 ecu is not mappable at the moment.

If you can get the complete engine inc heads then no problems bolt the maf and turbo on and run using the sti ecu with a dash of octane booster
Thanks mate, so i may aswell just build it back up as a my97/98 with the sti bottom end, will the compression ratio be correct? so its just matter of bolting it back together as i would the uk bottom end and is there anything worth changing while the engine is out like the oil pump etc, i just want it to be a reliable as possible

Cheers James
Old 24 March 2011, 08:57 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Anything worth changing?

Hmmmmmmmm, how about bearings on the engine? I would

Can't say about cr, but it needs checked, too high a cr will kill the engine

I would fit modified oil pump, or, unless youe old engine died due to bearing failure, have your modded. Likewise, have the modine prfessionally cleaned unless you are CERTAIN there is no swarf.

Obviously, new cambelt, tensioner etc.

Maybe do the water pump while it's out?
Old 24 March 2011, 09:23 PM
rentonone
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
Anything worth changing?

Hmmmmmmmm, how about bearings on the engine? I would

Can't say about cr, but it needs checked, too high a cr will kill the engine

I would fit modified oil pump, or, unless youe old engine died due to bearing failure, have your modded. Likewise, have the modine prfessionally cleaned unless you are CERTAIN there is no swarf.

Obviously, new cambelt, tensioner etc.

Maybe do the water pump while it's out?
Thanks for the reply, i will strip down the engine and have a look at the damage, so can i just fit new bearings to the old crank? I will obviously change the belt/ tensioners and water pump and will replace of upgrade the oil pump.

cheers James
Old 25 March 2011, 08:30 PM
rentonone
Scooby Regular

Old 25 March 2011, 10:50 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

What? We've all got nowt to do but answer your questions? Wait, like the rest of us do

Anyway, the crank MAY be OK, but if damaged, you might end up sourcing a new one.

TBH, it often works out cheaper to look for new bits, as reconned ones are either not up to it, or just as dear.
Old 27 March 2011, 10:11 PM
rentonone
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
What? We've all got nowt to do but answer your questions? Wait, like the rest of us do

Anyway, the crank MAY be OK, but if damaged, you might end up sourcing a new one.

TBH, it often works out cheaper to look for new bits, as reconned ones are either not up to it, or just as dear.
Lol, ok calm down

Thanks for the reply, Im basicly buying a fully working sti bottom end from my mate and im just thinking while the engine is stripped down would it be worth giving it a bit of a refresh? ie, new uprated acl main and big end bearings and new oil pump etc.
So basicly im just wondering if new set of acl bearings will work ok with the old crank which is currently working fine with no knocks etc.

Thanks James
Old 28 March 2011, 07:22 AM
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, it would be worth giving it a re-fresh, you might as well whilst it is out. there shouldn't be any problems with new bearings and an old crank so long as the crank is in good order
Old 28 March 2011, 07:51 AM
banny sti
Scooby Senior

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by rentonone
Lol, ok calm down

Thanks for the reply, Im basicly buying a fully working sti bottom end from my mate and im just thinking while the engine is stripped down would it be worth giving it a bit of a refresh? ie, new uprated acl main and big end bearings and new oil pump etc.
So basicly im just wondering if new set of acl bearings will work ok with the old crank which is currently working fine with no knocks etc.

Thanks James
If you are using standard rods dont use the acl race bearings they are too hard for the standard rods but yes they will work fine with the old crank