Notices

Bit of advice needed..

Search this Thread

Old 13 March 2011, 03:49 PM
Rez
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bit of advice needed..

Hi all, well it's been around 6 years since i last posted and last owned a scoob but i'm now looking around again for another.. Just after a bit of advice really.. I last owned a 99 uk turbo (pic below) but after owning a string of TDI's and now a land rover discovery (i know) I'm in the market for a 53/54 plate blobeye wagon.. what is the road tax like on that motor and what sort of specs are available? any tips appreciated, what to watch out for etc, especially from current owners... currently looking at a few on pistonheads, ebay etc etc... here's my old scoob..

Last edited by Rez; 13 March 2011 at 03:51 PM.
Old 13 March 2011, 03:54 PM
tubbytommy
BANNED

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

6 years! petrol was cheaper then! i had performance cars before i brought my sti but when you realise how much 20 mpg cost you in money its bloody scary!
still wouldnt be without it though i just use the mrs astra a lot

cant speak for the wagon but the blob sti i have is 250 a year tax i think
jap spec is far better than the uk i wish i had brought a jdm spec sti

Last edited by tubbytommy; 13 March 2011 at 03:56 PM.
Old 13 March 2011, 04:02 PM
Rez
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tubbytommy
6 years! petrol was cheaper then! i had performance cars before i brought my sti but when you realise how much 20 mpg cost you in money its bloody scary!
still wouldnt be without it though i just use the mrs astra a lot

cant speak for the wagon but the blob sti i have is 250 a year tax i think
jap spec is far better than the uk i wish i had brought a jdm spec sti

lol yeh it was cheaper then.. i've owned diesels since but the disco i have now does 25-30 mpg so i'm thinking may as well get another scoob i'll also be commuting into work on my mountain bike a lot more this year so the car won't be used every day.. well, that's the plan anyway..
Old 13 March 2011, 04:12 PM
BlobEyedRex
Scooby Regular

05 WRX PPP, last year was £235, so glad i didn't buy hawkeye with 2.5 as 1 of my mate's with one paid £430 odd at last year.
Old 13 March 2011, 04:13 PM
tubbytommy
BANNED

and the 2.5 engines have piston melting issues
Old 13 March 2011, 04:17 PM
Rez
Scooby Regular

thanks for both replies.. there is actually an 06 hawkeye wagon with low miles going for less than £6k but i'm keen on the blobeyes.... tax seems better than i expected too so looks like the land rover will be going up for sale soon..

any thoughts on this?

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classifi...1501?logcode=p

bit far away sadly but exactly what i'm looking for...
Old 13 March 2011, 04:29 PM
tubbytommy
BANNED

looks nice and has leather too, just get it checked over before parting with the money
Old 13 March 2011, 04:29 PM
BlobEyedRex
Scooby Regular

I would stick with 2l as tubbytommy mentioned the 2.5 is nowhere near as good as the 2l,

Even cosworth originally built up a 2l for the cs400 when it was in the concept stages, guy at my local dealer was saying that Subaru then wouldn't let them go with it and they had to use 2.5

the 2l has been around for 8 years by the time it was used in the blob eye,so lots of internal changes to components which previously failed etc. think max BHP/Torque on 2l was 350 then on 05, seen figures showing 400 is now the limit.

also 04/05 WRX 5 speed gearbox is internally much stronger then earlier versions again RA spec shot peened gears and selectors, control valve to stop high RPM drops to save gears etc.

Like with any car, try to get as close to the end of it's evolution as possible as you then get all the best bits as well as manufactures use that to get rid of some of the spares mountain they have

my 05 has inverted struts, alloy lower arms & had the STi style end links etc. compared to earlier blobs (03)
Old 13 March 2011, 04:34 PM
Rez
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by BlobEyedRex
I would stick with 2l as tubbytommy mentioned the 2.5 is nowhere near as good as the 2l,

Even cosworth originally built up a 2l for the cs400 when it was in the concept stages, guy at my local dealer was saying that Subaru then wouldn't let them go with it and they had to use 2.5

the 2l has been around for 8 years by the time it was used in the blob eye,so lots of internal changes to components which previously failed etc. think max BHP/Torque on 2l was 350 then on 05, seen figures showing 400 is now the limit.

also 04/05 WRX 5 speed gearbox is internally much stronger then earlier versions again RA spec shot peened gears and selectors, control valve to stop high RPM drops to save gears etc.

Like with any car, try to get as close to the end of it's evolution as possible as you then get all the best bits as well as manufactures use that to get rid of some of the spares mountain they have

my 05 has inverted struts, alloy lower arms & had the STi style end links etc. compared to earlier blobs (03)
excellent advice thanks... the only reason i'm leaning towards 53/54 is that my limit will be around £5k.. i'd ideally like an SL with a PPP fitted including s/s exhaust.. all things i don't really want to spend money on afterwards, which is what i normally do!
Old 13 March 2011, 04:37 PM
BlobEyedRex
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chems
thanks for both replies.. there is actually an 06 hawkeye wagon with low miles going for less than £6k but i'm keen on the blobeyes.... tax seems better than i expected too so looks like the land rover will be going up for sale soon..

any thoughts on this?

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classifi...1501?logcode=p

bit far away sadly but exactly what i'm looking for...
Nice & leather adds a bit of class, I shoudl've got a wagon for when i haul my dogs about, but nothing available at the time i was looking, think wagon owners tend to keep hold of them longer than the saloons + great sleeper once you get the power mods

04 mechanically not seen any real differences to my 05 as i have copies of the workshop manual, yes interior changed but still very nice esp. in leather

Last edited by BlobEyedRex; 13 March 2011 at 04:51 PM.
Old 13 March 2011, 05:31 PM
Rez
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by BlobEyedRex
Nice & leather adds a bit of class, I shoudl've got a wagon for when i haul my dogs about, but nothing available at the time i was looking, think wagon owners tend to keep hold of them longer than the saloons + great sleeper once you get the power mods

04 mechanically not seen any real differences to my 05 as i have copies of the workshop manual, yes interior changed but still very nice esp. in leather
cheers... yeh i've a dog too and need to get my m/bike around so it has to be a wagon.. anyone want to p/x thier wagon for a discovery pm me lol
Old 13 March 2011, 05:35 PM
Minjeeta
Scooby Regular

I'd buy an RS4 if I was having a midlife crisis mate.
Old 13 March 2011, 05:40 PM
Rez
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Minjeeta
I'd buy an RS4 if I was having a midlife crisis mate.
sorry mate, this is my midlife crisis..

thanks for the advice though