Notices

slight crank pulley wobble

Search this Thread

Old 10 March 2011, 08:43 PM
bugeyejohn
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default slight crank pulley wobble

Hi ive read of a few problems on here about scooby crank pulley wobble,anyway i thought id check mine and sure enough its not running true.Its not wobbling like hell just 1/2 mm or so i phoned the subaru garage that fitted the timing belt just before i bought the car,and was told its quite normal to have a small amount of run out.Is this right or is it wise to take it off and check things out and maybe replace with a alloy pulley. Thanks for any help. Ps the bolt is tight as hell.
Old 10 March 2011, 08:49 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Mine, on a classic, developed a wobble that made a tapping noise, due to the rubber between the two parts of the pulley having perished.

An alloy one solved it.
Old 10 March 2011, 09:17 PM
TylerDurden
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bugeyejohn
Hi ive read of a few problems on here about scooby crank pulley wobble,anyway i thought id check mine and sure enough its not running true.Its not wobbling like hell just 1/2 mm or so i phoned the subaru garage that fitted the timing belt just before i bought the car,and was told its quite normal to have a small amount of run out.Is this right or is it wise to take it off and check things out and maybe replace with a alloy pulley. Thanks for any help. Ps the bolt is tight as hell.
Hello m8, I think you should have it replaced with an alloy one asap, last week the pulley on my car had completely seperated from the rubber inside it and was hanging on by the alternator belt!! I think I was extremly lucky, had a GFB one put in, car seems to pull a little better, but the pulley is slightly noisey.
Old 10 March 2011, 09:52 PM
bugeyejohn
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok thanks guys,i think i will get one ordered for peace of mind, better safe than sorry.