up pipe ? and inlet pipe ?

Search this Thread

Old 07 March 2011, 03:38 PM
Dennis86
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default up pipe ? and inlet pipe ?

Hi !
I have a sti v6 type r JDM does it have a cat in the up pipe ?
Have seen many that change the up pipe . Is there any HP to chase there ?

Have seen many samcos/silicone inlet pipes . I wonder if itīs make any more HP for changing to one ?

/ Dennis
Old 07 March 2011, 05:15 PM
bugeyejohn
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pretty sure only newage subarus fitted cats in the uppipe.
Old 07 March 2011, 05:29 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Hi matey you will see more power from Aftermarket headers(not chinese copies or ebay jobies etc) like RCM,Haywards and scott etc.,up pipe i would recommend proven Harvey up pipe,which is proven many people here.
But off course you will need remap as well,if you don't have mappable ECU,save money for mappable ECU and better turbo
Silicone induction hose improvement are,because your old one is restrictive.After fitting our,i notice better sound and better air flow,more BHP around 8-10bhp,due silicone induction hose is smoother and have better flow.
The OEM turbo inlet is very restrictive and causes turbulence all the way along. The silicone version has a wider diameter at it's widest pont and is nice and smooth all the way through. That in itself makes a huge difference just to how much nicer the car drive.
That's my thoughts...Every have different opinions on this.

Jura
Old 07 March 2011, 05:43 PM
Dennis86
Scooby Regular

Okey and thanx for answer !
We fitted a samco intake(the one under the manifold) on a friends car right now .It was a hell to make i fit!
First take off the manifold and then modify some and then it was to big so we cut the silicone about 2cm. Still not fitted nice !

So that why I wonder .. IF Im going to fit one on my type r.
I have ecutech right now by Bob Rawle But just 3" exhaust from turbo and panel filter.

But if I donīt change the turbo or the injectors does it make any HP to change up pipe and intake to silicone ?
Just remap the car with just this mods.
I mean is it worth it ?
/ Dennis

Last edited by Dennis86; 07 March 2011 at 05:50 PM.
Old 07 March 2011, 06:13 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dennis86
Okey and thanx for answer !
We fitted a samco intake(the one under the manifold) on a friends car right now .It was a hell to make i fit!
First take off the manifold and then modify some and then it was to big so we cut the silicone about 2cm. Still not fitted nice !

So that why I wonder .. IF Im going to fit one on my type r.
I have ecutech right now by Bob Rawle But just 3" exhaust from turbo and panel filter.

But if I donīt change the turbo or the injectors does it make any HP to change up pipe and intake to silicone ?
Just remap the car with just this mods.
I mean is it worth it ?
/ Dennis

Hi if its your ECU is mappable and has been mapped before is easier...
Now about the injectors and turbo,Turbo will be perfect for you VF34/VF35 with 550cc injectors,FMIC will be great addon,if you are now using slanty TMIC.Up pipe i would recommend from Harvey here,Silicone hose will be great addon and yes is worth fit induction hose...

Jura
Old 07 March 2011, 06:29 PM
Dennis86
Scooby Regular

Yes and goodbye with the gearbox !
so no injetors and turbo.
I had FMIC on my wrx before (not sti) and it got veeeery lagy boost (stock turbo)
I donīt want to mod to much. Just smal things. Allredy got ecutech licens so itīs not expensive to tune a liiite bit more.
/ Dennis
Old 07 March 2011, 06:53 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dennis86
Yes and goodbye with the gearbox !
so no injetors and turbo.
I had FMIC on my wrx before (not sti) and it got veeeery lagy boost (stock turbo)
I donīt want to mod to much. Just smal things. Allredy got ecutech licens so itīs not expensive to tune a liiite bit more.
/ Dennis

STi gearbox are stronger like WRX,from V34 you will get 350bhp+,from VF35 you will get 340bhp TOP,some make 350bhp VF35
Very laggy on boost,depends which one you have fitted before,if you mean eBay jobies,yes is possible laggy,but not with HDi GT series..
If you don't want too much fit new up pipe with new headers and you will see some difference.

Jura
Old 07 March 2011, 07:01 PM
Dennis86
Scooby Regular

we have one sti v5 type r in sweden that have 370hp with stock vf28 with 750cc injectors on E85 (etanol). So the stock turbo IS possible to get more power of also.
But anyway I just wanted a small uppgrades .
And My sti have TMIC but my old impreza GT (wrx) had FMIC and it was very lagy with stock turbo. It was a greddy copy.
Old 07 March 2011, 10:42 PM
midnight
Scooby Regular

Your vf28 should be good for 315 - 330 bhp ,mine is making 330 bhp and it is a uk turbo 2000 with a vf28 & a few subtle mods .As said above no need to mod uppipe as no cat fitted,and fitting an induction hose is a worthwhile mod imho to smoothen out the air entering the turbo.Did you fit an original samco induction hose to your friends car or was it another make ,as i have fitted a samco induction hose to my old 99 uk turbo & my current 00 uk turbo - both fitted like a glove and i never removed the inlet manifold.
Old 08 March 2011, 06:29 PM
Dennis86
Scooby Regular

Yes , I already got 323hp with bob rawle map
,3" exhaust ,panel filter.

My friend got a copy of the samco but some here on swedish impreza club have compared samco and noname and both were the same shape.
The only thing I wanted to know is if I will get any more than 323hp with silicone induction hose and another uppipe.
And if the answer was yes ,how much more can I get ?
Is it just 3-5hp than itīs not worth it i mean.
Then itīs better to spend the money on 740cc injectors and remap in e85 etanol.
But still donīt want tooo much so the gearbox goes cabooom.
like fitting a new turbo etc...

Originally Posted by midnight
Your vf28 should be good for 315 - 330 bhp ,mine is making 330 bhp and it is a uk turbo 2000 with a vf28 & a few subtle mods .As said above no need to mod uppipe as no cat fitted,and fitting an induction hose is a worthwhile mod imho to smoothen out the air entering the turbo.Did you fit an original samco induction hose to your friends car or was it another make ,as i have fitted a samco induction hose to my old 99 uk turbo & my current 00 uk turbo - both fitted like a glove and i never removed the inlet manifold.