Notices

Stuff in Coolant reservoir

Search this Thread

Old 20 February 2011, 02:24 PM
jabberwocky
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stuff in Coolant reservoir

Hi. I took my car to Richard Henry yesterday who gave it a really quick check and said everything seems good.
He asked me to check the coolant reservoir for any loss in levels. I opened it up today and everything seemed A OK. Nice green colour. The level was nice and high. (just below the cap)

Now, I know this isn't supposed to be done but, I started the car for 10 seconds without the cap on. The reservoir started to fill up with some clear liquid with a reddish tint. I thought (engine oil) but, it had a very watery consistency. I shut it off immediately.

Now, I sometimes experience sluggish powersteering and was wondering if there was a chance the two could have been mixing? Is this the normal appearance of coolant liquid at cold temps?

The engine temps have always been awesome (perfect) Engine oil is clear and without any milky appearances (I feared HG blowout too but, Richard assured me that isn't the case)

Is it worth getting the radiator checked for leaks? Any tips on how to do this? Radweld? Overhauling? New radiator?

Thanks for any and all responses.
Old 20 February 2011, 02:42 PM
Maz
Scooby Senior

Don't stand there in 'uffish' thought. Just get straight back to Andy. Let them check the car and put your mind at ease. I have known/used Richard Henrys for longer than I care to remember, their service and customer care is second to none. Just get straight back to them, at least you will have piece of mind.
Old 20 February 2011, 02:51 PM
jabberwocky
Scooby Regular

By the slithy toves, I'm definitely going back to show it to Richard before I do anything.

I'd just like ideas from the collective. What could be going on? What's the logic behind it.

Sitting by the tum tum tree in uffish thought is something that drives me nuts. Expecially when it's a sunday and Rich is probably enjoying a well desrved nap.
Old 20 February 2011, 03:57 PM
rosschalmers
Scooby Regular

is there radweld already in the system? its a red/brown colour. a a lot of garages add it to the coolant during a service just in case. its more dense than coolant so would make sense its only appearing in the expansion tank when then water pumps going
Old 20 February 2011, 04:03 PM
Maz
Scooby Senior

I wouldn't have though power steering fluid and coolant could mix. The reddish colour may be residue of something within the coolant system.
Old 20 February 2011, 04:46 PM
just123
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by rosschalmers
is there radweld already in the system? its a red/brown colour. a a lot of garages add it to the coolant during a service just in case. its more dense than coolant so would make sense its only appearing in the expansion tank when then water pumps going
I would be surprised if any garage added radweld as part of a service cos it can cause a whole load of other problems including blocking up the heater matrix
Old 20 February 2011, 07:15 PM
jabberwocky
Scooby Regular

well, i understand Ross Chalmers logic and from my description, it could be the culprit. The red colour of the liquid stands out against the green coolant. My first thought was power steering fluid (the dextran has a similar reddish hue)
Gosh! This is so exciting like CSI for the Scoob. No seriously. I get excited easily.

Trending Topics

Old 20 February 2011, 08:28 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Has someone topped up with a different coolant? Mine is red, others are green, even blue. Some DO NOT mix.

I'd grasp the vorpal sword and ask, mate
Old 21 February 2011, 10:10 AM
jabberwocky
Scooby Regular

Thanks guys. I'm going to get this all checked out through the week. Will bleed the old coolant, flush with hot water and top it up with some blue stuff to match the colour of my car.
Alcazar, copying you.

With regards to what Ross said in his initial post, take a look at this youtube video. WARNING 'garish' tones that may make you cringe.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3suQy44G_B0

PS. I don't condone this video
Old 21 February 2011, 11:28 AM
rosschalmers
Scooby Regular

make sure blues the right colour for your engine and not just the same colour as your paint lol seen a lot of damage done to engines with the wrong coolant. dont know what coolant goes in what scoobs, just know mines green, but defo worth a double check
Old 21 February 2011, 12:07 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

COLOUR doesn't seem to matter, it's what's IN it that matters.
I just went to a factors I trust and asked for one for an alloy engine with anti-corrosion stuff in it, and it was fluo red.