Notices

reving high on start

Search this Thread

Old 13 February 2011, 09:34 PM
esxboy1
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default reving high on start

hi i bought a second scooby cheap off fleebay for £500 with a bad water leak , when looking over it noticed it reved really high and as i tried topping the water up the revs ocasionally came down but the water leak was like a tap and comeing out faster than i could put it in !

so i got it home spent a couple days pulling rad out ,aircon pump,alternator etc etc sorcing the leak and found a metal pipe under all the ancilerys that had a substantial rust hole.
so brazed and refitted.

that was a month ago or so and have not replaced water or started as iv stripped bodywork for facelift conversion etc etc.

now im starting to rebuild the body of the car and had to move it on the drive ,only managed to get about a litre of water in the header then jumped it just to move the car,it reved the nuts out ,moved it and shut it off.

not sure if i need to get it warm to get the thermostat open to allow me to get more water in and also wondering why i cant get more than a litre in before the header is full to brim.
ive pulled all the rad out and most of the coolent hoses off so there can only be minimal water in the engine now all is bck together.

any ideas of experiance or should i just start it and let it warm and top up as and when the levels go down?

any ideas welcome
Old 13 February 2011, 09:44 PM
andy-m
Scooby Regular

i would suggest disconnecting the top hose from the rad nd then filling the engine through that, and also filling the rad via the hose connection and then reconnecting the hose, top up header tank, then massage top and botom hoses together and keep topping the header tank. i usualy get all the air locks out like that
Old 13 February 2011, 09:50 PM
esxboy1
Scooby Regular

[QUOTE=andy-m;9880111]i would suggest disconnecting the top hose from the rad nd then filling the engine through that, and also filling the rad via the hose connection and then reconnecting the hose, top up header tank, then massage top and botom hoses together and keep topping the header tank. i usualy get all the air locks out like that[/QUOT

is the lack of water causing the over revving? ive had many scoobys over the years and 9/10 get a water leak/rad problem at some point but ive never encountered the reving issue.

its a uk 2000 my96 standard
Old 14 February 2011, 10:44 AM
andy-m
Scooby Regular

i'm not sure, but if you think there is hardly any water in the engine, then you should sort that if only to eliminate it as a cause and allow you to run the engine longer without risking damage due to inpropper cooling while you investigate further