Notices

HDI Hybrid GT 2 FMIC Pipework doesn't fit?

Search this Thread

Old 10 February 2011, 05:13 PM
Scoobdogg
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HDI Hybrid GT 2 FMIC Pipework doesn't fit?

I recently purchased an HDI GT2 FMIC to fit on my car MY98 STI Type R. Since I lack spare time and am not the most technically minded I put it to the garage which carries out most work for me. Just off the phone to them an they are having a nightmare trying to fit this kit, it has now been the best part of a day an a halfs labour charge coming my way which doesnt leave me best pleased as when you look at the instructions it looks a straightforward job.
What they are saying is that the pipework does not fit the kit, it fouls against various areas including the live terminal for the battery an also prevents the bonnet from shutting correctly basically I think it is bent at the wrong angles!

Has anyone else experienced these problems when fitting this kit if so what was the best/quickest/easiest most cost effective fix?

I am on my way to see them first thing to find out what exactly the problems are and try an get some photos too will update you on this if it helps find a solution.
Old 10 February 2011, 05:17 PM
Ian
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have fitted the cheaper autobahn 88 and this kit my self and never had a problem.

the pipes could be wrong, or the garage not up to the job?
Old 10 February 2011, 05:24 PM
Scoobdogg
Scooby Regular

I hear what your saying.
I would have hoped the garage was up to the job as they build rally cars but then again I could be wrong.
They were saying they have fitted fmic's to Imprezas before though a couple times a had some issues then I duno was it the same kit or not. It could maybe be they are missing something that people have spotted but to be honest I'm not happy at how difficult it seems to have been an the fact it's going to end up putting me out of pocket because of that!
Old 10 February 2011, 05:27 PM
P1Drifter
Scooby Regular

iv fitted 2 of them, no problems with either install. there was either a problem with your kit (which i doubt) or your garage messed it up. The only other thing i can think of is your cars had a shunt and bits aint lined up correctly.

Last edited by P1Drifter; 10 February 2011 at 05:28 PM.
Old 10 February 2011, 05:32 PM
Scoobdogg
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by P1Drifter
iv fitted 2 of them, no problems with either install. there was either a problem with your kit (which i doubt) or your garage messed it up. The only other thing i can think of is your cars had a shunt and bits aint lined up correctly.

I take it you just followed the provided instructions an had no issues?
No need to cut any panels or anything did you just bend them as stated and all pipework lined up perfectly?
Old 10 February 2011, 07:45 PM
KAS35RSTI
Scooby Regular

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

The question is has your garage got exerience with fitting FMIC kits on Impreza's?

I have come across garages that have quoted me £500 just to change a downpipe as the job was "Very big" according to them.
Old 10 February 2011, 10:06 PM
stuart148
Scooby Regular

smaller battery , smaller washer bottle , and take air con pump / pipe work out
dont need it in england any how

this is what i did on my last type r , iv jst put one on my p1 but a japspeed one and it fits no probs , but i still removed the air con to save weight
iv got a single pump washer bottle for sale if intrested

stu

Trending Topics

Old 10 February 2011, 10:17 PM
LegacySTi
Scooby Regular

X10 hrs to fit be average time.

Have fitted goos few hdi kits and never issue as such. But does be tight fit on pipe your sayin regards battery and bonnet closing hitting inner gaurd of small vent
Old 11 February 2011, 02:58 PM
Scoobdogg
Scooby Regular

Aye thanks for clearing things up we just basically expected it to be a lot better fitting than it is, the fact its such a tight fit isn't good with the soft pipework rubbing against parts when theres engine vibration this will surely cause a bit of wear an possibly eventually a hole?
Will persivere an get it fitting eventually, the smaller washer bottle an battery seems like it will definately create some space an ability to play with moving things.
Old 11 February 2011, 03:04 PM
joey_turbo
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I would have thought you already had the smaller washer bottle, being a Type R, with no headlamp washers.
Old 14 February 2011, 07:49 AM
harvey
Former Sponsor

If you have any issues with the fit of a Hybrid GT2 all you need to do is get in touch, per profile and you will receive good assistance, as required. By phone if necessary. If it is not you that needs the help directly we can speak with your fitter/garage.

These intercooler kits fit well, we can give sound advice to anyone experiencing a problem, we fit them all the time and most perceived fitting issues are a lack of experience, realisation or reading the instructions.

I assume you bought the kit from me???

Regardless we can assist you and I am confident perceived issues only require a bit of advice to overcome.
Old 14 February 2011, 11:07 AM
harvey
Former Sponsor

Scoobdogg YHPM.
Old 14 February 2011, 11:41 PM
harvey
Former Sponsor

OK. Spoke at length with Scoobdogg who explained the perceived "problems" as he understood them.
Very much sounds like the person doing the fitting has not done this before and may need some helpful pointers.
Phoned company. Person tied up so left phone number and await call back.
We have no problem giving assistance, by phone if necessary and usually all that is needed is a little bit of guidance or even the confirmation and reassurance that what they are doing for a first time is correct.
Old 16 February 2011, 03:04 PM
harvey
Former Sponsor

We have not heard from the fitting garage, although we did phone them and leave our contact numbers, I assume your issues were resolved.
Just for the record our fixed price charge for fitting one of these is £185.
Old 16 February 2011, 08:35 PM
Scoobdogg
Scooby Regular

Harvey apologies I haven't been in touch I am very busy an due to go away again thanks for the help offered and advice they managed to get it fitted in the end although in hindsight I would have been cheaper taking the journey to see you an have you fit it but hindsights a great thing.
I will be down at some point when I manage to get everything else peachy to have you sort it a bit though as I'm not entirely happy with the way it has been done but at least it is fitted for now an hopefully all will run fine come mapping time.
Again appreciate the help top man! Will be in touch when I return from this next job.

Ally
Old 17 February 2011, 12:22 PM
harvey
Former Sponsor

You will be made welcome here anytime Ally.