Notices

screamer external wastegate

Search this Thread

Old 03 February 2011, 01:34 AM
esxboy1
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default screamer external wastegate

hi im in the process of building up a scooby for a weekend toy ,i have seen a few skylines and rx7s in my area with these screamer pipes/external wastegates and personally i like the sound of them. the car has a filter, decat exhaust and has a scooby chip running 1.1 bar and is a uk 2000 my96.

i hear conflicting information on here reading up about this subject.some talk about modding the exaust some say buy an up pipe mod it to fit ewg and weld/block iwg and some say it cant be done with out spending doller on a new turbo.

im thinking external waste gate,i dont plan on remaps or any more substantial mods. so can i just block the internal jobby up ,fab a y on the upipe bolt on external jobby plumb an jobs a gooden?

i no alot of people dont like this noise/sound/effect of these screamer pipes but each to their own so please dont lecture me to much on noise polution lol

any help would be good
Old 03 February 2011, 01:37 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We wont lecture you but the police will
Stick with a decent full decat exhaust, these cars make a better sound without some crappy screamer pipe fitted

Tony
Old 03 February 2011, 01:52 AM
esxboy1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TonyBurns
We wont lecture you but the police will
Stick with a decent full decat exhaust, these cars make a better sound without some crappy screamer pipe fitted

Tony
ive got a full decat on my sti and you are right it does sound nice but i fancy something different on the my other scoob a friend of a friend has a external wastegate setup up on his rex although loud does sound totally different from anything ive heard before ,so if the price is right and its just a case of fabbing some pipework and plumbing an external wg in then i fancy giving it a shout as i said each to their own ,but cheers for your imput
Old 03 February 2011, 10:16 AM
Broxi
Scooby Regular

A friend of mine has the screamer pipe on his Scooby, but that was using a GT30 rotated setup. (Sounds ****)

anywan although i do not reccomend it, you can do as you wish.

swap the up pipe, or do as my friend done, and have your existing up pipe Modified to take the wastegate, as we used a Tial one on his, we had the pipework modified, so as to put the wastegate one show in the engine bay.

then just weld the penny valve on the turbo closed, i would remove the exhaust housing from the turbo first, so their are no misshaps.
Old 03 February 2011, 10:41 AM
firebug
Scooby Regular

i bought a screamer pipe and external wastegate for my standard 98 ukt a few years ago but neither would fit. rang aet turbos and they told me id need a new turbo, manifold and allsorts of other bits to make it fit, so sent them back.
Old 03 February 2011, 11:25 AM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

are a screamer pipe and an external wastegate not two different things? i thought the latter was only used on rotated setups, usually big power builds.
Old 03 February 2011, 11:31 AM
firebug
Scooby Regular

the screamer pipe bolts onto the external wastegate.
Old 03 February 2011, 11:55 AM
esxboy1
Scooby Regular

It's my understanding the screamer pipe is a way out for the wastegate gases to escape in standard form the gases are expelled via the the exausts . There are two ports exhaust and waste gate and the cheap way is to separate the two ports and route the wastegate gases to vent to air so when you plant it , it boosts , the wastegate opens causing the screamer effect.

Then the external wastegate works on a similar principle but has a purpose , mor stable boost, eliminates boost spike alot bigger stronger than internal wastegate and the option is there to vent to exhaust or air with the same effect.

External is alot safer easier to achieve the "screamer" plus the benefits from external wastegate , I've seen people that have fabbed the downpipe but this is considered the pikey way of doing it.

I've gained this info from research so if anyone thinks I'm wrong please enlighten me more !
Old 03 February 2011, 11:58 AM
esxboy1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by firebug
the screamer pipe bolts onto the external wastegate.
I think the screamer pipe would of worked but you just needed pipe work fabricated , no external wastegate is bolt on on any car I think