Notices

VIN code confusion

Search this Thread

Old 18 January 2011, 10:57 PM
Smugglehump
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VIN code confusion

I'm looking for some advice on my VIN code.

I recently bought a 53 plate Impreza (black, blobeye). It was advertised as a WRX with STI bodykit, up for sale at a medium sized independent dealer. I ran a car check and also confirmed the model through my insurance company via the registration.

I noticed that the intercooler had STI printed on it and the interior had a couple of STI touches but I assumed it was part of the look that the previous owner had gone for. A friend who knows a bit more than I do about these things did some digging about the VIN code and found this...

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Subaru_...es#Engine_type

and this...

http://www.cars101.com/subaru/vin.html

I dont think the plate in my engine bay quite matches this format, the characters in positions 6 & 7 are letters on mine, specifically A & K. From what I can make out that says my engine spec is STI.

I'd be surprised if the DVLA and the garage had missed such a thing but I've got to ask. I'd be very grateful if anyone can help. If any more info is required I'll do what I can.

How can I tell for definite? And don't be afraid to point out the obvious if I've confused myself and been really stupid.

Thanks in advance, Tony.
Old 19 January 2011, 07:53 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The easiest way is to check the vin plate on the passenger strut, the gearbox code is the ultimate givaway, if it begins with TY754 then its a 5 speed WRX box, if you have a look in the tech archives then you will find the transmission info, 6 speed boxes have a totally different code.

Tony