FMIC OR STI TMIC ?

Search this Thread

Old 17 January 2011, 09:26 PM
scoobywrxwagon
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FMIC OR STI TMIC ?

Hi Lads and Ladys

I had my car (2002 Bug wagon WRX) in for service at Richard Henrys, Ive already put cat back system on and K&N panel filter. Ive recently bought a prodrive sports cat and second decat pipe but Ive not fitted these as yet as Im collecting all parts then having it all fitted and mapped at the same time at Richard Henrys by Andrew Carr. Still on the list to buy is 3 port boost valve and a 255 walbro fuel pump.
Now when I was there I was having a chat with the lads down there and they said Id be better to change the intercooler 1st either STI TMIC or FMIC, If I was to fit top mount do you defo need to fit scoop and under tray, would I benifit at all if just the intercooler was fitted ? or is there any bigger advantage to fitting front mount ?
If i was to fit tmic I would need to also purchase the scoop and under tray plus I`d need to have it sprayed which would prob cost more than buying and fitting front mount and induction kit.

So just to round up do I need to actually fit either of these as im only going for about 270 - 280 bhp ?

Sorry about the long read but needed to ask a few questions before I start spending the hard earnt.

Cheers

Rich

p.s - I do have a budget, Im no scrudge but I`m not a lottery winner either. I`ll pay for what I need but dont want to go over the top.
Old 17 January 2011, 09:36 PM
P600wrx
Scooby Regular

well it is up to you bud really if it was i would go for the STi8 TMIC, but if your going to get her mapped then go for the front mount as it will get the charge temps down better and also make for bigger bhp should you go down that route later on in life
Old 17 January 2011, 09:38 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Rich really depend for which goal(BHP) you are looking,if you are want just 270-280bhp i will leave the WRX Intercooler at place where is it(on car).
From FMIC you will see generally lower temps,lag you cannot notice(on td04 or vf30-35)if its car mapped properly.
STi TMIC are good for 400bhp(some have 450bhp on TMIC),and for full benefit you will need IC splitter and scoop,i'm afraid.
And for FMIC,depends if you are good with spanner and you can fit FMIC with your DIY tools.
For prices and recommendation,you can ask here Harvey for HDi(Hybrid) or Ed@Japspeed FMIC kit,this will depend on how much you are willing pay for FMIC....

Jura
Old 17 January 2011, 09:50 PM
scoobywrxwagon
Scooby Regular

I thought the same Jura11 regarding leaving the standard wrx one on for the moment, If I ever decide to change the turbo and go to stage 2 then I could see the benefit of changing the intercooler but for just 270-280 bhp I though the standard tmic would be fine.
I`m in 2 minds now, I might just change to STI tmic intercooler and at a later date change the vent and scoop im sure it would be better than leaving the standard one on.
Old 17 January 2011, 09:55 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

The larger STI item needs it's matching under-tray, the scoop is slightly less critical, IMHO.
It's also an easy bolt-on mod. Capable of supporting up to 400 bhp.
A FMIC will cost more, take more work to fit and isn't really necessary till you fit a seriously large turbo. IMHO.

HTH

dunx

P.S. Add a VF 35 and you'll end up with around 330 bhp...

Last edited by dunx; 17 January 2011 at 09:58 PM.
Old 17 January 2011, 10:00 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobywrxwagon
I thought the same Jura11 regarding leaving the standard wrx one on for the moment, If I ever decide to change the turbo and go to stage 2 then I could see the benefit of changing the intercooler but for just 270-280 bhp I though the standard tmic would be fine.
I`m in 2 minds now, I might just change to STI tmic intercooler and at a later date change the vent and scoop im sure it would be better than leaving the standard one on.
Hi Rich your WRX IC is good up to 320bhp,just get decent panel filter(K&N or Green cotton),3 port boost solenoid you have all ready brought,Decated up pipe

Stage 2 will be more expensive:550cc injectors,VF30,VF34,VF35 or TD05-16G plus FMIC(just go for K&N cone filter again,no CAIK) and tweak map.And you will see 330-350bhp

Jura
Old 17 January 2011, 10:26 PM
scoobywrxwagon
Scooby Regular

Jura11 I nearly forgot the decat up pipe, I need to get a Bug sti decat one. Seen a few on ebay.
Old 17 January 2011, 10:45 PM
GezP
Scooby Regular

I'd go TMIC if you're gonna change mate. I got 275 with standard wrx TIMC. I changed to TMIC as I'm going for 350.

TMIC will cost about 150-250 plus scoop undertray etc. undertray shouldn't be that hard for a buy-eye, its impossible for hawkeye but the zero-sports undertray is meant to be top notch.

I've heard horror stories about cheapish FMIC - there's a reason why some of them are £1k plus. FMIC will cost you a lot more if you buy a decent bit of kit. Personally I think FMIC only really pay when you're aiming for high BHP like 400+ IMHO
Old 17 January 2011, 11:00 PM
scoobywrxwagon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GezP
I'd go TMIC if you're gonna change mate. I got 275 with standard wrx TIMC. I changed to TMIC as I'm going for 350.

TMIC will cost about 150-250 plus scoop undertray etc. undertray shouldn't be that hard for a buy-eye, its impossible for hawkeye but the zero-sports undertray is meant to be top notch.

I've heard horror stories about cheapish FMIC - there's a reason why some of them are £1k plus. FMIC will cost you a lot more if you buy a decent bit of kit. Personally I think FMIC only really pay when you're aiming for high BHP like 400+ IMHO
Totally agree with ya, Just the lads at the garage were saying more benefits from fmic, which is right if im pushing big power and big turbo butr im not as yet. I think ill just fit sti tmic and look for scoop and tray after remap.
Old 17 January 2011, 11:06 PM
GezP
Scooby Regular

Who ever is remapping your car mate is the expert. The funds from a FMIC might be better spent else where mate.

Just out of interest, what power are you aiming for?

I've been told 350ish is the limit for Newage WRX - gearbox and internals can't handle much more
Old 17 January 2011, 11:28 PM
scoobywrxwagon
Scooby Regular

Im only wanting 270-280 so nothing crazy at this stage, stage 2 nxt yr I may think about fmic but as said on this thread sti tmic can deal with 350 to 400 anyway.
Old 18 January 2011, 06:51 AM
dynamix
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

std wrx tmic will be fine for that power
Old 18 January 2011, 08:19 AM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

for that power def stay with what you have, if you go for a bigger turbo then thats the time to change
Old 18 January 2011, 09:21 AM
GezP
Scooby Regular

When ur aiming for those bigger figures and need the tmic - try parformance jap parts. I paid a little more there but they sent my photos and I chose the best one. It also came with a guarantee. I found them pretty cool to deal with
Old 18 January 2011, 07:29 PM
harvey
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by scoobywrxwagon
Hi Lads and Ladys

I had my car (2002 Bug wagon WRX) in for service at Richard Henrys, Ive already put cat back system on and K&N panel filter. Ive recently bought a prodrive sports cat and second decat pipe but Ive not fitted these as yet as Im collecting all parts then having it all fitted and mapped at the same time at Richard Henrys by Andrew Carr. Still on the list to buy is 3 port boost valve and a 255 walbro fuel pump.
Now when I was there I was having a chat with the lads down there and they said Id be better to change the intercooler 1st either STI TMIC or FMIC, If I was to fit top mount do you defo need to fit scoop and under tray, would I benifit at all if just the intercooler was fitted ? or is there any bigger advantage to fitting front mount ?
If i was to fit tmic I would need to also purchase the scoop and under tray plus I`d need to have it sprayed which would prob cost more than buying and fitting front mount and induction kit.

So just to round up do I need to actually fit either of these as im only going for about 270 - 280 bhp ?

Sorry about the long read but needed to ask a few questions before I start spending the hard earnt.

Cheers

Rich

p.s - I do have a budget, Im no scrudge but I`m not a lottery winner either. I`ll pay for what I need but dont want to go over the top.
If you are planning to run 270-280 bhp the TMIC already fitted by Subaru is quite adequate for this purpose. You can go a good bit further and still not need a front mount and it is not worth the effort at your level to even think about changing to an STi TMIC.
Old 18 January 2011, 07:32 PM
DisoDisp
Scooby Regular

Agreed, my WRX stock TMIC was fine at 307bhp