Notices

When buying a headgasket set

Search this Thread

Old 11 January 2011, 11:22 AM
rumsey
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default When buying a headgasket set

After looking around for the last few days i have noticed that the parts seem to vary in cost everywhere.

what i wanted to know is there going to be a huge difference between a cheap set from ebay

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...:X:RTQ:GB:1123

to spending £285 at importcarparts

or even spending near £500 at subaru themselves.

is it going to be a huge difference in quality will the cheap one go again sooner rather than later or is there not much difference and i should be biting the guys on ebays hand off and grab it cheap while i can?

cheers
Old 11 January 2011, 11:28 AM
WildPikey
Scooby Regular

To be honest normally I would of said steer clear of the cheaper sets on ebay as I'm sure somebody else will but a friend recently used a cheap ebay set with good results, I wouldn't expect them to hold up though if your running much more than standard power, Maybe they will, Maybe they won't, It's a chance you take with cheaper parts, Especially unknown brands
Old 11 January 2011, 11:31 AM
rumsey
Scooby Regular

my sti blobeye is standard and i only need the car for another 2 years. i dont do track days and do limited mileage a year about 6000. so dont want to be spending £1000 in the near future for the gaskets again.
Old 11 January 2011, 11:42 AM
Cannon Fodder
Scooby Regular

If you are going to do / get the job done then buy the best quality gaskets that you can.

You can buy a set of Cometic gaskets for around £130.00 but then you have to add all the other seals/joints and gaskets required on top.

Give Advanced Automotive in Bristol a ring as they can do you a good deal on a set of Cometic gaskets plus ancillary parts for about the same as Import Car Parts.

Cometic gaskets are held up to be the one of if not the best gaskets available, by the way are you changing the head bolts as well?
Old 11 January 2011, 11:42 AM
WildPikey
Scooby Regular

I'm sure the sti gaskets are thicker than those on that ebay listing? I would definately check that before you buy them! If you use thinner gaskets you will raise your compression slightly which could cause all sorts of problems, Might be wrong but better safe than sorry
Old 11 January 2011, 11:48 AM
jeffwrx
Scooby Regular

go for the gaskets from importcarparts , you can then get the correct thickness and they're genuine Subaru.
Old 11 January 2011, 11:56 AM
rumsey
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Cannon Fodder
If you are going to do / get the job done then buy the best quality gaskets that you can.

You can buy a set of Cometic gaskets for around £130.00 but then you have to add all the other seals/joints and gaskets required on top.

Give Advanced Automotive in Bristol a ring as they can do you a good deal on a set of Cometic gaskets plus ancillary parts for about the same as Import Car Parts.

Cometic gaskets are held up to be the one of if not the best gaskets available, by the way are you changing the head bolts as well?

my mate is a mechanic for suabru and he is doing the job for me, he said he doubts i will need the head bolts, he has made me buy cambelt kit, water pump, new rad, thermostat, oil,filter,antifreeze he may be getting me the headgasket set at trade from subaru now but thats still not going to be as cheap as importcarparts or camskill. i was thinking of buying the subaru gaskets on there own from suabru for £68 each then getting that set for £71 from ebay for all the other parts and throw the headgaskets away.
Old 11 January 2011, 01:08 PM
stephen beynon
Scooby Regular

by genuine parts or you will be paying out twice that is my advice to you