Notices

Passive immobiliser chip in the key for the ECU

Search this Thread

Old 09 January 2011, 09:13 PM
Nutzz
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Passive immobiliser chip in the key for the ECU

I have an 03 wagon WRX, I have a huge key with Subaru on it and 1 push button to lock/arm and /unlock/de arm/ de mobilise the alarm system.

My question is does my key have a separate chip for passive immobilising (ie you need the key close to the barrel to automatically de-mobilise the ECU)?

I know a lot of new cars and bikes (my bike has it) has a separate manufacture passive immobiliser system that works off of a chip in the key (as soon as the key is inserted into the barrel the system automatically de-mobilise) and I was just wondering if mine did it too or if it was just the remote alarm that did it (I which case I will up the security)
Old 09 January 2011, 09:18 PM
P600wrx
Scooby Regular

uk car almost deffinatly have it fitted, known as a cat 2: on jdm cars i would not of thought so
Old 09 January 2011, 09:20 PM
Nutzz
Scooby Regular

I have a funny feeling even though this is a UK it has not, reason being I separated the 2 half's of the key and tried 1 half and it started so I am a little confused...............
Old 09 January 2011, 09:24 PM
P600wrx
Scooby Regular

well if your worried you have no security then i would get an alarm fitted at soonest moment, while u have the in bits look for a small blk piece of what looks like a magnet this is the transponder chip if not the remove cowling it may have been fitted there if car has had a remote engine start system fitted in the past, if this is the case DO NOT remove it as the slightest damge will rsult in the car not starting

mark
Old 09 January 2011, 09:28 PM
Nutzz
Scooby Regular

It has a Subaru Cat 1 one on it, it is just I thought it would of had a passive immobiliser (magnet looking chip) as well, I have both keys and both are chunky Subaru keys which incorporates the alarm remote control but I can't find evidence of the chip.

When the key is in 2 on side has the remote and the other has the key but I can't see the magnet chip on it.
Old 09 January 2011, 09:33 PM
P600wrx
Scooby Regular

if it has a cat 1 it should auto arm the immobiliser this is a thatcham requirment, disarm the car open the door and then close it, leave for at least 1 min the led should be flashing, and to start the car you should need to turn ignition on and press a button to disarm the immob, this i feel will not happen as i have not seen this on any impreza from fatory apart from the sigma's that are fitted but this is a long remote with 1 button on it and subaru emblem........
Old 09 January 2011, 09:41 PM
Nutzz
Scooby Regular

Yes it passive/auto arms the immobiliser if the ignition is off for more than 60 seconds (need to press to button with ignition on to de-mobilise), it also re-locks the car if you unlock it and don't open doors/boot/bonnet in 60 seconds.

It also has the remote you describe with the subaru emblem and the books I have with the car says it is a Subaru alarm.

I would of preferred a key coded ECU and transponder key but from the initial looks of things I don't think it has one unless someone can tell me different.
Old 09 January 2011, 09:47 PM
Nutzz
Scooby Regular

I found a pick of a key similar to mine, I take it to the lower right of the battery is were the transponder should be?

Old 09 January 2011, 09:50 PM
P600wrx
Scooby Regular

strange u don't have the chip, but no need to worry yaself mate, the alarm is a universal fitment for uk impreza's, not the worlds best i must admit as they are fitted to everycar in exactly the same way and in the same place, personally i would have it removed and a decent aftermarket fitted or you could just have clifford blakjax unit fitted this is a passive arming unit that needs a security pin to disarm it (no remotes) it is also anti-highjack so should you be forceably removed from car or have keys stolen they won't get very far due to the unit switching the ignition off at a slow safe speed,

http://www.clifford.co.uk/Products/Accessories.aspx

scroll down 3rd item on page
Old 09 January 2011, 09:54 PM
Nutzz
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the info, I will look into more security
Old 09 January 2011, 10:22 PM
my94wrx
Scooby Regular

if your your car is a uk it will definitely have the chip in the key, it is fitted on the blade side of the key when you split the key in half, under a cover to stop it being removed to easy, i cant remember weather the cover is metal or plastic (its been a while) the chip will be rectangular-ish shape.

Last edited by my94wrx; 09 January 2011 at 10:25 PM.
Old 09 January 2011, 10:24 PM
Nutzz
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by my94wrx
if your your car is a uk it will definitely have the chip in the key, it is fitted on the blade side of the key when you split the key in half.
That is what I thought but it ain't there and it is 100% UK model...........................
Old 09 January 2011, 11:42 PM
my94wrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Nutzz
That is what I thought but it ain't there and it is 100% UK model...........................

can you post a clear picture up of the inside of the key?
Old 10 January 2011, 05:59 PM
Nutzz
Scooby Regular

FOUND IT....................I feel like such a spanner swearing it was not there.

Thanks putting up with my stupidity, at least I know it has that security as well.