Notices

Bugeye CEL On (& Engine Smell)

Search this Thread

Old 06 January 2011, 09:43 PM
pmarch bugeye
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bugeye CEL On (& Engine Smell)

Bugeye Standard WRX 2001 with around 116,000 miles. I have been getting a smell (a bit like head gasket smell) sometimes wafting into the car cabin. As I said, it's not all the time, usually when stopped after sustained cruising or steady speed driving. I don't think it's the main engine head gasket as surely it would smell all the time and the oil is clean and there's no visible or evident oily film in the radiator coolant. I've also had CEL light on constant, after several occasions of flashing whilst accelarating harder through 3rd/4th gears. CEL Light went off again on own accord but then started flashing again until then once again has stopped on all the time, plus whilst CEL on permanently also sometimes flashes when accelarating with more intent. Whenever I have asked garage to diagnose CEL in past, it had come back with P0303 Cylinder 3 misfire, and I once had Neutral Position Switch changed. I have become blase about CEL light as car seems to drive reasonably enough and is reliable, plus it always seems to have been the P0303 code which the bugeye is fabled for and dealer says is probably the ECU being sensitive. Something though is obviously not optimum somewhere. Is any of this connected to one or more possible causes? Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Old 14 January 2011, 07:49 PM
pmarch bugeye
Scooby Regular

Just thought I would refresh this one, in case anyone has some ideas. I have not been getting the smell lately for some odd reason. The CEL is still on but has not flashed lately maybe due to the enforced economy drive where I rarely get on boost. But when I do put the foot down, it seems to me the car feels a bit hesitant/jerky at lower revs and sluggish picking up. I know that the revs have to reach about 2500 RPM before the boost comes on, but I'm seriously fed up with the general poor low down torque or delay in the turbo coming on. I don't think this standard bugeye WRX has ever really impressed me ever since I got it in 2004 if I'm totally honest, although weirdly there have been odd moments when it all comes together and you get a genuine surge and ye-ha moment. High revs and speed are not my concern - more about a quick 20 to 60 MPH performance as linear as possible. It's getting to the point where I'm thinking of getting a Spec D (maybe with PPP), Blue Hawkeye STI or maybe upgrading the bugeye somehow - either way I would like a much better usable everyday lower down torque. If I keep the bugeye, any underlying issues have to be sorted before I start anything....
Old 15 January 2011, 01:19 AM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi matey P0303 Cylinder 3 Misfire Detected,probably you can check gaps on spark plugs etc.
You also check Lambda sensor which is on Subaru very sensitive or Camshaft position sensor(this may happen if you are overreving engine or missing gear,or just if you are hitting rev limiter)is very also sensitive.Probably worth buy VAG cable and download RomRaider for data logging and for CEL.

Jura
Old 27 January 2011, 09:35 PM
pmarch bugeye
Scooby Regular

Someone elsewhere had suggested the Neutral Position Switch, which I did have replaced a few years ago after a spate of P0303 codes. Someone else has also suggested a faulty NPS can impair performance, and set off somewhat 'bogus' misfire codes such as P0303. Bugeyes are known for P0303 codes anyway. My CEL has been on all the time now for weeks, and occasionally does the flashing thing before reverting back to on continuous. I'm guessing the CEL will eventually go back off, as it did before when I had driven very gently for a long enough time - but then you relax a bit, give it some beans and the light flashes and if you don't ease off immediately it stays on. It's always when changing up 3rd/4th or 4th/5th with a bit of welly say around the 4000-5000 RPM range, but never near the red line. Oddly, I never get the flashing CEL when accelerating to similar degree through11st/2nd or 2nd/3rd gears. So perhaps it's just the NPS has gone again, but why the occasional head gasket type pongs? Maybe the two issues are unrelated and I also need to have a compression test or something to diagnose what is not quite right. Car is as reliable as ever, (up now to 116,000 miles) just a constant niggle that it's not as good as it could be.
Old 27 January 2011, 09:42 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Camshaft position sensor?
This is know on Bugeye,which may cause CEL,but never stay so long....

Jura
Old 27 January 2011, 09:46 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

As mine hit 2 bar in top gear tonight my CEL came on...

Grumpy dunx
Old 27 January 2011, 09:50 PM
nick172sport
Scooby Regular

camshaft sensor prone on them unplug it clean terminals plug back in reset codes bobs your uncle mines bin off 12 months now after doin just that

Trending Topics

Old 27 January 2011, 09:56 PM
s70rjw
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by dunx
As mine hit 2 bar in top gear tonight my CEL came on...

Grumpy dunx
Show off.....
Old 28 January 2011, 10:32 AM
ricco60
Scooby Regular

This may not be the same issue but I have had the engine smell you describe with engine management light on. The smell was from the header tank leaking (water/coolant burning off on block) and the EM light was due to o2 sensor, two seperate problems entirely. Not sure on the low performance but I know my WRX below 20mph can be sluggish and if you change gear too early at low speed then you'll get caned by a 2CV! There are various ways to eliminate the slow turbo spooling but these can also have knock on affects. I shall leave any advice on this to others. Hope this has helped in some way.