Notices

Newage Inlet Manifold Spacers

Search this Thread

Old 05 January 2011, 11:08 PM
Cannon Fodder
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newage Inlet Manifold Spacers

Very shortly I will be having some further modifications carried out on my Spec C which involve removing/refitting the inlet manifold, so I thought I may as well fit manifold spacers at the same time.

I know what the benefits are ie reducing heat transfer from the engine into the inlet manifold but which ones should I go for?

The two that have caught my eye are the Carl Davey and Scoobyclinic offerings, the Carl Davey are from what I have read are the best on the market and until I started researching the matter I didn't even realise that Scoobyclinic even did them. Or are there other alternatives worth considering?

The benefit of the Scoobyclinic spacers are that the gaskets are incorporated into the spacer, but they both appear to be made of slightly differing materials.

Also Carl Davey also manufactures spacers for the header tank again reducing heat transfer into the inlet manifold, does anyone have these fitted and do they cause any clearance issues; come to think of it do either of the inlet manifold spacers cause any issues?

I'm also fitting a water/methanol injection system into the inlet manifoild which will help improve engine temps and combustion, so will the gains from the inlet/header tank spacers be neglible?
Old 05 January 2011, 11:14 PM
H4RDY-P1
Scooby Regular

Every little helps...
Go for the clinic ones,look at it this way the new inlet mani gaskets are what £20 a set and you will need 2 x sets,the new clinic ones are a very clever idea,recsessed and an intergrated rubber seal/gasket on each side.....very clever.
btw it just clears the bonnet.
Old 05 January 2011, 11:49 PM
Bigbob3000
Scooby Regular

If you have deep pockets, maby grimspeed...
http://www.grimmspeed.com/catalog/in...th=60_33_36_50
Old 06 January 2011, 10:42 AM
Cannon Fodder
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by H4RDY-P1
Every little helps...
Go for the clinic ones,look at it this way the new inlet mani gaskets are what £20 a set and you will need 2 x sets,the new clinic ones are a very clever idea,recsessed and an intergrated rubber seal/gasket on each side.....very clever.
btw it just clears the bonnet.
To be honest the price of the gaskets doesn't really bother me, having worked in the automotive trade for over 20 years I would always change the gaskets as a matter of course. I've seen too many customers try and get away with re-using old gaskets/sealing joints and then having to pay to have the job re-done due to trying to save a few £'s.

It is more a matter of which insulating spacer is better.

Originally Posted by Bigbob3000
If you have deep pockets, maby grimspeed...
http://www.grimmspeed.com/catalog/in...th=60_33_36_50
To be honest the Grimmspeed version works out cheaper even coming from the USA, they do a kit which also includes TGV gaskets as well, have a look at the link below.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/GRIMM...Q5fCarQ5fParts

Plus their spacer is 8mm thick which should allow a little bit more clearance.
Old 06 January 2011, 11:14 AM
B0DSKI
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tyrone, worth speaking to Zak @ Mocom. He has his specially manufactured to his design. I've got them on mine.
PM me your number if ya like and I'll get him to give ya a ring as he can be difficult to get hold of
Old 06 January 2011, 11:26 AM
mazmike
BANNED

HI JUST GOT MINE FROM JAP IMPORT PARTS ON EBAY
RCM X2 SPACERS 11MM £54
LONGER BOLTS £10
SUBARU GASKETS X 4 £20
IF THIS HELPS I WILL DIG OUT TELL NUMBER
Old 06 January 2011, 02:37 PM
Butty
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How can you tell they are different materials, other than Scoobyclinic spell Tufnol as Tufnell.

There are varying types and grades of composites made by Tufnol but both examples appear to be fabric phenolic laminates.
Old 06 January 2011, 03:50 PM
Turbotits
Scooby Regular

i have both carl davey manifold spacers and header tank spacers. There very well made and good quality. I have had slight clearance issues with one of the header pipes just touching the bonnet under hard acceleration and leading to it cracking. Ive since remounted the header tank still using the spacers but in a way there not designed for, to lower the tank.
Old 06 January 2011, 04:09 PM
Cannon Fodder
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by B0DSKI
Tyrone, worth speaking to Zak @ Mocom. He has his specially manufactured to his design. I've got them on mine.
PM me your number if ya like and I'll get him to give ya a ring as he can be difficult to get hold of
Thanks Boyd, I'lll drop you a PM.

Originally Posted by mazmike
HI JUST GOT MINE FROM JAP IMPORT PARTS ON EBAY
RCM X2 SPACERS 11MM £54
LONGER BOLTS £10
SUBARU GASKETS X 4 £20
IF THIS HELPS I WILL DIG OUT TELL NUMBER
I had seen that Import Car Parts were now selling RCM parts, thanks for the information.

Originally Posted by Butty
How can you tell they are different materials, other than Scoobyclinic spell Tufnol as Tufnell.

There are varying types and grades of composites made by Tufnol but both examples appear to be fabric phenolic laminates.
Very true, many differenet manufacturers 're-brand' products and give them their own unique names. I would imagine that nearly all the products share if not the same then very similar materials.
Old 06 January 2011, 04:16 PM
Cannon Fodder
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Turbotits
i have both carl davey manifold spacers and header tank spacers. There very well made and good quality. I have had slight clearance issues with one of the header pipes just touching the bonnet under hard acceleration and leading to it cracking. Ive since remounted the header tank still using the spacers but in a way there not designed for, to lower the tank.
The clearance problem is the only issue that I really have, and as the header tank sits slightly higher than the manifold that is what concerns me with the header tank spacers.

I think I will try and get hold of some 8mm or 10mm spacers, I know 1 or 2mm doesn't sound like much but it might be the difference between a component foul or not.
Old 06 January 2011, 04:22 PM
ScoobyDoo69
Scooby Senior

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I have got APi ones fitted to mine. Not sure how they differ from any of the others, but the inlet manifold used to be too hot to touch, now it's barely ever warm.
Old 06 January 2011, 04:58 PM
Turbotits
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Cannon Fodder
The clearance problem is the only issue that I really have, and as the header tank sits slightly higher than the manifold that is what concerns me with the header tank spacers.

I think I will try and get hold of some 8mm or 10mm spacers, I know 1 or 2mm doesn't sound like much but it might be the difference between a component foul or not.
if you remove the header and mount the spacers so the tanks sits under them rather than on top as there designed to do then theres plenty of clearance. means totally removing the header though which isnt hard. just means a top up with coolant etc
Old 04 February 2011, 03:43 PM
EH52WRX
Scooby Regular

I am just about to do this job, which ones did you go for, and is the clearance issue ok.
Old 04 February 2011, 04:07 PM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've just bought some tufnol material and will make my own. For less than £20 I got enough to make inlet manifold and header tank spacers
Old 04 February 2011, 04:09 PM
Cannon Fodder
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by EH52WRX
I am just about to do this job, which ones did you go for, and is the clearance issue ok.
It's funny you should mention it as I ordered the Carl Davey spacers in the end due to their/his reputation, he informed me that he wouldn't be able to post until yesterday which was fine.

However I got an email yesterday telling me that he had no stock and it would be 7 days before he has more stock. So I'm waiting for a confirmed delivery date or I will have to start looking elsewhere.
Old 04 February 2011, 04:38 PM
EH52WRX
Scooby Regular

It's funny you should mention it as I ordered the Carl Davey spacers in the end due to their/his reputation, he informed me that he wouldn't be able to post until yesterday which was fine.

However I got an email yesterday telling me that he had no stock and it would be 7 days before he has more stock. So I'm waiting for a confirmed delivery date or I will have to start looking elsewhere.
I thought the eBay set looked good with the tgv gaskets etc

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/GRIMM...#ht_1889wt_941