Notices

Power steering problems?

Search this Thread

Old 03 January 2011, 10:03 PM
buzball
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power steering problems?

Hello newbie here with his first post maybe you can help?

Got a 02 scooby sti and the power steering has gone all funny on me, from cold it dont work properly on stand still the belt spins but the pulley dont turn properly and squiels.

If you rev it or move its pefect

Once warm its fine

Lastly the belt is in bad condition so im hoping its the belt could it be? im changing it tommorow!!

Thanks
Old 03 January 2011, 10:29 PM
f8rdy
Scooby Regular

Most likely, if its screeching then its because the belt is too slack, if its wrecked then it wont tighten up well anyway. I had the same thing when i first got mine too. You can be pretty sure that the belt will resolve it.
Old 03 January 2011, 10:35 PM
buzball
Scooby Regular

Thanks mate il give it a go tommorow
Old 04 January 2011, 04:46 PM
obey1
Scooby Regular

Default powersteering

had a problem with mine on a my95 classic changed the pump but not the belt and still squealed, so went and bought a belt and it worked
this may give you some ideas
just something i found regarding powersteering pump

When the engine is running and you try to turn the steering, you found it turns but not as easy as it should. As you turn, you hear squeling sound but when you release the steering, the squeling stops.

The cause would most probably be the power steering belt is slipping. On most cars, power steering gets its power from the engine crankshaft. The crankshaft then drives a fan belt which will turn the power steering pump pulley. Hydraulic pressure from the pump will be produced and is used to power the steering gear or the steering rack and pinion.

On some cars it may also power the brakes. The fan belt must be at the right size, in good condition and properly adjusted to in order for the pump to work properly.

The squeling sound can be corrected by adjusting the power steering belt to the proper tension provided the power steering belt is still in good condition. Ask the mechanic to do this because adjusting the belt is quite complicated.

You should replace the belt if you found that the belt is worn or cracked or the inner surfaces are already shiny.

After adjustment have been made to the power steering belt but the squeling sound still persist, the belt might be already too long and can’t be adjusted anymore. Ask the mechanic to replace and install with a new belt of the proper length.

Another cause that might contribute to “too long belt” is that if the power steering mounting bracket or one of the bolts are missing and this will prevent the belt from being fully tightened. Ask the mechanic to repair this.

Please be reminded that if you’re planning to adjust the power steering or any other belt, always disconnect one of the battery cables. This is to prevent the engine from starting accidentally and injured your hand. Another reason is should you accidentally touch a wire, by disconnecting the battery cable you prevent any serious damage caused by a short circuit.
Old 04 January 2011, 07:23 PM
buzball
Scooby Regular

Thanks all sorted now, fitted 2 new belts
Old 04 January 2011, 07:34 PM
f8rdy
Scooby Regular

Good to hear, not too much of a pain in the **** to do either.
Old 04 January 2011, 07:54 PM
buzball
Scooby Regular

Yeh nice and easy mate

Trending Topics

Old 03 February 2011, 07:11 PM
tommhm
Scooby Newbie

Default powersteering problem?

Hi all, not sure if im in the right place for this? lol. i own a 2.5 hawkeye sti ppp, an recently its started makin funny noises. i belive it to be the powersteering pump, the belts been tighten up not long ago. the noise is high pitched an increase with the revs. an sometimes the steering is very lumpy when started from cold. then it goes fine once you turn it from lock to lock. it comes an goes, but it seems to be staying for longer periods now. it first started when we had those really low temps at christmas !freezing!!! is it knackered? that is my question? thanks people.
Old 03 February 2011, 07:38 PM
f8rdy
Scooby Regular

Hi, it sounds like the same as the other guy had. Even thought you've recently tightened the belt it could be that you need a new belt instead as they tend to stretch over time. I would get a new one (under £20) and try that. The idea is that the engine turns the belt and that turns the steering pump but because the belt isnt tight enough if slips and squeels, all the time its squeeling, its not turning as fast as it could be but then eventually catches up. Got to be worth changing it to be sure.
Old 03 February 2011, 08:29 PM
tommhm
Scooby Newbie

Default ok mister

well yh im gona give that ago bud! its just it doesn't sound like a normal belt squeal, it sounds more like a mechanical noise if ya know wot i mean? it sounds like a higher pitched rev kinda noise, but i will try a belt for defo, im havin a full engine rebuild in the next few months, so if it is knackered, its just another bill on top ayit! lol. does anyone know if a bugeye or blobeye powersteering pump will fit my hawkeye? thanks m8.