Simtek vs ecutek?

Search this Thread

Old 28 December 2010, 03:13 PM
Gary WRX
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Simtek vs ecutek?

Hi all

Looking at upgrading my 03 WRX from 220-260ish bhp and wanted to know the differences between the above options. I know with ecutek you buy the license so can be cheaper if you do further tweaks but is that the only difference? Is one better than the other or is it down to the person that does the map?

Any advice would be great. I am looking at a japseed exhaust to go with it but not full decat so its ok for the MOT

Thanks
Gary
Old 28 December 2010, 03:27 PM
Frankola
Scooby Regular

Speak to Duncan at Racedynamix he sorted mine out and it's so much better to drive
Old 28 December 2010, 03:48 PM
Stevesbluewrx
Scooby Regular

Hey Gary,

EcuTeck is good. But depending on your requirements and what modifications you have made or wish to make maybe worth trying as per Frank has said open source mapping.

EcuTek is £599 + VAT so would basically flash your ECU. Any further modificatiosn will require a remap to suit the changes and will requires from most mappers another £150 or there abouts.

SimTek is the next level in my eyes for ECU software. Being able to run functions on the fly such as 2 maps (I under you can have up to 4 maps now) ,anti lag, laucn control etc. I find SimTek so much nicer to drive on over the EcuTek mostly in 3rd/4th & 5th gear changes when on boost as you don't get the delay and makes the car smoother to driver with the added benefit of not having to run a MAF.
SimTek again has a few draw backs with idle issues from cold etc (not just my opinion) but nothing your mapper cannot sort out.

Your next level would be Syvecs with up to 9 map settings,launch control,anti lag and more including which I find impotant data logging.

So with the above taken into account buddy and your on a budget but want "bang for buck" try open source first mate.

I personally use Jollygreenmonster for all my mapping. This is my personal choice but for open source mapping Duncan of Racedynamix is a very nice guy and good mapper too.
Also another mapper worth taking note of is Rich or FB Tuning.

As for exhaust. Again depends on your budget and your requirements. If you aiming for that power level stick to a 2.5" exhaust system and see about getting your hands on a Prodrive sports cat. But and I say but you should get away with a decat downpipe as you still have a cat in the up-pipe.

I am running a Roger Clark Motosport 3" system with sports cat and still pass Co2 tests come MOT time but for an advisory note of "Loud Exhaust".

Hope that helps.

Steve
Old 29 December 2010, 12:45 AM
Gary WRX
Scooby Regular

Great thanks guys and thanks steve for the comprehensive advice i've spoken to Duncan from racedynamix who will be doing the map I just need to find an exhaust system now
Old 29 December 2010, 01:06 AM
leecalcars
Scooby Regular

simtec ,
Old 29 December 2010, 09:22 AM
muzzler
Scooby Regular

Just done mine 2.5 WRX Hawk through JGM with 2nd cat removed, res removed and new back box all H&S 2.5"...JGM got it to 286bhp and 340nm torque....drives excellent now, highly recommend
Old 29 December 2010, 09:35 AM
Gary WRX
Scooby Regular

Thanks guys - just having a look at exhausts from Miltek which seem to have a good reputation althouh expensive to get the sports cat, downpipie and back cat (I assume I will need all of this before the remap?)

Trending Topics

Old 29 December 2010, 09:46 AM
Gambit
Scooby Regular

Received 231 Likes on 172 Posts

MAF-less is the biggest perk of simtek over ecutek
Old 29 December 2010, 09:54 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ECUTEK, in gear boost control, uses the standard ecu (which is as good if not better to x power before you need to change to an aftermarket ecu), better idle, better running etc.
Drawbacks are the maf sensor, well its only really a drawback at the higher bhp figures, for what your after, ecutek or open source is more than capable.

Simtek, multiple maps and some nice additions like als or lc (both of these have big downsides on a road car though), biggest issue is lack of knock correction (not a good thing as the standard ecu corrects far better so stops your engine blowing up, is in the pipeline though) and cold idle issue.

Tony
Old 29 December 2010, 10:26 AM
MDS_WRX
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Gary WRX
Thanks guys - just having a look at exhausts from Miltek which seem to have a good reputation althouh expensive to get the sports cat, downpipie and back cat (I assume I will need all of this before the remap?)
Yes, but get it put on just before the map and drive off boost to get there.

Milltek is one of the more expensive options you can go for. If you want a cheaper but still high quality alternative, have a look at cobra sports and revolutions own systems.
Old 29 December 2010, 10:36 AM
Gary WRX
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MDS_WRX
Yes, but get it put on just before the map and drive off boost to get there.

Milltek is one of the more expensive options you can go for. If you want a cheaper but still high quality alternative, have a look at cobra sports and revolutions own systems.
Cheers fella that was actually going to be my next question. I have looked at Japspeed and Miltek which seem to be the 2 extremes however I want to find something middle of the road to reduce cost a little.

Thanks for the tip I will check out the links above
Old 29 December 2010, 01:49 PM
Gary WRX
Scooby Regular

ok so after a busy morning at work ;-) I have been lookng at the following Cobra Sport exhaust system

1 - SB02 Subaru Impreza Turbo WRX / STI (2001-2007) - Cat-Back System (Resonated) £280
2 - SB26 Subaru Impreza Turbo WRX / STI (2001-2007) - Front Pipe & Sports Cat £225

http://www.cobrasport.com/exhaust/Su...2007%29/31/0/0

Does anyone have a view on how this would perform as a system? is it any good and would it work well in line with a simtek remap?

What else will I have to purchase and have installed before I can have the map done I am assuming a panel filter?

As always thanks for any advice!
Old 29 December 2010, 04:35 PM
trevsjwood
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

For a newage wrx, Ecutek is by far the best and sufficient option.
To purchase an aftermarket ecu for this power level is unnecessary and the cash could be used for more benifical modificatons
Trev