Notices

Header/ manifold advice needed

Search this Thread

Old 21 December 2010, 05:32 PM
L.J.F
Instructing with fear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Header/ manifold advice needed

I have a 2002 sti and am currently looking to pick up some modified headers prior to a map. I have come across a set that is on a classic and also a set that is from a 2.5 sti and would like to know if these would be suitable? or could i get away with any manifold from either classic or newage?

Cheers

Lee
Old 21 December 2010, 08:08 PM
L.J.F
Instructing with fear

anyone?
Old 21 December 2010, 09:06 PM
eggy790
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i believe classic ones fit the bug/blob. not sure about hawkeye. i had classic ones on my bug, hope that helps
Old 21 December 2010, 09:07 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

*cough* Harvey *cough*

If I wanted a set of headers for a particular car that did what it said on the tin Harvey would be my first port of call

Shaun
Old 21 December 2010, 09:08 PM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

Unless you want to rescale the front O2 sensor make sure it has the boss in the headers, I had mine ported and I believe only the bug and maybe the late classic headers had the boss in the right place?
Old 21 December 2010, 09:09 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Yeah, as above mate.

Harvey will match your headers and uppipe to whatever turbo you are using.

Just putting some on may have an adverse effect.........
Old 21 December 2010, 09:09 PM
prodriverules
Scooby Regular

Harvey FTW

Trending Topics

Old 21 December 2010, 10:57 PM
L.J.F
Instructing with fear

The headers i am looking at off the classic are a set of Harveys ported and wrapped. Am i right in thinking that the mapper can rescale the sensor during the session? the other headers i am looking at are HKS equal length but they are on a 2.5 and i am not sure if they will even fit??
Old 21 December 2010, 11:02 PM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

Yes , your mapper can rescale the O2 sensor, just make sure you have a bung in the downpipe for it. If they are ported and wrapped by Harvey, unless you want 400bhp+ they'll will be spot on.

Last edited by JonMc; 21 December 2010 at 11:03 PM.
Old 21 December 2010, 11:17 PM
L.J.F
Instructing with fear

I want to see a healthy 350ish and have no rattles They also have the uppipe too which is a result!
Old 22 December 2010, 12:28 AM
wrx fifer
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1 for harveys headers and up pipe got a set last year for my classic but had a 2003 engine fitted very noticeable spool up and torque
Old 22 December 2010, 01:45 PM
harvey
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by L.J.F
The headers i am looking at off the classic are a set of Harveys ported and wrapped. Am i right in thinking that the mapper can rescale the sensor during the session? the other headers i am looking at are HKS equal length but they are on a 2.5 and i am not sure if they will even fit??
Yes , your mapper can rescale the O2 sensor, just make sure you have a bung in the downpipe for it. If they are ported and wrapped by Harvey, unless you want 400bhp+ they'll will be spot on.
I hope this is helpful.
Firstly the lambda sensor cannot be rescaled. I suspect the confusion is with the rescaling of the MAF Sensor. The narrow band lambda is specific to model years with a different number of signal and heater wires. 3 or 4 wire usually. Avoid cheap e-bay lambda sensors, personally I only use Bosche.
93-96 cars have the lambda located in the collector on the driver side and these headers are referred to as bulbous. There is no problem relocating this lambda in an aftermarket downpipe and blanking the hole in the collector. If the wire loom does not reach, (it often does if you cut it back a little), then a bit of wire and soldering is needed.
97-00 cars have the lambda located in the downpipe (just after the turbo facing into the centre of the engine bay) The design of these headers is referred to as slimline.
01-05 + cars also have slim line headers but the lambda has been relocated to a hole in the collector just as 93-96 but the design is slimline. There is no problem relocating this lambda to the D/P and blanking the hole.
93 headers will fit 97 or 01 car and vice versa but I never mix up the fitment. ie bulbous car stays bulbous and so on.
Ported headers are a good option well over 400 bhp but subject to spec and turbo in use there will come a point when tubular headers become a better option. Similarly, one uppipe cannot be the best option for all specs and for that reason I do not only ported headers but tubular headers too with a choice of two three bolt uppipes and a choice of six two bolt uppipes which I match to the spec and turbo in use. The GT Spec tubular headers show great torque, spool and response gains from the three bolt special uppipe.

Be careful buying secondhand ported headers claimed to be "Harvey Headers" A number of unscrupulous people have added my name to their headers when they have not been ported or only had a play with a dremel for half an hour.

How's the car John and where are you at with it now???
Old 22 December 2010, 01:57 PM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by harvey
Firstly the lambda sensor cannot be rescaled. I suspect the confusion is with the rescaling of the MAF Sensor.
Maybe it was phraseology, but surely the ECU can be revised to accept the reading from the O2 sensor in the different positions, ie collector or downpipe?

As for which sensors, I haven't seen a Bosch that replaces the newage wideband sensor so I would stick with an OE Denso sensor for that, they can be had considerably cheaper then subaru sell the for and you don't need to rely on ebay for that

How's the car John and where are you at with it now???
Is this aimed at me
Old 22 December 2010, 02:10 PM
harvey
Former Sponsor

I am asking you are getting on with your car John. Is that a problem???

Maybe it was phraseology, but surely the ECU can be revised to accept the reading from the O2 sensor in the different positions, ie collector or downpipe?
The lambda either works or does not work. It has to be at a particular temperature to operate satisfactorily. The sensor includes a heater circuit that warms when the ignition is switched on. The lambda sensor can be switched off or on from the ECU which is usually done during mapping. Narrow band lamdas are not recalibrated because you move position from collector to D/P or vice versa.

BTW I did port a set of headers for Mark M44.... so these are the real deal.
Old 22 December 2010, 02:24 PM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

I am asking you are getting on with your car John. Is that a problem???
No mate, just didn't want to steal someone else's thunder.

It started all over again, getting a respray sorted at the moment with a little bit of flocking, but me plus one other may looking to you for a couple of 18Gs in the near future. I've got some pinks and TGV delete squared, just the turbo, oh and some bigger brakes and she'll be finished

https://www.scoobynet.com/projects-4...ild-again.html

Been banned from playing for a while after I cut my finger tip off yesterday with a stanley knife - trimming the bumper

You keeping well anyway
Old 22 December 2010, 07:55 PM
harvey
Former Sponsor

Jon, I was asking as I was following your thread.
Unfortunately tonight I applied the brakes on my STi3 Wagon, in my wife's office car park. 10 mph max. Absolutely no retardation and slid into a solid wall 3 car lengths away. Sheet ice after the snow melted in the afternoon and refroze. Grrr. New alloy facelift bonnet, bumper headlights and goodness knows what else.
Old 22 December 2010, 08:00 PM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

Jon, I was asking as I was following your thread.
Unfortunately tonight I applied the brakes on my STi3 Wagon, in my wife's office car park. 10 mph max. Absolutely no retardation and slid into a solid wall 3 car lengths away. Sheet ice after the snow melted in the afternoon and refroze. Grrr. New alloy facelift bonnet, bumper headlights and goodness knows what else.
As long as your okay mate, metal can be straightened There seems to be a run on bonnets at the moment - My deer, your wall and Maggs and his supermarket trolley

Prodriverules is doing my paint work, can't say I've seen his work yet, but he runs a business with his did from what I understand. From the discussions I've had with him he comes across as the real deal but I'm not sure if Leominster is a bit far away for you
Old 23 December 2010, 07:30 AM
harvey
Former Sponsor

It was only a very low speed into a solid wall but it shouldn't have happened. I already know Subaru brakes are crap in the snow and posted a warning to that effect a couple of days ago on a thread where it was pertinant but I have been caught out here and I am not entirely sure why. I returned to the scene in my wife's Vectra and it had absolutely no problems stopping. When I get the car sorted which we will do here in Darlington I will put it on the brake rollers and see if that throws anything up. If not I think I may run without the ABS during periods of snow.
I have supplied Prodrive Rules with a couple of bits and he has a garage. Easy guy to deal with.