How 'Safe' is a 6K ecu?

Search this Thread

Old 12 December 2010, 05:19 PM
pandyman
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How 'Safe' is a 6K ecu?

Hi guys

As the title really, i have a 1996 STi 555 and the ecu is an unmolested 6K version, ( have had it apart and no chip or chipset present).

Now i have read on here somewhere that this runs a very similar map to a V6 prodrive upgrade???

Am i right in thinking its a reasonably safe map to run on Vpower?

The car has decat downpipe, Fujitsuobo exhaust, Apexi intake -everything else is standard.

I am looking at having an ESl daughterboard fitted at the end of january and would possibly have some larger injectors fitted at the same time to make full use of the TD05 turbo??

Any advise, thoughts, please.

Andy
Old 12 December 2010, 05:29 PM
my94wrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pandyman
Hi guys

As the title really, i have a 1996 STi 555 and the ecu is an unmolested 6K version, ( have had it apart and no chip or chipset present).

Now i have read on here somewhere that this runs a very similar map to a V6 prodrive upgrade???

Am i right in thinking its a reasonably safe map to run on Vpower?

The car has decat downpipe, Fujitsuobo exhaust, Apexi intake -everything else is standard.

I am looking at having an ESl daughterboard fitted at the end of january and would possibly have some larger injectors fitted at the same time to make full use of the TD05 turbo??

Any advise, thoughts, please.

Andy

i would say its as safe as it can be, just make sure you use decent fuel, v-power or tesco 99
as for it having the same map as the v6 prodrive ecu i would very much doubt it, the esl daughter board is a good upgrade and you can see very good gains from it, if you do go for one i would also recommend the 3 bar map sensor and the larger injectors you have already mentioned and maybe a front mount to get the most for your money while the car is being mapped.

p.s just realised you are from Wolverhampton, i drive past your car quite often, it looks a nice car from what i can see of it

Last edited by my94wrx; 12 December 2010 at 05:33 PM.
Old 12 December 2010, 06:19 PM
pandyman
Scooby Regular

08 March 2007, 23:55 #4Scott.T
Scooby Regular

Just compared the 6K (after finally getting hold of a base map). And can confirm it is the same as a UK PPP map.

I thought the Z4 base was v.close to the PPP, but the 6K from the STi 2 is nigh on an exact match.

that'll shock a few people, knowing that a UK is running an STi 2 map LOL !!!!!!!

Bit strange though how Prodrive rated the PPP at 250BHP and the STi 2 is supposed to be 275BHP. Must be down to mechanics rather then electrickary 1's and 0's.......

Just found the above post!!

Would seem to confirm the 6K is a safe map to all intents and purposes ??

Strange!

Oh and cheers MY94WRX
Not had it long and already its stolen my wallet with engine rebuild,new battery & 2 new driveshafts. But on a plus side it has just passsed its MOT with no advisories - even with full decat
Old 12 December 2010, 06:35 PM
my94wrx
Scooby Regular

Scooby Regular

Just compared the 6K (after finally getting hold of a base map). And can confirm it is the same as a UK PPP map.

I thought the Z4 base was v.close to the PPP, but the 6K from the STi 2 is nigh on an exact match.

that'll shock a few people, knowing that a UK is running an STi 2 map LOL !!!!!!!

Bit strange though how Prodrive rated the PPP at 250BHP and the STi 2 is supposed to be 275BHP. Must be down to mechanics rather then electrickary 1's and 0's.......

Strange!

Oh and cheers MY94WRX
Not had it long and already its stolen my wallet with engine rebuild,new battery & 2 new driveshafts. But on a plus side it has just passsed its MOT with no advisories - even with full decat

sound glad your enjoying it, just make sure you run it on decent fuel.
Old 13 December 2010, 07:43 AM
f4la k
Scooby Regular

Scooby Regular

Strange!

Oh and cheers MY94WRX

Obviously know the freindly mot man, Its allways a bonus when you dont have to muck about sticking a cat back on for the mot....Some of the earlier jap cars arent required to have a cat anyway for the mot, but cant remember what age...

Last edited by f4la k; 13 December 2010 at 07:44 AM.
Old 13 December 2010, 08:43 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If the 6k is a "safe" map and similar to a 1995/6 PPP, then it will only be safe until you go outside its parameters, then its not "safe" and could well end up blowing your engine up.
Basically if your running a decat exhaust and IK I would be worried, the map is for 97ron fuel also, 95 wont help matters if its run on this, and if you have zero devices monitoring det (ks3/knocklink though the ks3 would get my vote 100% of the time having both), then its just another ticking time bomb.
Tony

PS, what caused the first engine failure?
Old 14 December 2010, 08:59 AM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The only issue imho is the induction kit which will effect the maf voltage and therefore fuelling.

Are you able to refit the oe airbox or it would be wise to have a check for safety with detcans etc

Simon