Notices

Tramlining

Search this Thread

Old 11 December 2010, 02:55 PM
WRXrowdy
Scooby Regular

Received 95 Likes on 73 Posts
Default Tramlining

Have had the problem for a while now, after hitting a pot hole earlier in the year. Nasty pothole that had opened up around a drain on the road.
After looking under the car for damage, I noticed that the inside edge of the tyre had delaminated and a section of tread about an inch wide was missing from the tyre on the near side front.

I went to get a pair of tyres for the front of the car and the tyre fitter noticed that the alloy had cracked. I had the tracking checked and adjusted because it felt awful. I asked the guys at the garage to check for any damage and to look out for anything that might be bent.
After these jobs had been done the car felt ok, but not completely right.
As the car was due an MOT in the next few weeks I thought anything wrong should be picked up by the tester, and sure enough the car failed because of a broken anti roll bar linkage on the front offside of the car.
I replaced the linkage, but the car still felt much the same.

The car was then booked in to a local garage, that is owned by a friend of a friend. The owner told me to bring the car in and ask for it to be checked on the shaker plate.
This was done and nothing was found to be suspect.

I have since replaced the front discs and pads and had a good look to see if anything was bent, or if a spring was broken, but all appeared ok.
However, as from a couple of days ago there now appears to be a squeak/scraping noise coming from the near side front strut.

Would a knackered shock absorber cause the tram lining? or would it be more likely a knackered bush somewhere?

The steering also seems more vague in the straight ahead, and, although probably a result of now having decent tyres on the front of the car and the ****e tyres that were on the car when we bought it on the rear still, the back end is more than willing to step out on a slippery right hand turn, but not so much on left handers. It also wants to slide the rear out to the left when accelerating on snow/ice.

Anyone know of the best place to get replacement shock absorbers from?
Am I right in thinking they are KYB shocks standard fitment (52 plate blobeye WRX).

Apologies for the lengthy post.
Old 11 December 2010, 04:25 PM
arumdevil
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

4 wheel alignment, as opposed to grease-monkey tracking.
Old 11 December 2010, 05:27 PM
addison
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What tyres?
Pressure?