Notices

Best turbo upgrade for hawkeye 2.0 sti JDM

Search this Thread

Old 05 December 2010, 04:43 PM
CHAINSAWDAVE
Scooby Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Best turbo upgrade for hawkeye 2.0 sti JDM

Anyone got any advise on the best turbo upgrade for my 55 reg sti JDM Hawkeye? Currently has twin scroll as standard. And what intercooler do you recommend, top mount or front? Looking for around 400-450 bhp!
Old 05 December 2010, 04:54 PM
-Nic-
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check out Litchfield Imports website, they will have a twin scroll turbo to suit your needs.
Old 05 December 2010, 05:11 PM
Toffee
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by -Nic-
Check out Litchfield Imports website, they will have a twin scroll turbo to suit your needs.
Agreed, I have the LM420 S60 with supporting mods and I am well chuffed with this set up. There is another thread on here by Shaun (Starting again with a Hawkeye) and he has gone for the LM400.

Personally I would talk to Ian at Litchfields and see what he says, but I can highly recommend the 420 with 800cc injectors, induction kit and other bits n bobs and then mapped by Richard Bulmer
Old 05 December 2010, 05:14 PM
CHAINSAWDAVE
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by 555EFC
Agreed, I have the LM420 S60 with supporting mods and I am well chuffed with this set up. There is another thread on here by Shaun (Starting again with a Hawkeye) and he has gone for the LM400.

Personally I would talk to Ian at Litchfields and see what he says, but I can highly recommend the 420 with 800cc injectors, induction kit and other bits n bobs and then mapped by Richard Bulmer
Thanks for the info. Do they carry out the fitting at Litchfield also?
Old 05 December 2010, 05:28 PM
Toffee
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by CHAINSAWDAVE
Thanks for the info. Do they carry out the fitting at Litchfield also?
Yes they do mate, I live up North so I went for a local chap to fit it and then mapped by RB, but if I could wind back the clock I would have had the installtion at Litchfields, not sure who he uses for mapping but they will be very good. (I will now always use Richard Bulmer though> dont want to turn this into who's the best mapper )
Old 05 December 2010, 05:41 PM
CHAINSAWDAVE
Scooby Newbie

Cheers, appreciated. Will give them a call. Any idea of the power gains I can expect and a budget?
Old 05 December 2010, 05:44 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Prices are on their website, your looking at 3.5-4k all in for everything, the lm420 loses a bit down low but gives a bit more bhp at the top, the 400 is meant to be similar to the vf37 but stronger at the top end.

Tony
Old 05 December 2010, 05:49 PM
Toffee
Scooby Regular

I think you will be looking at 3.5k all in, I had a few other things done at the same time so I cant remember to be honest, but my car is running 420bhp/400torx now that RB has mapped it.

My car has obviously been driven by RB who also mapped Shaun's, RB reckoned my car is spot on and is a great option. I have never driven Shauns or a car with the LM400 so I cant say.

It would be worth calling Ian Litchfield and possibly Richard at Tracktive Solutions for there advice first hand
Old 05 December 2010, 05:52 PM
CHAINSAWDAVE
Scooby Newbie

Is that including other mods or just the turbo and fitting?, and can the turbo be fitted without other mods? Whats the best way to go?
Old 05 December 2010, 06:06 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Thats all in, ie everything you need

Tony
Old 05 December 2010, 06:10 PM
CHAINSAWDAVE
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by TonyBurns
Thats all in, ie everything you need

Tony
Struth! Seems like the way to go for that sort of bhp fihure!!! Most places that I have spoke to are looking at 5k plus to achieve smilar. Better get meself down there. Is yours a JDM too mate?
Old 05 December 2010, 06:25 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Yes, im still running the standard VF36 though may eventually go for the LM400, will need to think about it a little first

Tony
Old 05 December 2010, 06:27 PM
CHAINSAWDAVE
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by TonyBurns
Yes, im still running the standard VF36 though may eventually go for the LM400, will need to think about it a little first

Tony
What have you had done to yours, whats the year and what sort of bhp you got?
Old 05 December 2010, 09:10 PM
Toffee
Scooby Regular

Is that including other mods or just the turbo and fitting?, and can the turbo be fitted without other mods? Whats the best way to go?
Have a look at Shauns thread (Starting again with a Hawkeye)

I believe if you run the LM400 you can do it a lot cheaper> £2500?

I wanted to get the very most out of my turbo so I fitted uprated injectors and induction kit. Again if you speak to Richard Bulmer at Tracktive Solutions you can here it from the horses mouth > he said my LM420 was "brutal" compared to the LM400, and I quote "you wouldnt believe how much more powerful the 420 is compared to the 400" the difference in lag is very little, but hey I have the 420 so my opinion will probably be biased even when trying not to be I LOVE IT
Old 05 December 2010, 09:20 PM
CHAINSAWDAVE
Scooby Newbie

Have a look at Shauns thread (Starting again with a Hawkeye)

I believe if you run the LM400 you can do it a lot cheaper> £2500?

I wanted to get the very most out of my turbo so I fitted uprated injectors and induction kit. Again if you speak to Richard Bulmer at Tracktive Solutions you can here it from the horses mouth > he said my LM420 was "brutal" compared to the LM400, and I quote "you wouldnt believe how much more powerful the 420 is compared to the 400" the difference in lag is very little, but hey I have the 420 so my opinion will probably be biased even when trying not to be I LOVE IT
And thats the only mods you have?, the turbo, injectors and induction kit? On standard engine? I'd much rather have the LM400 me thinks though!
Old 05 December 2010, 09:22 PM
Shaun
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Anyone got any advise on the best turbo upgrade for my 55 reg sti JDM Hawkeye? Currently has twin scroll as standard. And what intercooler do you recommend, top mount or front? Looking for around 400-450 bhp!
Have a butchers at my project thread here for the relevant information you maybe looking for in detail -> https://www.scoobynet.com/projects-4...a-hawkeye.html
Old 05 December 2010, 09:22 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Wink

What have you had done to yours, whats the year and what sort of bhp you got?
2003 spec c limited, running about 320-330bhp.
A remap and exhaust (plus 3 port) should see me 360-370bhp and pushing 400lbs of torque

Tony
Old 05 December 2010, 09:26 PM
CHAINSAWDAVE
Scooby Newbie

What I meant to say is the 420!
Old 05 December 2010, 09:36 PM
CHAINSAWDAVE
Scooby Newbie

555EFC, Have you got the standard top mount intercooler on mate?
Old 05 December 2010, 09:42 PM
Shaun
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Oh.. imo out of the LM range for the JDM 2ltr, if driveability is paramount than the LM400 is the best option.
Old 05 December 2010, 09:55 PM
Toffee
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Shaun
Oh.. imo out of the LM range for the JDM 2ltr, if driveability is paramount than the LM400 is the best option.
Ah yes but..... I am sure its a cracking turbo judging by the 420

Yep I am still on the standard 2006 Spec C TMIC and when I asked Richard if it needed a FMIC? he replied no he has mapped it correctly for the parts it has

There are other parts like 3 port boost valve but I am not that technical myself mate, I know there were uprated braided oil lines and a few more bits, but at the time I simply asked Ian Litchfield what should I buy to get the very most out of the turbo and I bought the parts.

The one part I did buy which in hind sight I may have bought differently is the induction kit, I went for the RCM engine bay cone type, I know a lot of others go for the inner wing type? personally I dont like the look of them and my car goes very well as it is but you may be better off with the inner wing kit?
Old 05 December 2010, 10:00 PM
Shaun
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Even for a LM420 I wouldn't even bother going for any form of induction kit. The OE airbox with uprated panel filter is up to the job.
Old 05 December 2010, 10:29 PM
CHAINSAWDAVE
Scooby Newbie

Cheers for the info guys, appreciated! I have a K&N typhoon fitted at the moment, love the sound!!
Old 05 December 2010, 10:43 PM
Toffee
Scooby Regular

Even for a LM420 I wouldn't even bother going for any form of induction kit. The OE airbox with uprated panel filter is up to the job.
Shaun, I would honestly bow to your superior knowledge on most technical things, but Ian himself stated my car would be held back by the standard air box, he reckons there good up to 400

I am sure you would agree that Dave is best talking to Ian or Richard Bulmer for best advice (dont even know what exhaust Dave is running or anything?)
Old 05 December 2010, 10:53 PM
CHAINSAWDAVE
Scooby Newbie

Shaun, I would honestly bow to your superior knowledge on most technical things, but Ian himself stated my car would be held back by the standard air box, he reckons there good up to 400

I am sure you would agree that Dave is best talking to Ian or Richard Bulmer for best advice (dont even know what exhaust Dave is running or anything?)
It's a hks hi-power silent exhaust. Not too loud but I believe is a 2.5 inch system with a very large back box, prob around 5 inch.
Old 05 December 2010, 11:20 PM
Shaun
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

If Iain made that statement, then this is one (probably the only) thing I would not agree with him on.

I will be testing this in the future to see how much more power the OE box will allow.... I'm sure others have gone further than 400bhp. The MKII Type25 was 420bhp on the OE box.

Anyway I digress, so apologies.
Old 06 December 2010, 12:18 AM
Toffee
Scooby Regular

If Iain made that statement, then this is one (probably the only) thing I would not agree with him on.

I will be testing this in the future to see how much more power the OE box will allow.... I'm sure others have gone further than 400bhp. The MKII Type25 was 420bhp on the OE box.

Anyway I digress, so apologies.
As stated before Shaun, I just bought what I was told to get a great package so I have no experience with what else does or does not work? but if your gonna be testing we will see