Stock 96 WRX blown turbo ?

Search this Thread

Old 01 December 2010, 12:06 AM
Jayk22
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stock 96 WRX blown turbo ?

Hi any help would be greatly appriciated

In august for around a week i was driving around and a strange noise started as the turbo spoiled up. i stupidly ignored it as was extremly busy at the time no-ing fall well my turbo was sick. Of course 5 days or so later it gave way in dramatic fasion with pulls of smoke. After limping home staying of boost the smoke stoped wile idialing. Ive read as much as i can and im lead to belive that this is symptoms of a blown turbo. Nothing more i hope !

As ive been busy and have a work van ive only just felt the need to get it fixed. As its looking in a sorry state out in this weather. Wont to get it running again befor it sits all winter which no dout will case further problems.

Any advice would be most welcome as myself and father plan to take the turbo out next weekend which neither of us are 100% sure about.
Is it a straight forward job ?
Once removed will it be clear it's at fault ?

Hopefuly all is well and a replacment Td04 will fix things. Which i havent brought yet untill i know this is at fault.
Does anyone have one from a low milage car for sale or am i best buy a recon which ive been quoted £400 for from essex turbos.

Sorry this has draged on. Just wonted to get as much down to help with replies

Thanx in advance
Jay

Last edited by Jayk22; 01 December 2010 at 01:05 AM.
Old 01 December 2010, 05:21 AM
saiklon
Scooby Regular

It's a straight forward job. However the nuts will have be quite hard to remove because of the heat they have been subjected to. Start spraying them with WD40 as early as possible (a day before at least) before the removal job to help with when you remove them.

You can check the turbo before removing it. Remove the turbo inlet pipe and attempt to wriggle the compressor wheel, if it moves a significant amount from side to side - even 1/8 of an inch, then it's dead. It's possible to do this even with the 90 degree inlet on the 93-96 turbos, you can still stick a finger in and it will reach the compressor wheel shaft.

Last edited by saiklon; 01 December 2010 at 10:04 AM.
Old 01 December 2010, 09:21 AM
newman90
Scooby Regular

you may have cooked it bud, also check that once its out if you can spin the blades, you should be able to flick your fingers and it spin for a fair few seconds after.. the job itself is pretty easy just as saiklon said, the bolts are an *** to get off. i had to get stud extractors as mine got rounded. Need any advice give me a pm

Dan