Notices

How often do ignitors fail?

Search this Thread

Old 28 November 2010, 05:05 PM
Clarkie GT
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How often do ignitors fail?

engine's not ran right since re-build...

at around 3k rpm in every gear, regardess of throttle posistion it starts miss firing quite bad.

if i disconnect coil pack 3 it'll rev past 3k rpm no problem... ive swapped the coil for a spare i had in my garage n exact same happens...

i was thinking maybe the ignitor had failed? i.e unable to respond quick enough after 3k rpm causing the ignition timing to beout massivly?

cars a 95 WRX btw.

has any 1 lse had to replace their ignitor?
Old 28 November 2010, 05:11 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You mean injector?
Someone like splitpin is probably more clued up on this, have you checked the HT lead and the spark plug on said tempremental cylinder??

Tony
Old 28 November 2010, 05:40 PM
sonic93
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

every1 having miss fire problems recently.Are they new plugs in there?no cracks in the coil packs even the slightest hair line crack in the coil pack will cause it to break down ?
the plugs gapped to 6.5 even if the gap slightly out will cause boost to blow spark out
Old 28 November 2010, 06:04 PM
Clarkie GT
Scooby Regular

havn't had the plugs out yet, but think that'll be next i think, i sort of dismissed the plugs as they're not very old NGK platinum jobs...

and no, i ment ignitor, it gets a signal from the ecu which then fires the coil packs... havn't got HT leads as its a Version 2 and got a coil pack on each cylinder
Old 28 November 2010, 06:53 PM
arumdevil
Scooby Regular

Was it a complete rebuild?

this could be a long shot but around this time last year with the help of a friend I removed the engine from my legacy GT-B to replace the head gaskets. Didn't get it back running until the new year and once the engine was back in the car never ran right. Basically it would misfire and run on 3 cylinders but only after it warmed up. I could get about 12 miles when it snowed, more like 5 when it didn't, and 3 in the summer.

Tried everything, all the obvious stuff but the problem persisted. Eventually I gave up and bought another GT-B and let that one sit around in the barn for a few months. Not long after purchase the new GT-B blew it's head gaskets as well. Rather than fork out all the cash for the parts to do the same job again, I tried to put the misfiring engine from the older GT-B in the new one and fix the problem. Same story, tried loads of things and couldn't fix it. It dragged on and on. Read many many posts, some with similar symptoms had bent or sticking valves so I decided to take head off and check valves on cylinder 4. Took head off with engine in car (effing nightmare on a twin turbo, but doable). No sign of any valve trouble.

And here's the point - noticed the cam sensor was scored. Turns out the cam wheel wasn't on straight, just very slightly out and wasn't rotating true, so one side was fouling the sensor and 180° round it was too far away. It's now back together and running fine as of last night, after almost a year.

Remove the passengers side cam belt cover and run the engine. look at the top cam whee, there is a window where you can see the cam sensor - is the wheel moving in and out towards/away from the sensor as it turns? if so, remove it and straighten it up.

If not, sorry but it was worth a shot.

Good luck!
Old 28 November 2010, 06:53 PM
sonic93
Scooby Regular

a plug failed on mine after 700 miles i think that might of been anti lag tho lol there gotta be top notch mate im all ways gettin miss fire for some reason then stop be fine for 2 months then again misss fire. what mods u got?
Old 28 November 2010, 06:57 PM
sonic93
Scooby Regular

il have a look at mine to as i only finished my head gasket few months ago. good to hear yours ok now mate