Notices

Anyone fitted Prosport gauges in a Hawkeye WRX

Search this Thread

Old 24 November 2010, 09:38 AM
henrysmith
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone fitted Prosport gauges in a Hawkeye WRX

Would like to get a set of gauges, probably Prosport for reasonable price/quality I hope, Boost, Oil Temp & Pressure. Scoobyworld do the lot for £281 but how easy is it to fit DIY? For the Hawkeye's it has a connection to the top of the engine for Oil Temp/Pressure rather than a sandwich plate.
Anyone done this themselves/advice/comments?

Also do people find these work wll/accurate/stable?

Cheers in advance for any help.
Old 24 November 2010, 09:59 AM
baz995
Scooby Regular

only my opinion but i found the prosport gauge average quality, the tolerance on the connectors is poor (required me gluing them in place to achieve funcationality) the gauge itself is very noisy during start up/shutdown, i imagine this is the stepper motor.

I had Apexi EL2 on my last car and they are miles ahead in terms of quality, looks and fit, form, function.

hope it helps
Old 24 November 2010, 10:03 AM
bigh221
Scooby Regular

Hello mate,

Had mine fitted a couple of months ago at Slowboyracing near brands hatch £440 all in thats for an ATI Pod and the 3 gauges, looks the nuts. I would say reading up on some of the threads its better to pay out for labour to have them professionally fitted, the guy neil at slowboy fits about 3 of these kits every week, took around 2 and half hours to do but worth it in the end, and they work fine no problems :-)

Regards
Neil 06 2.5 WRX PPP
Old 24 November 2010, 10:07 AM
redwards
Scooby Regular

Fitted prosport gauge to classic's, blob's an hawkeye's. The newage cars are slightly easier as you can take power from the clock on the top of the dash.

With oil temp you can use the plug above the 3rd cylinder, or a sandwich plate. Personally I go for the plug.

Oil pressure is fitted by using the location of the existing sensor, the scoobyworld fitting kiet helps with this.

Boost is taken off the front of the manifold and is one of the easier ones to fit.

The gauges themselves are good for the money, the oil temp sensor is a little bit fragile so be careful when you tighen it up, as it can snap easily.

If you're not too confident, then do the job in 2 phases. Wire in the gauges and run the cables to the engine bay one weekend, and fit the sensors the next.
Old 24 November 2010, 11:58 AM
mazmike
BANNED

hi mate i am thinking of getting some .they are a lot cheaper at spec r in oxford
Old 24 November 2010, 03:57 PM
trevsjwood
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Do you mean R-Spec at Bicester?
You have to compare like for like which doesn't seem easy, R-Spec do a very fast efficient service but I guess their prices won't differ to much from Scoobyworld.
The threads on the sensors are tapered slightly and as said wont stand overtightening, my oil temp sensor leaked small amount of oil but a half turn corrected it. I would tighten it reasonable then another half turn.
I would say biggest task is fitting the oil sensor over the third cylinder, the rest is comparitivly easy.
Trev
Old 24 November 2010, 05:20 PM
mazmike
BANNED

what a thicko should of went to school.yes R-SPEC
Old 24 November 2010, 08:44 PM
Scooby Arthur
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by redwards
Fitted prosport gauge to classic's, blob's an hawkeye's. The newage cars are slightly easier as you can take power from the clock on the top of the dash.

With oil temp you can use the plug above the 3rd cylinder, or a sandwich plate. Personally I go for the plug.

Oil pressure is fitted by using the location of the existing sensor, the scoobyworld fitting kiet helps with this.

Boost is taken off the front of the manifold and is one of the easier ones to fit.

The gauges themselves are good for the money, the oil temp sensor is a little bit fragile so be careful when you tighen it up, as it can snap easily.

If you're not too confident, then do the job in 2 phases. Wire in the gauges and run the cables to the engine bay one weekend, and fit the sensors the next.
Cant use the plug above the 3rd cylinder as there is a bar going over the top.

Can also be problems with mounting a sandwich plate as it can be fouled by the heat shield on the headers.
Old 25 November 2010, 09:14 AM
henrysmith
Scooby Regular

Default Gauges

Cheers for the replies. Have decided to save up and go for Defi or Apexi gauges. Do not want to go to all the hassle of fitting and not be satisfied with the outcome.

Cheers.

H.
Old 08 December 2010, 07:19 PM
redwards
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Scooby Arthur
Cant use the plug above the 3rd cylinder as there is a bar going over the top.

Can also be problems with mounting a sandwich plate as it can be fouled by the heat shield on the headers.
What bar is there? I've only ever seen the oil breathers going over the top of it