Notices

stupid question about recirc valve

Search this Thread

Old 23 November 2010, 03:41 PM
Nick T
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default stupid question about recirc valve

Recently got a donour car (ver 2) and the previous owner has removed the re-circ/dumpvalve and blocked the pipes with solid stoppers,
a, Is this a problem
b, Would this cause excess pressure elsewhere

only reason i ask is just got engine up n runing but got steady oil leak from sump/cam cover area and wondered if the 2 were related
Old 23 November 2010, 05:23 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

So it's running with NO d/v, or an different one?

If it were me, I'd be putting a standard one back on, unless you are going for big power, in which case an aftermarket RECIRCULATING d/v is in order.

The dumpvalve will NOT cause excess oil pressure, the culprit will be the gaskets, unless the c/h gasket has gone, or it has blowby. Both of which are expensive
Old 23 November 2010, 05:41 PM
Nick T
Scooby Newbie

indeed , it has no DV, recirc valve atall, just pipes bunged up!

Was going back to stnd recirc anyhow just wanted to see if both related, the feedback i'm getting is possible front seal? sumin to do with behind the cam belt , aparently belts gotta come off to do seal, is it worth renewing belt even though its only 3k iles old?
Old 23 November 2010, 05:49 PM
Glowplug
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Nick T

Was going back to stnd recirc anyhow just wanted to see if both related, the feedback i'm getting is possible front seal? sumin to do with behind the cam belt , aparently belts gotta come off to do seal, is it worth renewing belt even though its only 3k iles old?
I run with no dv. If you have the TD series fitted then it should be fine.

You really need to find exactly where the oil is coming from. If the belt does need to come off, unless it is contaminated i would just check the idlers and tensioner.
Old 23 November 2010, 05:51 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Nick T
This is called a dumpvalve delete. As Alcazar says it won't cause excess oil pressure so won't be a factor in your leak but does increase stress on some of the other components. Clicking search and using "dumpvalve delete" as your query will tell you all you will ever want to know about this - although if you're going back to the recirc valve (which is the best all-round way forward) it's probably a non-issue for you.

the feedback i'm getting is possible front seal? sumin to do with behind the cam belt , aparently belts gotta come off to do seal, is it worth renewing belt even though its only 3k iles old?
If you're getting oil leakage from the camshaft seals, crank seak, oil pump or somewhere else close enough to the timing belt to contaminate it, then yes, you should replace it - and make sure all the idlers, tensioner and cam pulleys are thoroughly cleaned before fitting the new one. If the belt hasn't ingested any oil, then as above, it can be refitted.