Notices

94 import advice really needed

Search this Thread

Old 21 November 2010, 06:10 PM
Importnights
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 94 import advice really needed

hi i have a 94 import its overheating at the moment, will idle for a long time and never gets too hot. when driven will only go for about 3 miles and temp is high. on inspection everytime the rad is stone cold and is pushing out water/steam from overflow on right of engine. i changed water pump about 3 months ago due to doing timing belt along with new thermostat. i have today removed all hoses and checked from blockage. and have changed rad cap. heaters never get hot inside car. i fear head gaskets but am not sure myself i have pressure tested system and dont seem to have a massive gain in pressure when running and no loss when not running. just looking for some help/ideas and advice thanks very much
Old 21 November 2010, 06:16 PM
addi monster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Importnights
hi i have a 94 import its overheating at the moment, will idle for a long time and never gets too hot. when driven will only go for about 3 miles and temp is high. on inspection everytime the rad is stone cold and is pushing out water/steam from overflow on right of engine. i changed water pump about 3 months ago due to doing timing belt along with new thermostat. i have today removed all hoses and checked from blockage. and have changed rad cap. heaters never get hot inside car. i fear head gaskets but am not sure myself i have pressure tested system and dont seem to have a massive gain in pressure when running and no loss when not running. just looking for some help/ideas and advice thanks very much
looks like some sort of a blockage matey, take the turbo cooler pipe(water hose behind turbo) off and fit a hose to it then blast out the system, and pray
Old 21 November 2010, 06:25 PM
Glowplug
Scooby Regular

A sniffer test or compression test would tell you if the HG is the cause.

You could try draining the system and refilling it again in the prescribed way, just incase you have an air lock.
Old 21 November 2010, 06:43 PM
stedee
Scooby Regular

doesnt sound like hg to me, more like airlock or blockage

sounds like the stats gone even though you have changed it - strange, you could try taking it out temporarily to see if that helps.
Old 21 November 2010, 06:49 PM
Importnights
Scooby Regular

Hi and first thanks very much for advice! i havent had pipe off from behind turbo i will try it and see what i can push out system. would you just remove bottom hose then and then put pipe onto that hose? i cant remember what there called but i have one of those testers you put a liquid in and push onto top of expansion and then rev the engine. and if fluid changes colour from blue to yellow it fails. i did that and doesnt seem to change. i have just bypassed the heater matrix joining pipes together to iliminate any blockage in matrix etc and no different
Old 21 November 2010, 06:56 PM
Importnights
Scooby Regular

hi stedee, thanks for the input. i have took stat out and tested in water on the cooker and definitly opens at roughly the right temp got a digi temp sensor did that thismorning. i will try removing it again and leaving it out. and see what happens. i was just wondering on the radiator you have two small pipes one on owerflow line other to small connection on top of radiator. should this pipe be perfectly easy to suck and blow through because i can hear something floating around in cavity inside bottle when i shake it and suck on it etc thanks very much dan
Old 21 November 2010, 06:57 PM
Glowplug
Scooby Regular

Drop the bottom hose off and drain the system. Then refill, like this.

Trending Topics

Old 21 November 2010, 07:09 PM
Importnights
Scooby Regular

thank you for that link b13bat, really useful info as im not that clued up cheers
Old 21 November 2010, 07:14 PM
Glowplug
Scooby Regular

thank you for that link b13bat, really useful info as im not that clued up cheers
No worries. The search button on here is your friend.
Old 21 November 2010, 07:30 PM
Importnights
Scooby Regular

another thing just to add i got given a new water pump from a friend that doesnt need it. im sure its not the pump but i was just looking at it and it seems to have 3 ports coming out of it. two one side one on the other for hoses. mine only has two on one side is this for a different car or something?
Old 21 November 2010, 07:35 PM
rapid.STI
Scooby Regular

i would go with an air lock, but if your not far from me i have a sniffer tester..
Old 21 November 2010, 07:43 PM
Importnights
Scooby Regular

hiya rapid sti, im located in midlands, think thats along way from you if your w/yorkshire. but thank you very much for the offer mate
Old 21 November 2010, 07:49 PM
addi monster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by rapid.STI
i would go with an air lock, but if your not far from me i have a sniffer tester..
were abouts are you in west yorks as mine is losing a bit of water, oil ok, no smoke , no overhaeting?? needs a sniff i think,. im in barnsley
Old 21 November 2010, 07:58 PM
rapid.STI
Scooby Regular

im not far from junction 27 off M62 (showcase)
Old 21 November 2010, 11:01 PM
f4la k
Scooby Regular

another thing just to add i got given a new water pump from a friend that doesnt need it. im sure its not the pump but i was just looking at it and it seems to have 3 ports coming out of it. two one side one on the other for hoses. mine only has two on one side is this for a different car or something?

The earlier cars like yours have 2 ports, i remember doing a similar change and when i removed one from a 98 uk turbo it had 3 ports, but it was ages ago and cant remember what the other port was for.

So basically the one youve been given is from a later car 98 onwards..
Old 21 November 2010, 11:17 PM
Importnights
Scooby Regular

Smile

[quote=f4la k;9726568][/b][/u]

The earlier cars like yours have 2 ports, i remember doing a similar change and when i removed one from a 98 uk turbo it had 3 ports, but it was ages ago and cant remember what the other port was for.

So basically the one youve been given is from a later car 98 onwards.

Thanks very much for the info, i had ideas in my head that i would have to blank the 3rd port off or something!