Notices

gutted - looks like big ends

Search this Thread

Old 21 November 2010, 05:53 PM
stedee
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gutted - looks like big ends

ive just done a rebuild with a 2nd hand forged block - yes i know.

ive had it running and sounded sweet to start with but then it just didnt sound quite right and oil pressure was a bit low - 2bar at idle when warm rises to 4 bar at 2k revs though. its not knocking but there is a bit of a funny sound.
i did the proper procedure when filling with oil but i went to change the cheapo 15-40 semi i put in just to get it running and check for leaks etc.i was going to put in millers 10w 60 but found a bit of glitter in the oil and then checked the sump and there is glitter in the bottom.

can i check any of the bearings from underneath??? if so can i change any??? because there isnt any nasty knocks yet do you think i would have saved the crank????
plus do you have to change the oil pump and modine because of the glitter or because of bigger bits of metal???

what do you think as caused this??? tbh i dont think it was sold to me as dodgy because i would have expected it to knock properly from the get go so i`m thinking sometime between him removing the engine and me building it something as gone pearshaped.