Notices

k+n panel filter advice

Search this Thread

Old 17 November 2010, 07:35 PM
Grant Hay
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default k+n panel filter advice

hi , ive just got a new k+n panel filter, can anyone tell me if this will cause me maf probs on my 2002 sti.

will i notice any different noise from it or any extra performance.

i wil be fitting this and putting my standard recirc back on , so hoping car will run a bit smoother.

the car has the ppp un silenced centre and vortx afterburner.

also the instructions says that the full airbox should be removed to fit, is this true, as ive not even opened the bonnet yet, but judging by the pics on the instructions its just a case of popping off clips lifting lid and swapping over filter

any advice would be great

cheers
Old 17 November 2010, 08:18 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It won't (shouldn't) cause you any problems re. the reliability of your mass airflow sensor, no. When you take the panel out of its protective bag prior to fitting, gently dab the wire mesh with some kitchen roll or toilet paper to remove any loose oil. Once done, it'll be fine.

If you are replacing a standard Subaru paper filter, you will be unlikely to notice any performance difference - unless the one coming out has been left beyond its replacement interval and is badly clogged. Under normal circumstances, any performance difference you get will be so small (a handful of horsepower at most) that you won't actually feel it under foot.

If you're refitting the standard dumpvalve in place of an atmospheric one, there's every reason to suspect that the engine will behave better - especially during on/off/on throttle driving.

And yes, if you can fit the new filter simply by pulling off the top of the airbox, there's no need to go out of your way to undo everything. If the geography of the engine bay makes that difficult, then that's the moment to think about going further.