Notices

anyone using bp ultimate

Search this Thread

Old 09 November 2010, 09:29 PM
Grant Hay
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default anyone using bp ultimate

hi is anyone been using bp ultimate , and if so have you noticed your car having any problems or not feeling as good as normal.

is tesco 99 or vpower any better

cheers
Old 09 November 2010, 09:34 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

It's pretty well known on here that you shouldn't use Ultimate. T99 or V Power are much better.

TX.
Old 09 November 2010, 10:16 PM
Mrchips
Scooby Regular

Your losing 2 octane, which can incer DET. Stick a full tank off tesco 99 or Vpower.
Old 09 November 2010, 10:51 PM
midnight
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just curious as to why you would ask the question ?,,are you already using it ?. If so have a read of the link below:

https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-...light=ultimate
Old 09 November 2010, 10:57 PM
Grant Hay
Scooby Regular

hi midnight, you were giving me some advice the other night regarding my car not feeling as good as when i first picked it up, ever since the first time i put fuel in it and everytime since it has always been bp ultimate as i have a bp at the end of my street , ive also bought a standard re circ valve as you suggested,

could the choice of fuel be giving me some grief

i also have a tesco very close to me aswell for tesco 99

cheers
Old 09 November 2010, 11:21 PM
dazdavies
Scooby Regular

Received 82 Likes on 46 Posts

I'll put this in plain English:
BP Ultimate is sh*t!
I hate Ultimate with a passion, I've had less det using Esso 95.

Use V-Power or Tesco 99.
Old 09 November 2010, 11:23 PM
Grant Hay
Scooby Regular

could i have damaged the car, ive been using ultimate for 2 weeks maybe and have noticed that id doesent feel the same as when i picked the car up iut thought i was imagining it.

my car was released in 2002 , was v power available then ?

thanks
Old 09 November 2010, 11:25 PM
K1985
Scooby Regular

I just got my wrx on saturday, and the guy told my he had it remapped with a piggyback ECU (polas or something) to use 97 ron, so I just use sainsburys super. I shouldn't have any issues if it has been mapped to 97 should I?
Old 09 November 2010, 11:47 PM
midnight
Scooby Regular

pm sent
Old 09 November 2010, 11:58 PM
midnight
Scooby Regular

I cant make it any plainer than : put the best fuel that you can afford in your car,higher octane means better combustion in the cylinders = more power + more efficiecy . You dont put castrol gtx in your engine when you do an oil change do you ? ,you can do ,your car will run ,but it wont thank you for it,and the oil will break down 3 x as quick as a really good synthetic oil imho. If you put the best fuel you can afford in your car and the engine does go bang ,then at least you have piece of mind that you have done your best to try to maintain your enginre -rather than neglect

Vpower has been released fo nearly 10 years ago i think

Last edited by midnight; 10 November 2010 at 12:08 AM.
Old 10 November 2010, 11:07 AM
K1985
Scooby Regular

Ah ok, so even though it's mapped for 97RON, I won't have any ill effects if I were to use VPower or more likely (due to shells distance from me) Tesco 99RON?
Old 10 November 2010, 02:53 PM
rezaP1
Scooby Regular

There should really be some kind of massive notice advising folks to NOT use Ultimate or anything really other than V-Power, or Tesco 99

K1985, using a higher RON will not cause issues, but you will not be benefiting from any of the gains associated with running better fuel ( 99 RON ) unless you have your map tweaked. So best thing to do is get the ecu mapped for Shell or Tesco ... funds allowing of course
Old 10 November 2010, 06:26 PM
daz1968
Scooby Regular

I had my car mapped on total su 97 ron, couldn't be bothered with the small gain I will get with sticking with 99 ron, I will probably use tesco 99 a lot of the time but at least I know if I get stuck I can just fill up with 97.
Old 10 November 2010, 07:03 PM
midnight
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by daz1968
I had my car mapped on total su 97 ron, couldn't be bothered with the small gain I will get with sticking with 99 ron, I will probably use tesco 99 a lot of the time but at least I know if I get stuck I can just fill up with 97.
I have had both my last 2 cars mapped on tesco 99, and that is all that I put in with exception to shell 99 occasionally . There would be no I'll effects if I had to fill up/ top up with superunleaded 97 fuel ,and the car would still run ok as the ecu resets for the lower octane fuel, but I would have the sense not to be giving it stacks & hitting full boost on the lower octane stuff as my car was mapped on 99 Ron fuel.
Old 10 November 2010, 07:08 PM
JAutos
ScoobyWorx

Originally Posted by midnight
I cant make it any plainer than : put the best fuel that you can afford in your car,higher octane means better combustion in the cylinders = more power + more efficiecy . You dont put castrol gtx in your engine when you do an oil change do you ? ,you can do ,your car will run ,but it wont thank you for it,and the oil will break down 3 x as quick as a really good synthetic oil imho. If you put the best fuel you can afford in your car and the engine does go bang ,then at least you have piece of mind that you have done your best to try to maintain your enginre -rather than neglect

Vpower has been released fo nearly 10 years ago i think
YOU READ MY MIND LOL. I would have probably worded my post exactly the same lol
Old 10 November 2010, 07:29 PM
mickywrx
Unmapped 12.4s @ 105

Location: Newcastle. 330bhp-289lb/ft @ 1bar boost - 12.4s @ 105mph
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by dazdavies
BP Ultimate is sh*t!
Steven had the hatchback mapped by Paul on Ultishit.
Old 11 November 2010, 07:52 AM
dynamix
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'll put this in plain English:
BP Ultimate is sh*t!

Use V-Power or Tesco 99.

100% Agreed there.

In order of preference:

1. vpower
2. momentum (tesco99)

and if stuck...

3. total excellium
4. esso super

and if desperate only to get to the next proper fuel stop

5. bp ultimate
6. other supermarkets super
Old 11 November 2010, 08:41 AM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

guys this is all a load of *****. What do you think us guys in Northern Ireland do? We dont get Vpower, momentum, excellum or esso super. we have bp ultimate or tesco/sainsbury super thats it and our cars are mapped to run on 97octane fuel with no problems.

all this sh1te about causing det etc is a load of *****. if the car is mapped safely for the fuel that is used most often then there should be no problems. minimum 97 ron. having said that were uk cars not first run on 95ron?

Last edited by bigsinky; 11 November 2010 at 08:42 AM.
Old 11 November 2010, 09:02 AM
dazdavies
Scooby Regular

You can call bull**** all you want. Every time I've had to put ultimate in it's been det central. I've had less det with esso 95 than I have with ultimate. I've no doubt it will be fine on standardish cars. My issues were on cars with 400+ with aftermarket ecus. Obviously if your mapped for ultimate then you won't have issues but you'll be down on power. I don't give a toss what you put in your car but I wouldn't even put bp ultimate in mine to get me to a shell garage. It's f*cking awful stuff.
Old 11 November 2010, 09:04 AM
dynamix
Former Sponsor

Caareful of those splinters Daz
Old 11 November 2010, 11:59 AM
dazdavies
Scooby Regular

You know me Duncan I'm not afraid of speaking my mind lol
Old 11 November 2010, 12:48 PM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

You can call bull**** all you want. Every time I've had to put ultimate in it's been det central.
i don't doubt it for one minute. we dont like it over here either.

I've had less det with esso 95 than I have with ultimate. I've no doubt it will be fine on standardish cars.
Standards cars should be fine but more often than not we are having to use octane booster

My issues were on cars with 400+ with aftermarket ecus.
A completely different kettle of fish. they usually have a load of ignition advance which you hope your aftermarket ecu will retard at the first sign of det.

Obviously if your mapped for ultimate then you won't have issues but you'll be down on power.
A ******* shed load, but then thats what methanol is for

I don't give a toss what you put in your car but I wouldn't even put bp ultimate in mine to get me to a shell garage. It's f*cking awful stuff.
Unfortunately Daz as long as the main petrol suppliers in NI continue to say the market is not big enough in NI for them to ship the higher octane stuff, we are left with BP Ultimate and supermarket SUL
Old 11 November 2010, 12:55 PM
djandyg
Scooby Regular

I tend to use sainsburys super unleaded or Vpower, i cant actually notice any difference between them - However, my car is only a WRX and is totally standard. If it was tuned up or mapped on a different fuel then id be more selective. Think this is an important note to remember!
Old 11 November 2010, 01:24 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

Well my local is a BP, and Simon (JGM) mapped it with that in. I will admit that mine doesn't run as well on the BPee... I haven't seen higher knock levels in particular, but the car feels as if the ecu is pulling some timing.

All IMHO.

dunx

P.S. Luckily I'm 1 mile from a Shell garage at work...
Old 11 November 2010, 05:23 PM
dazdavies
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bigsinky
i don't doubt it for one minute. we dont like it over here either.

Standards cars should be fine but more often than not we are having to use octane booster

A completely different kettle of fish. they usually have a load of ignition advance which you hope your aftermarket ecu will retard at the first sign of det.

A ******* shed load, but then thats what methanol is for

Unfortunately Daz as long as the main petrol suppliers in NI continue to say the market is not big enough in NI for them to ship the higher octane stuff, we are left with BP Ultimate and supermarket SUL
I do feel for you if that's all you can get but like you said methanol will sort it.

My point is aimed at cars that have been mapped on tesco 99 or V-power. Some people wrongly assume that BP ulimate is a comparable product. Although BP would have you believe it is, it isn't. A car mapped with V-power will be put at risk if you run it a hard on BP ultimate. It's nowhere near as good as vpower.

The only way you're going to be completely safe on the stuff is if your car has been specifically mapped for it. Mine isn't so I'm staying well clear of the stuff.
Old 11 November 2010, 05:28 PM
dynamix
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by dunx
Well my local is a BP, and Simon (JGM) mapped it with that in. I will admit that mine doesn't run as well on the BPee... I haven't seen higher knock levels in particular, but the car feels as if the ecu is pulling some timing.

All IMHO.

dunx

P.S. Luckily I'm 1 mile from a Shell garage at work...
If it has been mapped on the BP it shouldnt see any det activity and it shouldnt be retarding ignition. Yhe ignition will be lower though purely by nature that that is what has been put in the map to compensate for the (VERY) poor fuel quality and to get the best out of it safely.

If you only live a mile from shell why not get it mapped for the best fuel around?

On a recent tuned wrx I did with a VF35, STi tmic, 550s etc (normal suite of mods) ... the difference between the vpower map and normal SUL was 26bhp !! Why not run the best fuel. Even in standard form they prefer it.
Old 11 November 2010, 05:44 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

1 mile from work Duncan...

In case I can't get any out in the deepest darkest crevices of the North Pennines...

dunx

P.S. I add octane booster to whatever I run it on, and she flies once the ambient is down below 15 degrees

Last edited by dunx; 11 November 2010 at 05:46 PM.
Old 15 November 2010, 11:39 AM
SCOOBYLADVA
Scooby Regular

vpower feels so much better than SUL 100 times better than the BP
Old 10 April 2017, 09:16 PM
sc00by17.mn
Scooby Newbie

Hi, i have just joined this forum and alarm bells are ringn cuz ov bp ultimate petrol i have a wrx sti 97 jap import and i always ran it on it i fout the car always run better on it. But at present she is sitting in oma tuning getn full bottom end rebuild because of big ends. so its a definite no no on ultimate???
Old 10 April 2017, 10:11 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

Yeah stay well clear. Vpower or Tesco 99 only

Quick Reply: anyone using bp ultimate