Notices

Pcv valve

Search this Thread

Old 09 November 2010, 10:17 AM
billscooby14
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pcv valve

Hi i have a late 1999 2litre turbo awd EJ205 uk model and have been getting oil in the intercooler,only mods is cat back stainless and a v5 sti intercooler.There is 84,000 and full history and on cold start up i get a puff of blue smoke but thats it.I seen somewere that the pcv valve needs changed every 30,000 and this could cause oil in the intercooler ...is this right and if so anyone know were it is on my version.I also hears it could be the turbo oil seals???It is using quite a bit of oil also and i can feel some oil under the intercooler and the front of it near the throttle body.any help would be great
Old 09 November 2010, 12:02 PM
KAS35RSTI
Scooby Regular

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

PCV valve is situated behind the inlet manifold on the turbo side. The oil in the intercooler system is usually known as Blow-by. A catch can will help.

Blue puff on start up could be answered if you can mention any mods etc & if its been mapped.

I have never really heard anything regarding the PCV valve being changed every 30k

Last edited by KAS35RSTI; 09 November 2010 at 12:06 PM.
Old 10 November 2010, 07:04 PM
morandpeter
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a catch can setup and i believe the garage bunged up the PCV then joined the breathers from each block to the can. Must say car feels a lot better for having one.
Old 10 November 2010, 07:46 PM
Glowplug
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by billscooby14
Hi i have a late 1999 2litre turbo awd EJ205 uk model and have been getting oil in the intercooler,only mods is cat back stainless and a v5 sti intercooler.There is 84,000 and full history and on cold start up i get a puff of blue smoke but thats it.I seen somewere that the pcv valve needs changed every 30,000 and this could cause oil in the intercooler ...is this right and if so anyone know were it is on my version.I also hears it could be the turbo oil seals???It is using quite a bit of oil also and i can feel some oil under the intercooler and the front of it near the throttle body.any help would be great
Blue smoke on cold start up could also be valve seals dripping, especially if there is NO blue smoke on boost. (which is a sign of turbo seals)

I have never heard of the PVC needing changing either.

The oil in the I/C could just be blow by from the breathers, and as Morand(paranoid)peter says above, a catch can set up does help. Easy DIY, there is a guide in Tech Archives.
Old 10 November 2010, 09:27 PM
morandpeter
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by b13bat
Blue smoke on cold start up could also be valve seals dripping, especially if there is NO blue smoke on boost. (which is a sign of turbo seals)

I have never heard of the PVC needing changing either.

The oil in the I/C could just be blow by from the breathers, and as Morand(paranoid)peter says above, a catch can set up does help. Easy DIY, there is a guide in Tech Archives.
hmm trying to say something steve

it took me about 10 minutes to write this reply for laughing

Last edited by morandpeter; 10 November 2010 at 09:29 PM.
Old 10 November 2010, 10:12 PM
Glowplug
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by morandpeter
hmm trying to say something steve

it took me about 10 minutes to write this reply for laughing
Moi?

That makes us quits then, i lol'd when i read what the garage said about your jet powered vacuum cleaner.
Old 10 November 2010, 11:34 PM
mit
Scooby Regular

Most likely turbo. When the seals start to go, you don't really notice any smoke when driving. But, when it's sat for a few hours, the oil in the lines slowly passes the seal, and sits in the downpipe, burning off on starting. This would explain the oil use and i/c pipe oil. Unlikely to be valve seals,as the heads are on the sides of the engine, so the oil doesn't sit on them leaking past. You shouldn't get much oil into the intake on a fairly standard car, a little yes, but not much.

Mit