urgent help needed

Search this Thread

Old 09 November 2010, 06:57 AM
dooby-do
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default urgent help needed

hi people in need of your help once again,i have a my95 wrx jdm turbo
now today i was driving to work all was fine then i noticed smoke coming out of the bonnet vent on the passenger side of the car pulled over and noticed that my oil cap was missing now i did hear a pop when i was driving but can not be sure if it was something in my car or the cap.as i needed to get the car home i drove it back but everytime i touched the throttle it would throw loads of smoke out of the vent im guessing it is coming from the missing oil cap.once i got home only a short trip i looked and noticed that there was a little white sludge in the oil tube were the oil cap goes,would this be caused from me driving it and not having a cap on the oil. thinking maybe 1 of the heads had gone i checked the dip stick but all was fine,checked the water all seems ok in there. the temp never moves since i have owned the car it has always gone up to around a 3rd of the way and stays there never goes above or below even when fans kick in but the car is running simtek does that controll the engine temp. any advice as to what has cause my cap to come of as they are screwed in and my intercooler pipe is close to it aswell so holds it in place any ideas as to what could of cause this would be much appriciated, also i have noticed for last week or so i keep getting my engine management light flash when im driving the car now i no this is controlled by the simtek ecu but unsure why this was flashing the car never seemed any diffrent when driving just flashed when i was coming throught the gears.and since i lost the cap its a bit harder to start the car

p.s sorry about the long and wrongly wrote post but been working all night so am very tired kind regards ben
Old 09 November 2010, 07:59 AM
Butty
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't understand how the oil filler cap is coming off if it is screwed in?
Driving without it will cause crankcase fumes to come out, which will be the passenger side smoke.
Normally it's the dip stick that gets forced out if the crankcase pressure is too high (severe /terminal blow-by).
The Simtek will make the CEL flash due to possible detonation, but doesn't have any knock strategy, so if this is ignored then engine damage can occur.

Is the engine making a lot more noise than in the past?
Old 09 November 2010, 08:46 AM
f4la k
Scooby Regular

check that the oil cap isnt bouncing about in the engine bay and causing the cel light to flash, because its used to detect any abnormal knock.
Old 09 November 2010, 04:24 PM
dooby-do
Scooby Regular

i have looked but cant find the cap anywere.i was told the knock could be down to the fuel that i have been putting in there as i am useing bp ultimate now normally i would only use vpower or tesco 99 but i used bp ultimate as was running low and that was the only petrol station about at the time.
Old 09 November 2010, 04:28 PM
dooby-do
Scooby Regular

also i have not really noticed any diffrent noise in the engine. it did sound the same
just a little harder to start. but i put that down to not having the cap on there
Old 12 January 2012, 11:59 PM
fredster1
Scooby Newbie

hi mate did u find out wot was rong with ur car because im new to scoobys and i have all the same problems with my car its a 1996 subaru classic carn seem to find any help i no its an old post would appreciate ur advice thanks