dv/bov dilemma

Search this Thread

Old 01 November 2010, 02:31 PM
nosjunkie
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dv/bov dilemma

recently i had my car remapped now 304hp

while at the mappers they suggested i should run a dv of some description to preserve the life of the turbo
currently i run without

my issues are these

1 what make model to run
2 where to fit it due to having a reverse inlet

car is a version 5/6 99my uk

all help and guidance appreciated as always
Old 01 November 2010, 02:51 PM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

personally i would change your mapper mate. complete and utter tat IMHO that offers no performance upgrade or longevity of any item under your bonnet.

where do people get these stories from FFS. it beggars belief. whats wrong with the recirc valve already on the car?
Old 01 November 2010, 02:55 PM
urban
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nosjunkie

while at the mappers they suggested i should run a dv of some description to preserve the life of the turbo
currently i run without

my issues are these

1 what make model to run
2 where to fit it due to having a reverse inlet

all help and guidance appreciated as always
Weird - are they saying it not have a dump valve at all then?
That car would have had a nice quiet recirculating one from the factory.
Old 01 November 2010, 02:58 PM
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

DV delete most likely There is some truth in that but personally I run without What turbo are you running.
Old 01 November 2010, 03:13 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by nosjunkie

currently i run without

Seeing as some of the previous respondents are obviously a bit confused here, can you confirm that "currently I run without" means your car has no DV at all - not even the standard Subaru one?

Running without a dumpvalve will reduce the life of the turbo, so in this respect your mapper's suggestion is correct. However without knowing what turbo you have and how the engine is mapped, it is impossible for us to forecast to what extent its working life may be compromised. If, from the power figure, you are running something like a VF28, then you will be causing it a problem. If it's a TD04 hybrid-type turbo, it'll cope with it better, but as above you're still subjecting it to increased levels of stress for next to no net performance gain.

However, there is possibly a more significant issue here. Are you still running the standard Subaru engine management (or an Apexi PowerFC), or have you gone to an aftermarket speed-density based ECU? If you are still running the Subaru MAF sensor, the MY99-00 design does not like the significant vibration it receives as a result of running a DV delete. While the current green stripe design sensor is pretty reliable under general use, they can be damaged quite quickly when running a delete.

The risk of driving round on a custom mapped car with a mass airflow sensor that is on its way out is potentially much more seriious than a blown turbo. Again, if you're still on a MAF, for that reason alone I would run a dumpvalve. If your car does currently have the standard Subaru recirculating DV, then there is no reason at all to change it for something else.
Old 01 November 2010, 03:39 PM
nosjunkie
Scooby Regular

thanks for your speedy replies

im runing a VF 24 with NO dv at all not even recirc
makes one hell of a chat noise when coming off the gas (compressor stall i belive )

so thats where im at right now

also which location is the other thing closer to throttle bodie or turbo

thanks again

current mods large K&N , FMIC , reverse inlet , Vf24 turbo , 3inch straight through , mapped on ECUTEK not aftermarket
hope this helps
Old 01 November 2010, 03:55 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Right. In this case your mapper's suggestion is sound. In addition to what I've said above re. MAF, running a VF24 without a dumpvalve is likely to cause you a problem at some point. In addition to the bearings not liking it, if I remember right, 24's have a reputation for shattered compressor wheels.

As far as location is concerned, given you have a reversed inlet, it's going to be difficult for you to neatly implement a recirculating DV, although that would be the ideal to aim for.

Incidentally, did your mapper give you any reason why this setup is "only" producing 304bhp? This sounds an unexpectedly low figure for the specification you're running. In particular the FMIC, reverse manifold and induction kit seem to be more than a bit superfluous, given that you'd reasonably expect a car with the standard intake tract and top mount intercooler to produce more power than this with the same turbo.

Is it a quality/known brand FMIC, or some eBay special of questionable performance credentials?
Old 01 November 2010, 04:06 PM
nosjunkie
Scooby Regular

the FMIC is a HKS one and was fitted on the car when i got it back in november last year
sadly the car was a right mess and its taken me this long to get it running right

you may remember my previous posts on ecu issues i had

i asked for a 300hp safe margin car as i have had a engine go terminal prior to this and thats what they supplied
therefore i can not blame the mapper for the figure

im sure if i had just kept my mouth shut they may well have been able to push more out of it but ill wait for my engine build for that i think .
i dont seem to be hitting full boost till 4k though guessing the FMIC has something to do with this

so excluding the factor of a recirc

can anyone suggest which way to go next , sadly im not made of money and i feel the ssqvs are over priced for what they produce i may be wrong on this .
please feel free to correct me

thanks
Old 01 November 2010, 07:25 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

You don't need/want to spend any extra on SSQV/MegaFartValves or whatever other silly names manufacturers give this type of product. If I were in your shoes the valve I would use would be an OEM newage unit - which you can usually find on eBay for not very much. You'll then need to find a way of fitting it into your pipework. I think you can buy ready-made adapter flanges to fit them to softpipes, so that will probably be the way to go. You could run it as a vent to atmosphere, or, ideally, set it up to recirculate. Has your intercooler pipework already got a takeoff for a dumpvalve on it, or would you need to have one welded on? If it has, whereabouts is it?