Notices

track car prep advice

Search this Thread

Old 29 October 2010, 11:07 PM
pinkypurkhardt
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default track car prep advice

hi there im after some advice from the track vets out there, i finally got the *****/made up my mind to go the track route with my beloved impreza as im off to afghan next year again so want to really enjoy it incase i have to go the automatic route when i get back lol

so about the car its a bug eye wrx and at the moment im happy with the power level (wannna learn to walk b4 running lol) and i dont really wanna push it any more about 270-280 mods are induction, full decat exhaust incl up pipe, walbro, prodrive 3 port boost solenoid, and dynamix map, just got a set of front brembo's and performance fricion 2 peice disk and pads, hel braided lines, short shifter, harness bar and harness

plans are

wheels to clear brembo's and perelli p zero tyres
battery relocation and red top battery
catch can
suspension
arb
bushes
gauges for oil temp, oil presure, boost
diy splitter

so am i missing anything or any advice any 1 can give and what suspension are people runing/recommend for a beginner dont really wanna spend shed load of cash on coilovers would sti struts and lowering springs be fine as i cant relly see myself pushing the car to is limits lol as never tracked b4 just the odd thrash on the airfeild on camp lol

and arb advice, size ect front and rear or just rear and drop links ect as i have no idea

also what about swirl pots as i read fuel surge is a big killer but would this be nessacery on a car this state of tune

cheers for reading the small essay and any help

p.s. am planning on getting tuition aswell or if there any offers for next year
Old 29 October 2010, 11:54 PM
cster
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are certainly a lot of threads to give you advice about this.
The MLR site has a good section on this and if you go on a track day as a novice they will give you good advice in the briefing.
Your brake setup sounds good.
I would advise you to use tyres that are fairly worn, try to keep the petrol tank at least half full and maybe set yourself a 5K rev limit. Not much to gain by going above this.
Take your time, keep your stints short, do a cool down lap or two and just use your common sense (which since you have a Subaru, is probably in short supply )
Enjoy.
Snetterton is handy to you.
Old 30 October 2010, 12:26 AM
pinkypurkhardt
Scooby Regular

cheers mate will ber in mind the 5k limit, common sense yeah seems lacking when it comes to do with anything car related lol any one out there a suspension guru and take it swirl pot is over kill for my car then
Old 30 October 2010, 12:40 AM
cster
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your suspension setup is the least of your worries mate.
Just take it easy and enjoy yourself.
One further piece of advice - DO NOT RACE WITH ANYBODY!!!
Old 30 October 2010, 01:08 AM
benno22
Scooby Regular

Number 1 rule: Take your car home in the condition it came in.
Basic checks for car oil, pressures etc
Print out race circuit map and watch a few YouTube vids of circuit to get to know it (if you've not been before).
Do as many spotting laps as possible to get to know the course, understanding what gear for what corner and entry point/exit.
As has been said take your time, start slow get fast.
Unless you've got cracking brakes your car will need plenty of breaks as will you!
Take a strong arm to tighten wheel nuts and check every time you stop, EVERYTIME.
Plenty of fluids ie water/ red bull for you
Crappy camera stuck to dash to video if you want to show your mates later
ENJOY!
Old 30 October 2010, 02:20 AM
dj_akademix
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by cster

Snetterton is handy to you.

Snetts is a good circuit to get started on, a strong mix of good fast corners and big straights with some interesting twisty stuff, without being too many corners to learn for first time out.

MSV do run good days, both open pitlane and novice days (7 sessions of 20 minutes through the day). Instructors will be available for 20 quid for 20 minutes and make a huge difference so long as you listen and work on what they tell you.

Before:

1) always make sure all fluids are where they should be and check that tyre pressures are OK as per owners manual. As above - re-check wheel nuts each session.

2) Watch some youtube vids of the circuit you are going to - if you know it already then you'll have a better time (TOCA 3 has most UK circuits on it if you want to 'drive' them)

3) Remember your driving licence and long shirt sleeves. Plenty of fluids, not too many cans of Redbull lol.

4) Brim the tank with the best fuel you can afford. I saw less than 14mpg towing + tracking my standard GB270 recently

During:

1) Never race anyone - take your time and give people space. If some idiot in a rubbish old clio spins in front of you and you hit him, you'll be angry + he won't pay/take the blame

2) Warm your brakes + tyres first lap out - conditions change and people bring mud onto the circuit on the exits to corners when they spin, see each starter lap at the begining of each session as a warming + sighting lap.

3) Build the pace - most spins happen early on with the rush to floor it straight out the pits

After:

1) ALWAYS run a cooling lap, driving like a granny to give your brakes and turbo a chance

2) NEVER put your handbake on when you get back to the pits

3) Leave the engine on tickover +/- bonnet up for a bit after each run - 5 mins.

If you're planning giving the car a beasting, I recommend getting yourself a set of trackday tyres as the p.zeros are good but can be worked too hard in the dry. Look at Toyo 888 (medium or hard) and yoko A048s. Both will suffer a bit in the wet (you'll be one of the quickest machines out there in the wet though....)

Your brakes get the hardest time on any trackday - your set will be more than enough. Your suspension set up should cope with the tyres you're planning on running. Softer initial setup (factory settings) will be much more forgiving and let you learn to push AWD to the limit without spitting you into a wall.

ENJOY - PM me any track dates that you book, I'm keen to fit one more in before the end of the season. Don't turn up fully dressed head to toe in subaru WRC merchandise (obvious reasons), blag plenty of rides in other stuff and I hope you get the bug!!

Last edited by dj_akademix; 30 October 2010 at 02:27 AM.
Old 30 October 2010, 06:41 AM
dynamix
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Paul - you car is ready for a track day as is. The first day you do (there will be more) will be revealing as to what is needed to be improved.. the answer sadly is you (same as it was me) - tuition early in the day will help no end in improving your speed and safety.

Snetterton is the perfect starting place IMO.

As said above, do a warmup lap and a cool down lap (still at a decent speed to cool and avoid holding everyone up) and take plenty of breaks.
When you come in do not put the handbrake on - leave the car running for a while to help cool it down so you will need to think about somewhere level or, if you are in the paddock area, place a plank of wood there before you go out that you can hook a set of wheels over to keep the car still without sitting on the brakes.

Have fun
Old 30 October 2010, 11:13 AM
pinkypurkhardt
Scooby Regular

cheers for the advice guy's put my mind at rest looks like il be ready when the breaks are fitted then. I realised that the biggest failing point would be me lol so i am planning on instruction before i try and thrash the car to an inch of its life but like you have all said the idea was to go and have fun and not try an become the next lewis hamilton lol well thanks again guy's alot of useful tips there especially about not putting hand break on ect woulnt of even thought about it lol
Old 30 October 2010, 11:19 AM
benno22
Scooby Regular

Don't forget to tell the Marshall to **** off, it's customary for a newbie to do this.
Old 30 October 2010, 11:51 AM
dunx
Scooby Senior

Hi, I take mine on a rallycross circuit, tight and twisty.

1. Keep plenty of fuel in the tank, fuel surge is a killer.
2. Your std or STI suspension will feel rubbish on a circuit, fact.
3. Tyres don't matter while you are learning.
4. Fire extinguisher isn't mandatory, but you'd be crazy not to have one handy.
5. Try and enjoy it !
6. Prepare to spank money on suspension upgrades.

dunx

P.S. Best value mod on my car is a Whiteline adjustable rear ARB.
Old 30 October 2010, 06:34 PM
ahar
Scooby Regular

Your brake pads will take a hammering - I ran a nearly new set of front standard (i.e. OEM) brake pads to almost gone in a single day at Rockingham. Brake pad upgrade followed very quickly after that!!
Old 30 October 2010, 06:56 PM
micaredwrx
Scooby Regular

With the mention of Snetterton (Coram especially) and the possible use of R888's or A048's, I'm surprised no one has mentioned a baffled sump. I'm sure i'm not the first person to kill an engine for not using the above round there.
PS
The most important thing to do is have fun

Last edited by micaredwrx; 30 October 2010 at 07:05 PM.
Old 30 October 2010, 07:03 PM
pinkypurkhardt
Scooby Regular

yeah just spoke to bob at aztec performance and he recomended ebc bluestuff so prob get a set of those front and back and the rear disc need replacing so gonna go with the performance friction rears (also bob recomended) and a set of spare rotars for the front

Originally Posted by benno22
Don't forget to tell the Marshall to **** off, it's customary for a newbie to do this.
i will keep this in mind
Old 30 October 2010, 08:58 PM
benno22
Scooby Regular

fair play to you mate, good to see someone prepared to throw their car around the track, enjoy.

p.s. when you sell it, do what everyone else does and put 'never seen the track', 'never raced', 'careful owner' etc etc on your advert.

love it
Old 30 October 2010, 11:41 PM
pinkypurkhardt
Scooby Regular

yeah well i was really protective of the car if it got a scratch i was gutted for days but come to my senses now no point in having it to sit in the garage most of the time and just worry about it when its out its only metal at the end of the day would much rather get the enjoyment out of it now it owes me that much (wont be saying this when its in a gravel pit or tyre wall lol)

Originally Posted by benno22
p.s. when you sell it, do what everyone else does and put 'never seen the track', 'never raced', 'careful owner' etc etc on your advert.

love it
yeah better keep all the trim and standard bits then eh and add the old "always garaged and warmed up and cooled down" and my favourite "one lady owner only used once a week to go to the shops"