Notices

RB tuning Does it again, A big thank you to richard.

Search this Thread

Old 29 October 2010, 09:33 PM
Martin 2010
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RB tuning Does it again, A big thank you to richard.

Well today was hetic, finished work at 4 am went home into bed up at 8 washed dressed in the car and away finally batteled thro the traffic to get down to meet richard ( FB TUNING ) and Had my new bits fitted.

richard fitted the following
VF35 Turbo
gaskets
550cc injectors including adaptors( didnt realise where bought thinkin they were 440cc) TOUCH!! lol

and my better spark plugs the 7 ones lol cant remember what the code is ( bgk ones).
And id fitted my Walbro 255 the day before

must say cant believe how quick and good richards knowledge is, ( from droppin car off hot the turbo was out and new one in with in 1 hour.)

rest of the bits he done after realising that the injectors were my big bargin:d as first i was mift that i was told they were 440cc came straight out a 98 n wud go striaght in mine... how ever turned out to be a touch as although i had to pay for adaptors they were 550cc.

after this he took it out for a spin and put a map on to get us to dyno center.

then worked his magic and got mine to a safe but very usable 327.7 BHP 325 nm torque. at the fly and 257.4bhp at the wheels. which i was well chuffed with as its really good power delivery and feels spot on so smooth and really kicks hard and doesnt drop off till your ready to change gear. also have pops and bangs mapped in for let off and only does it over 3500rpm perfect!!! jsut what i asked for i got!

heres some pics and vid of the scooby on dyno from the day ( also spotted a few while walkin around maidenhead and got a pic of a nice bugeye parked up.

The new bits

fuel pump swap

in it goes

rich gettin his hads dirty ( new turbo fitted already )

The scooby i saw parked up

the results

The joyful drive home BLOODY M25!!

Vid of scooby with a cheeky natural flame

and the final run vid

Really cant thank richard enough top bloke, helped me through out even supplied some of the bits as i was clueless to what i needed, prob glad to see the back of me was on the phione every 5 mins will this work do i need this etc and always had spot on answer,

would highly recommend him to all users and more, his prices are more than reasonable and his knowledge and skill are truely awsome, well chuffed with the work ive had done, and after the traffic cleared i had a little play and pulls like a train maybe due to the fact that my wallet was so much lighter one the way back i got a lot better power to weight ratio lol.

Thanks again richard if you see this mate.
Old 29 October 2010, 10:06 PM
FB Tuning
Former Sponsor

No problem.

An AVCR (or similar) boost controller would be a good investment, for a bit more top end power and to hold a bit more torque. - The PFC was struggling a bit to hold the boost through the higher rev range.

A worthwhile improvement over the TD04 that was previously fitted

Enjoy
Old 29 October 2010, 10:25 PM
Martin 2010
Scooby Regular

xmay have to look into one and a commander.
Old 29 October 2010, 10:31 PM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Figures are good for the mods, similar to the spec I'm after getting too, and again, to be mapped by Rich - but respray first
Old 29 October 2010, 10:40 PM
Martin 2010
Scooby Regular

yeh ive sorta gone **** about face got teh engine done now i wanna save for clutch gearbox the handelin mods suspensions fecked so new suspension then the arb links etc..
Old 29 October 2010, 10:49 PM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know that feeling, need some brakes as well as a new clutch/flywheel combo
Old 29 October 2010, 11:11 PM
Martin 2010
Scooby Regular

ah yeh i need new pads alround and hand brake shoes 2 lol
Old 29 October 2010, 11:36 PM
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Lovely stuff !
Old 29 October 2010, 11:51 PM
Dutch Scooby lover
Scooby Regular

Instead of the pricy AVCR why not use the PFC's boost control function.
Sure, you do not get 2 settings, but at least with a commander you can change the boost.

For this to work you need a MAC solenoid valve from ebay,and a Apexi compatible pressure sensor also from EBay.

Going price for the 2 together is around 50 ukp.
Add 150 ukp for a commander, and that way you have adjustable boost (though not as easy as with a AVCR, granted)and can fiddle with the mapping (ign/inj) for much less money then just a AVCR.

http://www.paulr33.com/powerfc-faq/powerfc-faq.htm#38

It would take a bit of soldering, but it can be made working with the above info.

Last edited by Dutch Scooby lover; 30 October 2010 at 12:03 AM.
Old 30 October 2010, 01:37 AM
Martin 2010
Scooby Regular

something ill consider defo mate for a cheaper option
Old 30 October 2010, 08:48 AM
FB Tuning
Former Sponsor

I had recommended an AVCR, as it is far superior than the PFC's inbuilt boost control, with rpm and gear dependant functions etc.

Martin's car already has a 3 port solenoid fitted in place of the OE two port, which is being controlled by the PowerFC, and if he gets hold of a commander, then he'll be able to switch between the 4 already programmed boost settings

There's no advantage to be had from DIYing a version of the Apexi Boost Control Kit, as the boost/solenoid control will be exactly the same as it is now, and the existing MAP sensor isn't being saturated at the boost pressure level it's operating at, so there's no benefit to installing a 3 Bar version.

Once the Boost Duty Cycle level is set, and boost starts to learn and becomes stable, that's about all you can do on the PFC for setup. AVCR is a much more capable boost controller.

Last edited by FB Tuning; 30 October 2010 at 08:52 AM.
Old 31 October 2010, 01:16 AM
Martin 2010
Scooby Regular

ok mate ill get saving but need a few things so be stayin as it is for a while. i love it, and my mate keeps pestering me sayins his 170 ish bhp starlet will beat my 327bhp scoob, he was like yeh but mines like 220 power to weight to a tone and yours is more like 240-250, and so my simple anser was 240-250 is more than 220 for a start and im not gonna sit here play bar talk figures with you we will settle it at the pod, of which his only reply was even with 4wd you wont have me off the line so i just its all talk see u at the pod or simular ( after ive done the clutch and box lol. )