Notices

Which Dump Valve

Search this Thread

Old 28 October 2010, 01:15 PM
JAutos
ScoobyWorx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which Dump Valve

Firstly i know the standard one is the best etc and also the baileys one i currently use is about as much use as a grain of sand in the desert but i am going for 350bhp with my bugeye and want a suitable dump valve that will be right for power im running etc
Old 28 October 2010, 01:56 PM
scooby72
Scooby Regular

I plump for FORGE!
Old 28 October 2010, 02:18 PM
JAutos
ScoobyWorx

Originally Posted by scooby72
I plump for FORGE!
My thought too, but as i am going to be running high boost compared with standard i didnt want to buy one that isnt exactly right for my application. Do they only do one or are there different versions adjustable etc
Old 28 October 2010, 02:50 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JAutos
Firstly i know the standard one is the best etc and also the baileys one i currently use is about as much use as a grain of sand in the desert but i am going for 350bhp with my bugeye and want a suitable dump valve that will be right for power im running etc
The standard one should deal with that fine.
Old 28 October 2010, 03:05 PM
JAutos
ScoobyWorx

Originally Posted by Splitpin
The standard one should deal with that fine.
I dont have one as mine came with the throw away bailey one lol. its ok at the minute but they start to cause issues on cars with more than 270bhp ive heard, i do like the sound of em if im honest so i just want a decent one. possibly a part atmospheric part recurc.
Old 28 October 2010, 03:20 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

The combination atmos/recirc valves are more than a bit pointless, as they become atmospheric during the the moments you most need them to recirculate. If you're thinking about one of those because you "like the sound", but were figuring a 50/50 one will give you some sort of "best of both worlds" scenario, you may as well just fit an atmospheric one.

OEM DV's easy and cost-effective to get hold of - so if you don't have one right now, there's no reason not to give one a try.
Old 28 October 2010, 03:55 PM
JAutos
ScoobyWorx

The combination atmos/recirc valves are more than a bit pointless, as they become atmospheric during the the moments you most need them to recirculate. If you're thinking about one of those because you "like the sound", but were figuring a 50/50 one will give you some sort of "best of both worlds" scenario, you may as well just fit an atmospheric one.

OEM DV's easy and cost-effective to get hold of - so if you don't have one right now, there's no reason not to give one a try.

OEM is the way im now thinking
Old 28 October 2010, 04:15 PM
P1#1015
Scooby Regular

I plump for FORGE!
Originally Posted by JAutos
My thought too, but as i am going to be running high boost compared with standard i didnt want to buy one that isnt exactly right for my application. Do they only do one or are there different versions adjustable etc
Another vote for the Forge VTA

You can always fine tune it with the spring/shim kit too
Old 28 October 2010, 04:48 PM
cdm1
Scooby Regular

depending on what year car you have i have a Forge one for sale in the for sale section
Old 28 October 2010, 04:55 PM
scooby72
Scooby Regular

Now heres where I prob need correcting but as they are twing piston dont they just clamp more under load??
I know you can get ectra internal bits from FORGE though so there is probably what you need under one company.
Old 28 October 2010, 05:16 PM
P1#1015
Scooby Regular

Now heres where I prob need correcting but as they are twing piston dont they just clamp more under load??
I know you can get ectra internal bits from FORGE though so there is probably what you need under one company.
The twin piston design contributes to preventing higher boost levels forcing the valve open - leaking boost pressure. The spring and shim kits are very effective if you do need to fine tune, but I very much doubt you would need to in all fairness. The Forge units are very good quality pieces of kit, never had any problems at all.

The one which cdm1 has for sale is silly money - if it were me I would buy that one now, think about it later, and then either fit or sell on when you've made your mind up

Last edited by P1#1015; 28 October 2010 at 05:17 PM.
Old 28 October 2010, 05:17 PM
QUICKSCOOB
Scooby Regular

HKS SSQV.Got one on mine.One word-AWESOME
Old 28 October 2010, 05:20 PM
martin850
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by QUICKSCOOB
HKS SSQV.Got one on mine.One word-AWESOME
I agree I'm on the look out for another for my Bugeye after having one on each of my previous Scoobies.
Old 28 October 2010, 09:12 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by P1#1015
The twin piston design contributes to preventing higher boost levels forcing the valve open - leaking boost pressure.
Not really. The main purpose of a twin piston dumpvalve is to create a "Oooh, it's got two, it must be twice as good" selling point to assist the manufacturer's perfectly legitimate desire to sell stuff to people who don't really know any better.

Your suggestion that a twin piston DV "prevents higher boost levels forcing the valve open" doesn't really stand up to too much scrutiny, given that there's no good reason why a functional conventional/single piston valve should leak under boost.

Don't forget that there's a pipe connecting the the inlet manifold to the un-pressured side of the DV. When you are on wide open throttle - no matter how much pressure you run, the DV will be blown shut via pressure from the inlet manifold as well as the spring. In other words, if you are running 2 bar of boost, there will be 2 bar in the intercooler trying to force the DV open, but 2 bar on the other side of the diaphragm plus the spring, forcing it shut.

If there is a pressure differential at all, it will be whatever drop you get across the throttle body, and won't be particularly significant.

The main point of different springs and shim kits is (or should be) to ensre that the valve opens at the correct points (and stays shut at normal idle vacuum) rather than to withstand greater levels of boost. Although the best way of avoiding having to muck about with different springs and stuff is simply to use the OEM DV, which works out of the box.

Where there is a technically grounded reason to use a non-standard dumpvalve, it's less the need to "withstand" greater levels of boost, and more an imperative to dump out greater volumes of air than the OE item can comfortably cope with.
Old 29 October 2010, 11:12 AM
scooby72
Scooby Regular

Thanks Splitpin - That got my head around it. My thoughts were along the equal pressure route just didnt quite reason the backwards open close method in the twin piston.
Old 29 October 2010, 11:17 AM
JAutos
ScoobyWorx

Not really. The main purpose of a twin piston dumpvalve is to create a "Oooh, it's got two, it must be twice as good" selling point to assist the manufacturer's perfectly legitimate desire to sell stuff to people who don't really know any better.

Your suggestion that a twin piston DV "prevents higher boost levels forcing the valve open" doesn't really stand up to too much scrutiny, given that there's no good reason why a functional conventional/single piston valve should leak under boost.

Don't forget that there's a pipe connecting the the inlet manifold to the un-pressured side of the DV. When you are on wide open throttle - no matter how much pressure you run, the DV will be blown shut via pressure from the inlet manifold as well as the spring. In other words, if you are running 2 bar of boost, there will be 2 bar in the intercooler trying to force the DV open, but 2 bar on the other side of the diaphragm plus the spring, forcing it shut.

If there is a pressure differential at all, it will be whatever drop you get across the throttle body, and won't be particularly significant.

The main point of different springs and shim kits is (or should be) to ensre that the valve opens at the correct points (and stays shut at normal idle vacuum) rather than to withstand greater levels of boost. Although the best way of avoiding having to muck about with different springs and stuff is simply to use the OEM DV, which works out of the box.

Where there is a technically grounded reason to use a non-standard dumpvalve, it's less the need to "withstand" greater levels of boost, and more an imperative to dump out greater volumes of air than the OE item can comfortably cope with.
Excellent explaination
Old 29 October 2010, 12:17 PM
nickscooby
Scooby Regular

Ive got a Blitz, sounds awesome, comes with a filter attachment if you want to quieten it down and it is adjustable.