Notices

Newbie with Blobeye Wrx S/Wagon seeking general maintenance advice.

Search this Thread

Old 19 October 2010, 09:07 AM
Harry Kovert
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie with Blobeye Wrx S/Wagon seeking general maintenance advice.

Good morning all,

As the thread title states I'm a newbie who has recently aquired an 02 Blobeye Model Wrx Station Wagon.

I'm hoping some of you may be able to help in suggesting some tips concerning general maintenace such as how often do you check the oil, how often do you have your cars serviced and anything you think may help a very wet behind the ears new scoobie owner.

Thanks in advance,

Harry
Old 19 October 2010, 09:26 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome
Just to clarify what you have, blobeye or bugeye 2002 model (its just that blobs are 2003 cars and the earliest plate you normally see them on is a 52).
Maintenance is the same though, 10k or 1 year, check the oil every 1k miles or when your going on a long journey (they shouldnt drink the stuff), different services vary in price from 100 quid to 800 (depends where you go, speciallists are normally cheaper than dealers, but like dealers, you have to find a good one ) and its recommended to do cambelts on time.

Tony
Old 19 October 2010, 09:34 AM
Stevesbluewrx
Scooby Regular

Hello and welcome matey,

Oil checks I try and do every week or failing that every other week. Some people have there own methods of checking. I tend to check the oil from cold then start the car and leave it ticking over for a few mins then let the oil go back down to sump then re-check the oil.

Water levels I check the same as oil etc.

For servicing as long as you have the main ones up to date etc (timing belt etc) then just do the normal service plans .i.e once a year. If however you modify the car etc then I tend to change the following
my oil every 3k
Fuel Filter every 10k
Plugs every 10k

I have a cold air feed for a air filter but check that every month or so. Then replace/clean when the time comes.

If you haven't got the latest service done etc then I'd suggest getting it done to be on the safe side this may also include a belt change (not cheap) but worth it in the long run.

What's your location buddy?

Steve
Old 19 October 2010, 09:44 AM
Harry Kovert
Scooby Newbie

Thanks Tony and Steve, advice greatly appreciated.

Tony....the car in question is here.....the advert..http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/2101929.htm.. i presume it's a blobeye....

Steve....I'm based just outside Bath so have booked the car in for a service with Tiley Developments in Bristol due to a recommendation.
Old 19 October 2010, 09:53 AM
bengo
Scooby Regular

That's a bug-eye mate...

Ben
Old 19 October 2010, 09:55 AM
Harry Kovert
Scooby Newbie

Thank you Ben.....More wet behind the ears than even I imagined ; ]
Old 19 October 2010, 10:57 AM
MrNoisy
Supporting Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Steve's offered some good advice there mate.
I'd say if you don't get a good solid history with the car (which ideally you should look for), then get the belts and plugs and oil changed after you buy it - better safe than sorry