Notices

STI 6 Type R conversion to twin scroll setup info and advice needed

Search this Thread

Old 09 October 2010, 09:06 PM
kurt sti
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink STI 6 Type R conversion to twin scroll setup info and advice needed

I wish to converted my type r to a twin scroll setup what parts do I need and is it worth going this way any info and advice appreciated or will it be better to go the single scroll way

I think I need the following item’s exhaust manifold, turbo; sump, pickup pipe, dipstick + tube, down pipe, upgrade the top intercooler and a remap

I’m looking for about 400 bhp for this moment so I’ll need the following parts I think

-Turbo: Litchfield LM400-S60. LM450-S60, LM450-L60 the LM450-L60 because I later wish to upgrade to an 2.5 liter or Kinugawa TD06SL2-20G this will only work on a 2 liter probably
-Manifold Kinugawa Spec C Turbo Manifold Equal Length Design
-Down pipe in 2.5 Hayward & Scott Twin Scroll or do I need a 3” one
-Hayward & Scott 3" Straight through Centre Pipe
-Hayward & Scott 3" Backbox
Any suggestion on the upgrade the top intercooler and a remap near Kent

Sump, pickup pipe, dipstick + tube from subaru need part number please

kurt
Old 09 October 2010, 09:12 PM
happydude303
Scooby Regular

is your engine been forged as you might want to do that first
Old 09 October 2010, 09:14 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Remap near Kent Slowboy Racing
Old 09 October 2010, 09:46 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by kurt sti
I wish to converted my type r to a twin scroll setup what parts do I need and is it worth going this way any info and advice appreciated or will it be better to go the single scroll way
Before we can advise you on the "best way", we really need to know what you're trying to achieve. I'm running a very similar setup to what you're looking at, so if you want a combination of good power plus excellent throttle response and general driveability, you're going to end up with a smile on your face.

I think I need the following item’s exhaust manifold, turbo; sump, pickup pipe, dipstick + tube, down pipe, upgrade the top intercooler and a remap
That's basically it. However if your version 6 engine is currently standard, you will need to upgrade the injectors, fuel pump, and possibly pressure regulator in order to get much above 340bhp. May be worth looking at parallel fuel supply too.

-Turbo: Litchfield LM400-S60. LM450-S60, LM450-L60 the LM450-L60 because I later wish to upgrade to an 2.5 liter
Again, it'd help if we knew what sort of timescale you are thinking of for the 2.5 swap, and what sort of power goal you will have then. Choosing components optimised for the short term, 2.0 400bhp project will compromise the later one, while buying stuff with a higher output 2.5 build in mind will compromise the response and driveability of the 2.0.

-Manifold Kinugawa Spec C Turbo Manifold Equal Length Design
If I were in your shoes I would get hold of an OE Subaru twinscroll manifold and up-pipe in preference to above.

Any suggestion on the upgrade the top intercooler
For your 400bhp build, a newage STi intercooler (plus its dumpvalve and air recirc pipe) would be ideal. Again though if you're looking at a considerably higher power build in the long term, a front mount intercooler may be preferable. If you're going FMIC (and therefore induction kit), big power, you may well also end up on an aftermarket ECU. As such, again, depending on goals and timescale, you might want to be looking at buying that now, rather than spend on an Ecutek licence that you won't be able to utilise into the future (assuming your current ECU doesn't have one). Again, it's easier to advise if we know what you're aiming for.

Sump, pickup pipe, dipstick + tube from subaru need part number please
The latest sump is 11109AA151 I believe. Not sure of the other numbers offhand.
Old 10 October 2010, 10:22 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think the cost will outweigh what your car is worth, the twin scroll setup will increase the torque considerably, I would be worried about the clutch and gearbox, you could add a 6 speed but then your looking at 2.5k ish, is it worth it? you could pick up a JDM new age STI for 10-11k which is 3-5 years newer than your v6, has all the goodies added etc, plus they have a far stronger engine than the classics, 350+ will be straining your engine, by the time you add up all the costs for a reliable car, your going to be well out of pocket

Tony
Old 10 October 2010, 06:02 PM
kurt sti
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by happydude303
is your engine been forged as you might want to do that first
I don't think my engine is forged if this is necessary I will go directly for the 2.5 forged versions.
I was looking at this possibility as a step in between to the 2.5 because I was told that it possible to go up to 400bhp on an STI 5/6 engine on standard internals
My engine standard and go 30k on it engine number EJ207DW1PR

kurt
Old 10 October 2010, 06:41 PM
kurt sti
Scooby Regular

Smile reply

Originally Posted by Splitpin
Before we can advise you on the "best way", we really need to know what you're trying to achieve. I'm running a very similar setup to what you're looking at, so if you want a combination of good power plus excellent throttle response and general driveability, you're going to end up with a smile on your face.

What I'm looking for is indeed a car whit an good combination of good power plus excellent throttle response and general driveability a car that I car us during the weekend to us on the B roads I don' drive the on the motorway normally

That's basically it. However if your version 6 engine is currently standard, you will need to upgrade the injectors, fuel pump, and possibly pressure regulator in order to get much above 340bhp. May be worth looking at parallel fuel supply too.

I already have some upgrades in stock for this build as

UK 6 speed gearbox
Link version 5/6 ECU
Walbro 255 l/hr uprated fuel pump
850cc Phase 2 Fuel Injectors
NGK racing 8 spark plugs
Apexi Induction system
sage racing alloy fuel rail kit
JDM c SPEC inlet manifold without TGV

And for the 2.5 build I have the following
Item
New 2.5 standard sort Blok
JDM V7 C spec heads
front mount intercooler

Again, it'd help if we knew what sort of timescale you are thinking of for the 2.5 swap, and what sort of power goal you will have then. Choosing components optimised for the short term, 2.0 400bhp project will compromise the later one, while buying stuff with a higher output 2.5 build in mind will compromise the response and driveability of the 2.0.

Tthe 2 litre upgrade this winter and the 2.5 necks winter because I need to do a second little project on this can and this is get it register in Belgium and convert it from RHD to LHD and have some toys that need some attention.
I understand that this not ideal and what need to change to go to 2.0 upgrade and later to the 2.5 I change but for instants buying a exhaust at this moment that is usable on the 2.0 and ideal on the 2.5 that is the info that I’m looking for.

If I were in your shoes I would get hold of an OE Subaru twinscroll manifold and up-pipe in preference to above.

I didn't realize the standard was so good is this will do the job on the 2.0 and the2.5 build I'll be looking for one. Or is the Kinugawa Spec C Turbo Manifold Equal Length so bad

For your 400bhp build, a newage STi intercooler (plus its dumpvalve and air recirc pipe) would be ideal. Again though if you're looking at a considerably higher power build in the long term, a front mount intercooler may be preferable. If you're going FMIC (and therefore induction kit), big power, you may well also end up on an aftermarket ECU. As such, again, depending on goals and timescale, you might want to be looking at buying that now, rather than spend on an Ecutek licence that you won't be able to utilise into the future (assuming your current ECU doesn't have one). Again, it's easier to advise if we know what you're aiming for.

If possible I wish to us a TMIC even on the 2.5 if it is possible maybe even whit an custom water/air setup so the air hasn’t have to travel the extra length

kurt
Old 10 October 2010, 06:43 PM
kurt sti
Scooby Regular

Smile reply

Originally Posted by Splitpin

What I'm looking for is indeed a car whit an good combination of good power plus excellent throttle response and general driveability a car that I car us during the weekend to us on the B roads I don' drive the on the motorway normally

I already have some upgrades in stock for this build as

UK 6 speed gearbox
Link version 5/6 ECU
Walbro 255 l/hr uprated fuel pump
850cc Phase 2 Fuel Injectors
NGK racing 8 spark plugs
Apexi Induction system
sage racing alloy fuel rail kit
JDM c SPEC inlet manifold without TGV

And for the 2.5 build I have the following
Item
New 2.5 standard sort Blok
JDM V7 C spec heads
front mount intercooler

Tthe 2 litre upgrade this winter and the 2.5 necks winter because I need to do a second little project on this can and this is get it register in Belgium and convert it from RHD to LHD and have some toys that need some attention.
I understand that this not ideal and what need to change to go to 2.0 upgrade and later to the 2.5 I change but for instants buying a exhaust at this moment that is usable on the 2.0 and ideal on the 2.5 that is the info that I’m looking for.

I didn't realize the standard was so good is this will do the job on the 2.0 and the2.5 build I'll be looking for one. Or is the Kinugawa Spec C Turbo Manifold Equal Length so bad

If possible I wish to us a TMIC even on the 2.5 if it is possible maybe even whit an custom water/air setup so the air hasn’t have to travel the extra length

kurt
Old 10 October 2010, 06:50 PM
kurt sti
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TonyBurns
I think the cost will outweigh what your car is worth, the twin scroll setup will increase the torque considerably, I would be worried about the clutch and gearbox, you could add a 6 speed but then your looking at 2.5k ish, is it worth it? you could pick up a JDM new age STI for 10-11k which is 3-5 years newer than your v6, has all the goodies added etc, plus they have a far stronger engine than the classics, 350+ will be straining your engine, by the time you add up all the costs for a reliable car, your going to be well out of pocket

Tony
I like the classic shape cars more that the later one I know the chassis is better on the later one bud this are much heavier I think I Can make my STI 6 between 1050kg and 1100kg even whit the extra strengthening and the 6 speed gearbox I don't think this will be possible on the later cars

kurt
Old 10 October 2010, 07:39 PM
mickywrx
Unmapped 12.4s @ 105

Location: Newcastle. 330bhp-289lb/ft @ 1bar boost - 12.4s @ 105mph
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Why not buy the T-Scroll engine complete?

One in the For Sale section; https://www.scoobynet.com/private-fo...oll-setup.html
Old 10 October 2010, 08:27 PM
happydude303
Scooby Regular

japperperfromance in crawly will sell all you need to turn your car in to a twin scroll for about 1000 the set up which come with they jap spec sti so you get the vf 35 or 37 cant remember which one it is the manifold sump and you should get about 350- 360 and it will be nice on 2.0 but 400 on a standard classic is asking alot and will be a matter of time but then you could get a nice 2.1 stroker done from engine tuner and then get a bigger twin scroll turbo and the world is your oyster : >
Old 12 October 2010, 02:32 AM
Hyperflow
Former Sponsor

If you are looking for a sump to work with your new setup that will perform better than the factory tiny twin scroll sump we have just released a sump to suit these setups. Hyperflow sumps are larger capacity and include inner + top baffles with the S2 & S3 also including a new stronger pickup tube.

For you reference oil volumes of all the Subaru Sumps:

OEM Twin scroll/05+ non Twin Scroll = 3lt

01-05 OEM non Twin Scroll = 4lt

Hyperflow Stage 3 Twin Scroll = 4.5lt

Hyperflow Stage 1 & Stage 2 non Twin Scroll = 5.75lt

All measured 40mm below top of sump flange which roughly represents full point on dipstick. Volume is sumps only not oil cooler/ filter lines etc.

More info here:
http://hyperflow.com.au/index.php?wi...mps-ars&page=1

Kind Regards,

Team Hyperflow