Intermittent Starting Problems

Search this Thread

Old 23 September 2010, 08:56 PM
LukeyWRX
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intermittent Starting Problems

Hi everyone,

Im having a few problems with my 1993 WRX Import.

It started off with being abit slow starting in the mornings, It would crank slowly for the first couple of turns then suddenly turn over faster and fire into life. Slowly this became abit more of an issue, taking longer to get started and occasionally happening after being turned off when warm to.

I checked the ecu and it came back with a fault code for Crankshaft sensor, so i immediately replaced this with a second hand sensor, reset the ecu and i though it had improved the problem but within a couple of days the ecu was showing the same code when scanned. (No CEL light, just randomly checking). So i purchased a brand new sensor from Subaru assuming it was just a dodgy second hand sensor.. Well.. Fitted it and still the same problems and same code within a day or two.

The problem seems to be getting worse by the week, turning over very slowly for upto 10 minutes sometimes, then you'll turn it over and the crank will be alot faster and up it fires. This can be a pain in the mornings because it also causes the exhaust to backfire very very loudly, im assuming, because of the fuel / pressure building up in the exhaust from keep turning it over. Also, after a reset, once the ecu throws up the crankshaft sensor error again the timing seems to slightly retard on the car causing it to not feel as quick. Not sure if this would be related mind.

Any idea what this could be? Im thinking possibly starter motor, but, im not sure as to why this would throw up a crankshaft sensor code? Im at abit of a loose end and really need to get this sorted now before i end up stranded somewhere. Thanks for any help
Old 24 September 2010, 11:51 AM
LukeyWRX
Scooby Newbie

anybody have any ideas? took an age to get it started this morning
Old 25 September 2010, 02:30 AM
kevin wrx
Scooby Regular

Check to make sure all the earth strap to battery is ok as have had my car throw up cel lights and trouble starting after I examined earth terminal it was in poor condition at the end that goes to the battery had partly broken so put a new one on and everything is fine now have u checked the plugs incase they no good also check wires to crankshaft sensor incase there might be a small break and it's only making good conection now and then but a dodgy earth sounds more likely as if there is one that certain component is not getting the right voltage and is throwing up that fault code sorry for the essay but I no how frustrating it is when they go wrong
Old 25 September 2010, 02:51 AM
Martin 2010
Scooby Regular

possibly worth tryin a different starter motor?
Old 25 September 2010, 07:39 PM
Scooby715
Scooby Regular

First thing i'd do is take a look at your starter motor to see if its carboned up its a quick and easy one to do on the scoobs, probably about 45mins ish not a big job.

- first take your intercooler off, think its 3 bolts and then 2 jubilee clips, the one on the big pipe at the front and the other onto the turbo outlet. The I/c should now lift off.
- Now two bolts (and the electrical plug) hold the starter in and i think a ground wire goes on one of the bolts so remember which one it is.

Remove the starter and you SHOULD be able to get a screwdriver in and push the cog away from the motor on the spindle easily and the cog will turn while you do this.
My guess is this will be very stiff (as mine was on my00 turbo) and will be very difficult to move, hence the battery is struggling to spin it quickly enough when its on the car. Spray WD40 onto the cog and spindle and work it in and out until it moves and spins freely, dry off excess wd40 and re-fit.

If this is not the case and it move ok anyway at least you know your starter motor is ok (so the battery is not struggling to turn it mechanically) and your problem is elsewhere without having to shell out on a starter for nowt!!