Notices

Air filters make absolutely no difference!

Search this Thread

Old 11 September 2010, 04:34 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Talking Air filters make absolutely no difference!

Well I have owned my MY03 Spec C Limited (in white ) for approximately 4 months now, I happily chug around in her and love the mid range torque she has on offer but one thing has bugged me since day 1 (well maybe month 2 ) just prior to her service she was a little hesitent to go above 6k (more like hit a brick wall and not wanting to go any further), so serviced, still suffered the problem, quite happy to boost through the gears, no other issues, and owning one of these from new also gave me a little insight into the fact that first one didnt much like going beyond 6.5k.

Now this isnt applicable to all cars, most subaru's will happily rev to the red line, I found that pretty standard Spec C's of this age didnt (and this one does have a uk fuel map).
Now I thought it was time to go and spend a little bit of cash on one of the best modifications I have done on a Spec C (complements of John Felstead who all those years ago recommended this certain panel filter to me )
Off to Prosport and picked up my nice new (somewhat expensive due to the exchange rate) STI panel filter (Thanks Pete )

I use to have a very slight ammount of hesitency around 4k (very small) this had now gone
I can feel she is more responsive down low, turbo pick up feels slightly better.
I hit the motorway and gave her a little blast down the slip road, happily went to 7k rpm with no problems (no need to go any higher as the BHP and torque have dropped off by then), much smoother, much nicer to drive (and a little bit more induction noise )

My car is now how it should be, so it shows you that a panel filter can improve the way your car drives, I have kept the old filter (its still virtually clean, just a little bit of a dirt mark on it) so when I get on a rolling road next I will test both back to back and show you the difference it makes

One happy bunny and one happy Spec C

Tony

Last edited by TonyBurns; 11 September 2010 at 04:35 PM.
Old 11 September 2010, 05:00 PM
Cannon Fodder
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm surprised you did not fit a Do F*ck filter (well that's what I think their called) Tony.

I have a Green panel filter and my Spec C is like yours remapped for UK fuel and is around 350bhp and happily revs to the red line if I want it to.

But like you say there is no point taking it much beyond 6k as the torque band just falls away.
Old 11 September 2010, 06:33 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Wink

Originally Posted by Cannon Fodder
I'm surprised you did not fit a Do F*ck filter (well that's what I think their called) Tony.
Yes something like that

Tony
Old 11 September 2010, 06:40 PM
Shaun
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Now you just need a turbo that makes use of that filter Tony. The VF is out of puff at 6k!

Just had my LM400 on the dyno today.... the power curve is very very impressive, especially when you see what it is still making past 7300rpm. Awesome turbo imo. The mid range will blow your socks off compared to the wheezing VF36/37.
Old 12 September 2010, 01:13 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Im trying to save up to go on holiday to NZ next year Shaun, and your tempting me with an LM400 (maybe after I come back )

Tony