Notices

Using 95 ron fuel

Search this Thread

Old 09 September 2010, 01:48 PM
Probein
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Using 95 ron fuel

Would using regular fuel in a remapped car actually cause damage to the car, or just decrease performance?

The guy I bought mine from said he used 95 ron and never had any problems - I've been using V-power since purchase, but I'm starting to wonder if I should just give regular fuel a go. I'm not worried about a wee drop in performance (unless it's massively noticable), but what I don't want to do is cause any lasting damage.

Cheers!
Old 09 September 2010, 01:57 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Uk cars (excluding PPP, P1, 22B and UK STI's) its ok, PPP is recommended to use 97+, the others NEED 97+
Your v power will increase performance, fuel economy and smoothness due to a more efficient burn, stick with it

Tony
Old 09 September 2010, 01:57 PM
my94wrx
Scooby Regular

what car? if the car has been remapped then it should only be run on the fuel it was mapped for, if i went to look at a car that had been mapped for example v-power and the person has been using 95ron i would run away.
Old 09 September 2010, 01:58 PM
turboaddict
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Probein
Would using regular fuel in a remapped car actually cause damage to the car, or just decrease performance?

The guy I bought mine from said he used 95 ron and never had any problems - I've been using V-power since purchase, but I'm starting to wonder if I should just give regular fuel a go. I'm not worried about a wee drop in performance (unless it's massively noticable), but what I don't want to do is cause any lasting damage.

Cheers!
would be good if you could state what model what year ,uk or import etc etc also mods.... but by the sound of it the last owner had it mapped, so he would of had it mapped using 95 ron if thats what he told you he uses to run it on.....so the cars been mapped to run on 95 ron use 95 ron

Last edited by turboaddict; 09 September 2010 at 02:01 PM.
Old 09 September 2010, 02:03 PM
New_scooby_04

Potentially damage the engine! What MY car are we talking about?

If the car has been mapped for V power it will expect 99RON, if it gets 95 at best it'll run like a bag of spanners because the ECU will throw all it's ignition advance out of the window and pull everything back to protect the engine.

At worst, (if the ECU can't adapt sufficiently) and you drive it like it's meant to be driven, it'll DET its **** off and you'll be in the market for a new engine!

Scoobies are very sensitive to the type of fuel and oil used.

If you want to run MY95, you'll need to get twin maps installed, one for the crap, one for the good stuff.

To be honest though mate, running one of these cars on 95 is a bit like buying a racehorse and feeding it sugar lumps!

Open your wallet you tight sod!
Old 09 September 2010, 04:13 PM
wrxjoe
Scooby Newbie

I run a simtek on my98 uk turbo, with one map for 95ron and one map for 99ron. Only reason is because i can't get 99ron on the island i stay on and if i run out of V-power before hitting the mainland. My recommendation is get the car mapped for 99ron and use that because as said above its not worth the loss in performance and the fuel consumption difference is minimal IMO.