Notices

subaru not started for 2 years ... do's and don'ts please

Search this Thread

Old 02 September 2010, 06:07 PM
crossfire
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default subaru not started for 2 years ... do's and don'ts please

as above i need a bit of info i will be conecting a new battery then what should i get looked at I.E. service, oil change... the engine has had a top spec rebuild in the past and i dont want to damage it..

thanks for any advice
Old 02 September 2010, 06:22 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

IMHO

Engine.
Change the oil and filter
spin it over with the plugs out for 30 or so seconds to get the oil around the engine with it not under load - or the crank sensor thingie where you disconnect it so it will not start whilst spinning over.

Think about cambelt when it was last changed, i think they have a life of around 4 years before needing changing also this is miles dependent as well but time/age is important.
press and release the clutch a few times

Other
I would put new fuel into the tank and change the fuel filter

brakes check not siezed on best left with the handbrake off and the wheels chocked and the car in gear when leaving for a long period if time. Pump the brakes a few times before moving off, pull away slowly and check the brakes work. think about changing the front pads at least

after starting let it idle for 30 or so seconds before pulling off, checking the brakes work and take it for a gentle run 30 miles off boost adding a few revs during the journey towards the end of the run add a little boost. and keep checking the brakes when safe to do so.

check all the fluid levels, think about changing the coolant soon as well, probably the brake and clutch fluids as well, they absorb water over time.

charge the battery.

check your tyre pressures are correct

watch the clutch plate is not siezed to the flywheel by pumping the clutch, you should feel/hear it release.

That should get you going.

take it easy for the first 100 miles and let things loosen up use boost conservatively during this period.

this may sound a little odd but change the screenwash if left for long periods it can turn acidic and damage the paint, i know a chap who had to have his 246 Dino resprayed due to this!

Last edited by The Zohan; 02 September 2010 at 06:26 PM.
Old 02 September 2010, 07:46 PM
scoobydoobsteve
Scooby Newbie

I second the screenwash as bacteria like legionella can grow and that would be nasty if you breath the spray in.
Old 03 September 2010, 03:31 PM
SkydiveMacca
Scooby Regular

Also, instead of taking the plugs out, you can just remove the fuse (i think it's 10 off the top of my head on a newage) for the fuel pump and crank it over. Replace fuse. Then start.